Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Uwe Alzen, the 991 GT3 and the Nordschleife come together

Enjoy!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that, Yannick!

Albeit marketing material from Dunlop, it is nice footage and Uwe expressed even more promising feedback about the engine, steering, chassis and handling, summed up in "this car is clearly better than the old GT3".

I so remember the trickiness of a wet Nordschleife, slowing drying up in the morning sun. Missing out on Uwe's expert driving skills by a huge margin, regardless of the car I was driving, in these conditions, due to continuously changing track conditions, it always felt like walking on eggs and I was always happy to bring the car (and myself, for that matter!) back into the parking lot in one piece!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks, Yannick! Marketing material or no, I love hearing that thing rev. Wish my German was better, but Uwe definitely seemed to like the car. Wunderschöne und sensationelle....
Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So, for a newbie track person (I have done many motorcycle track days, and done level one Porsche academy - came in 1st place :-). ) what would more expert drivers suggest when I pick up my gt3 with ED next year? Should I pootle around the nurburgring just to feel like I did it?.. Are there enough blind corners where if I get on it a bit I risk trashing my new car. I've played the ring on video games my whole life, but I still can't remember every corner
Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my in house translation from one of my German colleagues:

"He takes it slower on the ring than usual due to the road condition and describes each feature of the ring.

As to the car, he says the car is an improvement to the previous version, the engine responds well, the larger wheel distance helps immensely. Altogether, a race machine which challenges the driver. He regrets that the road is wet. The car drives fantastically, even under less than perfect road condition. The gears work well with the engine and it is pure fun to drive it.

Get one while they are on sale."
Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, for a newbie track person (I have done many motorcycle track days, and done level one Porsche academy - came in 1st place :-). ) what would more expert drivers suggest when I pick up my gt3 with ED next year? Should I pootle around the nurburgring just to feel like I did it?.. Are there enough blind corners where if I get on it a bit I risk trashing my new car. I've played the ring on video games my whole life, but I still can't remember every corner
Calexio,

In my opinion, you've got a couple of options, depending on your personal preference:
- take a lap in the Ring-taxi (M5) with Sabine or one of her colleagues (book well in advance though)
- hire a tutor for a instruction in their car or your GT3
- drive yourself... either in your GT3 or even a rental car, but contain your enthusiasm! Be aware: your insurance normally does not cover you here.

Whatever you decide: do get there, even if you decide not to drive with your GT3. Even spending some time at the parking lot is good fun.

There are no fully blind corners, yet there are plenty that turn out very different than you expect when coming in. Off camber, tightening corners, corners that you have to sacrifice for a proper next one, slippery surfaces where the trees are covering the track, lots of other traffic with huge speed and experience differences (from 911 Cups to Ford Transits) and so on.

I've driven my first couple of laps with my (then) 996 Turbo about 8 years ago and decided that same day that if I wanted to properly enjoy this amazingly challenging track by pushing my car, I needed a car that I could crash and walk away from, without any harms, physically as well as financially. Hence I bought an E36 M3, stripped it, put in a roll cage and racing seats and had a blast until a friend crashed it. My fourth lap (and second timed one) on the Ring was under the 10 minutes from bridge to gantry... I was ecstatic!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

I´ll ask him how he likes the car if I see him the next time!

Some whistle that he has ordered one for himself
Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by frayed
Here's my in house translation from one of my German colleagues:

"He takes it slower on the ring than usual due to the road condition and describes each feature of the ring.

As to the car, he says the car is an improvement to the previous version, the engine responds well, the larger wheel distance helps immensely. Altogether, a race machine which challenges the driver. He regrets that the road is wet. The car drives fantastically, even under less than perfect road condition. The gears work well with the engine and it is pure fun to drive it.

Get one while they are on sale."
Thats all he said in a 13min vid? Something tells me I just got the Kung Fu movie translation.
Wish youtube had subtitles.

Great sounding vid, thanks for the post.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
In my opinion, you've got a couple of options, depending on your personal preference:
- take a lap in the Ring-taxi (M5) with Sabine or one of her colleagues (book well in advance though)
- hire a tutor for a instruction in their car or your GT3
- drive yourself... either in your GT3 or even a rental car, but contain your enthusiasm! Be aware: your insurance normally does not cover you here.

Whatever you decide: do get there, even if you decide not to drive with your GT3. Even spending some time at the parking lot is good fun.
I think Sabine has been running her own show for a couple years now. Somebody else drives the BMW 'ring taxi.

I did ED with my M3 in late 2001, and the 'ring taxi was not running. I drove some laps myself in my car, which was great, but even better was riding with some experienced 'ring rats I met in the parking lot.

You definitely have to go. Never know how much longer it will be there...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dude-
Thats all he said in a 13min vid? Something tells me I just got the Kung Fu movie translation.

Great sounding vid, thanks for the post.
LOL! Dr. Weber is on my payroll but unreliable! He said he got interrupted.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Wish Granted.

Turn on closed captions [cc] click the box that says German, change it to Automatic Translation, select the language you are translating to.

I chose English, and was treated to wonderful translation oddity such as "the shack a guest" Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by lordpantsington
Wish Granted.

Turn on closed captions [cc] click the box that says German, change it to Automatic Translation, select the language you are translating to.

I chose English, and was treated to wonderful translation oddity such as "the shack a guest" Enjoy!
NO WAYYYYY!!!!!!! wow thanks lord, that was easy. Looks like youtube got PDK-S too!!!! Now I can access the content enjoyment from all over the world.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
the best value for money at the 'ring is the 24 hour course. by far. without question. rent a suzuki swift like what your instructor will have.

i have done many VLN & 24 hour there. the ring is not a place to rush. it is truly a privilege to drive there but every single lap is different; every time i turn left on hatzenback i don't know what is going to happen for the next 8-10 minutes of my life.

cheers
Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

asked a guy from nearby ( won 24 hours LM privateer in 1970s) how long until one can "know the circuit" he said 100 laps
Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

24 hr course eh?.. I'll look it up.. Sounds fantastic. Thanks. I can't imagine anything worse than trashing a new gt3 at the ring and not even getting to finish the ED part of ownership LOL

Quick Reply: Uwe Alzen, the 991 GT3 and the Nordschleife come together