Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have asked about CL.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I propose that from now on, that anybody who says a car is too easy to drive fast is required to post actual lap times they personally achieved at a track.
Honestly, the easiest car to drive fast is a full out race car.

I drove back to back a 07 gt3 on toyo's and my 04cup on michelins monday at Lime rock park. The race car is more forgiving due to the improved suspension. I raced for near 20 years in Pca. I could go so much faster on corner entry with a PDK. On the street yes a manual is fun because there is nothing else involving your senses, but on the track that is a different story. If you not going to the track with it I'm not sure why you need a GT3, although it is still a street car. Buy a manual Carrera while you can.

BTW @ Lime Rock Park 1.53 miles 07 GT3 1:03.0 sec/lap 04 cup 55-56's, I was still impressed with the GT3. Manuals are an out going Technology, for good reason.

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 09-12-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera

I drove back to back a 07 gt3 on toyo's and my 04cup on michelins monday at Lime rock park. The race car is more forgiving due to the improved suspension. I raced for near 20 years in Pca. I could go so much faster on corner entry with a PDK. On the street yes a manual is fun because there is nothing else involving your senses, but on the track that is a different story. If you not going to the track with it I'm not sure why you need a GT3, although it is still a street car. Buy a manual Carrera while you can.

BTW @ Lime Rock Park 1.53 miles 07 GT3 1:03.0 sec/lap 04 cup 55-56's, I was still impressed with the GT3. Manuals are an out going Technology, for good reason.
^^ I like this guy...
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, what PDK car were you driving?

Worked in Schenectady (Niskayuna), and lived in Clifton Park for a spell. Short season you have up there.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=frayed;10757370]Bob, what PDK car were you driving?

Worked in Schenectady (Niskayuna), and lived in Clifton Park for a spell. Short season you have up there.[/QUOTe)
Funny I live in Niskayuna. You worked at Knolls Atomic I presume.

The GT3 was a manual with what feels like more power than the cup but you guys would know better that I.

The Cayenne GTS is a PDK not nearly as good as the coming GT3. My track friend has a 991 GT3 on order. I'll get a drive in may or June. Can't wait . I've considering a new GT3 for street and occasional track use. Still can't live without a real race car.

And BTW if the car is too easy to drive your not going fast enough. LOL

Bob
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Hey Bob, I was counsel for GE in the research center. Understood on the race car thing. No time for one now, so a combo street/track car is what's in order for me. Looking forward to the new GT3.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Hey Bob, I was counsel for GE in the research center. Understood on the race car thing. No time for one now, so a combo street/track car is what's in order for me. Looking forward to the new GT3.
The new GT3 will be the best to date street / track car. When is the RS due??
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM
frayed
Race Car

summer 15 I think.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
With the 991 GT3 "I cannot say that I am a good driver...just that it is a good car". (due to electronic aids)

- Walter Rohrl

Hmm...I'm getting more and more concerned about driver involvement.
That comment troubled me too, especially coming from him.

Yes, we can go faster to compensate for the car being 'easy to drive', but forget about doing that on the road, and it will take serious skill and ***** to approach the limits of this car on the track. Let's remember, everything happens faster with a faster car - including wrecks!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=fstockcarrera;10757461]
Originally Posted by frayed
Bob, what PDK car were you driving?

Worked in Schenectady (Niskayuna), and lived in Clifton Park for a spell. Short season you have up there.[/QUOTe)
Funny I live in Niskayuna. You worked at Knolls Atomic I presume.

The GT3 was a manual with what feels like more power than the cup but you guys would know better that I.

The Cayenne GTS is a PDK not nearly as good as the coming GT3. My track friend has a 991 GT3 on order. I'll get a drive in may or June. Can't wait . I've considering a new GT3 for street and occasional track use. Still can't live without a real race car.

And BTW if the car is too easy to drive your not going fast enough. LOL

Bob
The cayenne GTS is a tiptronic, so not nearly as good as any PDK.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

but better when offroad and crawling.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera

easy to drive the cup also b/c lack of wt. the cup takes way less time to take a SET.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That's what concerns me a bit in a 996 CUP.
I don't want to get rushed and beat up too much, especially the morning sessions give me vertigo when too hung over.

I like the gradual setting into the corner of the piggy RS cars, but I digger a CUP will have better seats for me to lean into instead of holding on so much.

At least I get to shift, I liked relic 915 shifting 2 weeks ago, fits my rhythm perfectly :-)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Corrected The GTS has a very quick PDK-esque, significantly different then our Cayenne S. Anyways.....
Old 09-15-2013, 11:35 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That's what concerns me a bit in a 996 CUP.
I don't want to get rushed and beat up too much, especially the morning sessions give me vertigo when too hung over.

I like the gradual setting into the corner of the piggy RS cars, but I digger a CUP will have better seats for me to lean into instead of holding on so much.

At least I get to shift, I liked relic 915 shifting 2 weeks ago, fits my rhythm perfectly :-)
you will be fine just start out slow

Quick Reply: Motor Trend