Got dealer "heads up" on RS ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Re Cup cars - you sound like you understand performance/value, why get a Cup car over a prototype or open wheel car? If you get a race car with no doors, no windows, >1000lbs downforce instead of <500lbs, it's cheaper and way faster. Once you've tried open wheel or prototype cars, hard to go back to a street-type race car.

Also, very curious your impressions of the new Corvette. I saw a Motortrend comparo test at Laguna Seca (which just seems like a power track) between the F12, the 9914S, and the Stingray. Stingray was basically the same speed as the 9114s (both almost as fast as the 700bhp+ Ferrari) but lacked driving dynamics and lost out in the voting.
I'll tell you why I drive tin-top GT cars vs open wheel prototypes. The latter are death traps. Flimsy, fragile and totally exposed. I've been in a few race incidents and the only one that truly scared me was in a Radical SR3. I am happy to pay 2x or 3x the money to drive a real race car. Otherwise you're talking about an LMP2 car and then the budget shames even the most expensive gt3 or GTE-pro car.

edit: sorry for topic tangent
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Corvette was really ugly on paper, and found out that it's way uglier in person. Finish on the carbon roof was probably built by Ray Charles, it's bumpier than Sebring. Car sits 4 inches or more off the ground, had to ask if it was on transport blocks, and answer was no.
The rear, welll, let's not get there.
Dealer service and people were the most disgusting I have ever seen.
Perfect car for those old fat farts that want to show off. Plain disgusting experience.
For me impossible to own.
If that's what it takes to own a 'inexpensive' analog hi performance car, I'll learn how to play soccer.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^I had a similar reaction to the Stingrays I saw at Laguna Seca in August. From 100' away they looked passable but up close I wasn't impressed. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.....
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I thought Corvette was really ugly on paper, and found out that it's way uglier in person. Finish on the carbon roof was probably built by Ray Charles, it's bumpier than Sebring. Car sits 4 inches or more off the ground, had to ask if it was on transport blocks, and answer was no.
Perfect car for those old fat farts that want to show off. Plain disgusting experience.
If that's what it takes to own a 'inexpensive' analog hi performance car, I'll learn how to play soccer.
You must have gone shopping with the infamous TRAKCAR Might be time for you to eat some more Crow and look at the new M3/4

Peter
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The New Corvette looks like it was more influenced by Michael Bay Transformer Movies. As I can compare a lot of the Camaro Styling Cues from the same firm of designers who did that car and then were given the Corvette in Incubate!

I'm really looking forward to the new Interior, really hope they brought it up to "WORLD" Standards as in Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche Finally. I know Cadillac has been trying harder lately with the Recaro Seats and Interior Styling of their 5000BHP CTS-V Supercharged Car.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

The wider body z06 Vette will be a more appropriate conpetitor to the gt3, and should look significantly better also. I've heard the Vette looks much better in real life though.. Funny how some cars do well in pics, and some are better in real life
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The wider body z06 Vette will be a more appropriate conpetitor to the gt3, and should look significantly better also. I've heard the Vette looks much better in real life though.. Funny how some cars do well in pics, and some are better in real life
Completely disagree. I thought it looked reasonably promising in pics (aside from the rear), but in person it looked crude and cheap to my eyes. I was very unimpressed. Agree on the transformer reference, but that's not a compliment as it looks like a toy.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I felt the same as Rob; the car looked better in pictures than it did in person......
Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess it's true that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" I think the new Corvette is a beautiful car, far better looking than some previous models, especially the interior, which has been hugely upgraded. Having raced a tube-framed DeKon Monza in vintage, after many years of racing Porsches, gave me a whole new respect for that great 6 Liter Chevrolet small-block V-8 Engine, turning lap times out-of-the-box within tenths of my far newer 993 GT2 factory race car. My guess would be that the new ZO6 Corvette will turn laps at Nurburgring faster than any of the newest 991s with half the cost of acquisition, maintenance, parts and Overhaul costs. "Their is no substitute for Cubic Inches" is still valid today.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

From what I have been told, deliveries of the GT3RS will be impacted much more than the GT3 by the
extension of early delivery options of both models to the 918 purchasers. Apparently more 918 Buyers
are accepting the RS option. This likely will delay allocations of the GT3RS to dealers until all the 918/GT3RS buyers have been factored into the production line. We also don't know if PAG will increase production of the GT3RS to compensate for 918 Buyer's orders, as they committed to on the GT3.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
From what I have been told, deliveries of the GT3RS will be impacted much more than the GT3 by the
extension of early delivery options of both models to the 918 purchasers. Apparently more 918 Buyers
are accepting the RS option. This likely will delay allocations of the GT3RS to dealers until all the 918/GT3RS buyers have been factored into the production line. We also don't know if PAG will increase production of the GT3RS to compensate for 918 Buyer's orders, as they committed to on the GT3.
This concerns me. So if Porsche were to come out with another limited run GT model of the 991, like a GT2RS or RS 4.?, then perhaps the entire allocation will go to the 918 buyers. Guess we'll see...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cconsidering that there will be presumably 918 buyers of the 918 and the RS4.0 was limited to 600 cars...that is a real possibility.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That preference programme that PCNA put in place for 918 buyers is going to cause slow down in allocations for every new limited edition model moving forward I suspect. What a silly programme. They obviously were concerned for sales of the 918 at the time!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That preference programme that PCNA put in place for 918 buyers is going to cause slow down in allocations for every new limited edition model moving forward I suspect. What a silly programme. They obviously were concerned for sales of the 918 at the time!
just like when you fly an airline where you don't have status and you think their program sucks.. until you get status upgrades and then you're grateful for it. 918 buyers must love this
Old 10-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I received my info direct from Porsche. October 2014 delivery, $180,000 M.S.R.P. As the GT3 has very little clickable on it I expect the GT3 RS to be around $190,000 loaded up. The base for the RS 4.0 which has the same power was $185,000....
And despite everyone wanting a 4.0, it's still not a good value compared to the 997.2 RS. It's sad that the 991 RS will also not be a good value...

Quick Reply: Got dealer "heads up" on RS ...