Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, I wanted a car with lift. I passed on few with out it. But in the end I ended up buying one with out it cause I fell in love with that particular car and in every other way it was perfect car for me. Now that I don't have it, it is not as horrible as I imagined it would be. I scraped it few times, but most times "doing it" at an angle takes care of it. Even when you do scrape, being rubber/soft plastic the sound is not as sickening as I thought it would be. Having said that if I lived in SF or somewhere with crazy hills and driveways, I would get it, but in the suburbs it is fine with out it.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Hey Nick-
I drove my .2 GT3 over 7000 miles in several different states and had zero issues. What I mean by that is I never had to replace the lip, it never appeared as though it needed replacing and never limted me driving the car. That said, I did not have to navigate steep parking garages or drive places like SF. I hope this helps.

I also skipped the lift on my 991 order.
I appreciate your input.

I have never had an issue with front end scrapping with my Ferrari's and Porsche's. However, Frayed is correct in saying I have never owned a GT Porsche. But I have driven the CGT more times than I can remember and rarely experienced serious scrapping issues. I also spent a lot of seat time in a Stradale and did not have a problem.

I suppose some buyers have unique problems which require a lifter and I get that. But I don't believe it is a requirement for everyone as some would suggest.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
NO need for your rudeness in responding. However, I thank you for confirming what I suspected. With or without the lifter, you will be scrapping.

Furthermore, I cannot believe that Porsche would design the front end to make it almost unusable for street DD as you portray. If that was the case, the front lifter would have been standard.

Again, thanks for your input.
To restate what 911 rox said. Yes, he scrapes anyway. But it's more than that. W/o it he'd destroy structural components, not just the cheap lip.

In the end its highly dependent on usage.

The parking garage I go into and out of every day and my driveway don't actually require it, but the lift it allows me to use these passageways w/o the usual 45 degree angle rock-crawling-esque approach.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

scrape

scraping
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
FWIW, I wanted a car with lift. I passed on few with out it. But in the end I ended up buying one with out it cause I fell in love with that particular car and in every other way it was perfect car for me. Now that I don't have it, it is not as horrible as I imagined it would be. I scraped it few times, but most times "doing it" at an angle takes care of it. Even when you do scrape, being rubber/soft plastic the sound is not as sickening as I thought it would be. Having said that if I lived in SF or somewhere with crazy hills and driveways, I would get it, but in the suburbs it is fine with out it.
FWIW, agree about "doing it" at angles. Also understand why some wouldn't get lift. I was able to navigate SF without a nose lift system in a dozen or so GT2s and GT3s without scraping much if at all, and never damaging the visible surfaces (front/top) of the spoilers for 1,000-1,500 miles at a time in "very daily" situations. Many of those cars were tested while I lived in some of SF's hilliest neighborhoods. It became a point of pride to return the cars without scrapes. Extreme angling, two-move entry into driveways, and choosing not to go to certain lots/streets/intersections made it possible. But I also remember a 997-1 GT3 RS that could be driven up the alley to my garage but could only get out if I reversed all the way down the alley—and that was most of a city block! Also: coming out of driveways at super aggressive angles often meant other drivers had to suddenly change their plans when they were trying to mind oncoming traffic as they turned into or out of the driveway I was trying to negotiate like the Rubicon Trail at 0.025 mph. Just not polite—or safe.

Even if you've got "the touch" with cars like Turbos (easy) and CGTs (among the toughest, but not the toughest), this is the one area of a GT3 (any GT3) that tends to limit the car's usability against other 911s. I'd never raise a GT3's ride height to fix that...but if a nose lift kit is available and works, it's the perfect solution. If you have no steep driveways in your life—or, as one RLer noted, will not be keeping the car—I get why one might skip it. Otherwise, I'd want it.

pete

P.S. That same 997-1 GT3 RS couldn't be loaded onto a flatbed without scraping the front spoiler, and badly. Tailpipes, too.

P.P.S. I can't even imagine the stress of running one of these cars with a painted front lip. That's just crazy talk.

Last edited by stout; 09-14-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

So what's the toughest?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
scrape

scraping
Oops! My bad.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
- the steepness of an incline is irrelevant. It's the sharpness of the transition leading into that incline that is problematic.
+1 My neighbor's driveway is steeper than mine but I have a more abrupt transition. I could negotiate his with no problem, but scraped the wheel fairings on mine with the Carrera S every time regardless of AOT. With the lower ride height and deep spoiler on the GT3 I'd risk damage every day I drove the car without the lift.

I find I can run into "transition" issue anywhere, not just in hilly areas. A simple parking lot entrance can be problematic sometimes and you end of doing the Rubicon Trail dance that Pete S describes.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 My neighbor's driveway is steeper than mine but I have a more abrupt transition. I could negotiate his with no problem, but scraped the wheel fairings on mine with the Carrera S every time regardless of AOT. With the lower ride height and deep spoiler on the GT3 I'd risk damage every day I drove the car without the lift.

I find I can run into "transition" issue anywhere, not just in hilly areas. A simple parking lot entrance can be problematic sometimes and you end of doing the Rubicon Trail dance that Pete S describes.
Exactly... you'll also learn to avoid tackling some driveways, streets etc just for the mere fact that clearance won't let you tackle them without risk of more damage than just a few scrapes... and it isn't just the front lip, the brake ducts etc get hammered to...
Old 09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
modifier
Instructor

Anyone know approximately how much the system weighs?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

7KG or about 15lbs.

It's down low and in the front which isn't all bad.....
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stout
FWIW, agree about "doing it" at angles. Also understand why some wouldn't get lift. I was able to navigate SF without a nose lift system in a dozen or so GT2s and GT3s without scraping much if at all, and never damaging the visible surfaces (front/top) of the spoilers for 1,000-1,500 miles at a time in "very daily" situations. Many of those cars were tested while I lived in some of SF's hilliest neighborhoods. It became a point of pride to return the cars without scrapes. Extreme angling, two-move entry into driveways, and choosing not to go to certain lots/streets/intersections made it possible. But I also remember a 997-1 GT3 RS that could be driven up the alley to my garage but could only get out if I reversed all the way down the alley—and that was most of a city block! Also: coming out of driveways at super aggressive angles often meant other drivers had to suddenly change their plans when they were trying to mind oncoming traffic as they turned into or out of the driveway I was trying to negotiate like the Rubicon Trail at 0.025 mph. Just not polite—or safe.

Even if you've got "the touch" with cars like Turbos (easy) and CGTs (among the toughest, but not the toughest), this is the one area of a GT3 (any GT3) that tends to limit the car's usability against other 911s. I'd never raise a GT3's ride height to fix that...but if a nose lift kit is available and works, it's the perfect solution. If you have no steep driveways in your life—or, as one RLer noted, will not be keeping the car—I get why one might skip it. Otherwise, I'd want it.

pete

P.S. That same 997-1 GT3 RS couldn't be loaded onto a flatbed without scraping the front spoiler, and badly. Tailpipes, too.

P.P.S. I can't even imagine the stress of running one of these cars with a painted front lip. That's just crazy talk.
Thanks Peter for the detailed input. My experience in GT is much more limited, so I will gladly defer to you.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Thanks Peter for the detailed input. My experience in GT is much more limited, so I will gladly defer to you.
Hoped the detail would prove helpful for someone sitting on the fence with the option—one way or the other.

If you own a GT3, I'm not sure I'd say your experience is more limited. Just different. In road testing a car, you can learn a lot of useful information about it in a week if you really use the car. Testing the various versions over the years helps, too. But there is no replacement for the perspective that comes over months or years with a car.

Great looking GT3 in your avatar, btw!

pete
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So Pete, does this mean that unless I use the system while driving, that I could encounter streets in the city where I could hit the front end? I'm asking in reference to your comment ab avoiding certain intersections.

I have a slightly lowered BMW 5 series wagon, and I've scraped the middle of the car (high centered) coming down a few streets (some intersections on chestnut, and a few others in north beach where I live.

Would be crazy to have to predict an intersection and predict having to lift my gt3. Still not sure I can get this into my garage.. Need to find a way to check the uneven departure/approach angle.

Lastly, someone mentioned "borrowing an old gt3 from a dealer"...can't imagine a dealer letting anyone do this, but I would appreciate the experience of driving the car in the city. My spot is at Sonnen Porsche.. Anyone actually tried this before or is that just worthless Internet talk?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Hoped the detail would prove helpful for someone sitting on the fence with the option—one way or the other.
Definitely, I wish I had that level of detail when I was still shopping.

If you own a GT3, I'm not sure I'd say your experience is more limited. Just different. In road testing a car, you can learn a lot of useful information about it in a week if you really use the car. Testing the various versions over the years helps, too. But there is no replacement for the perspective that comes over months or years with a car.

Great looking GT3 in your avatar, btw!

pete
Thanks Pete. Only been couple of months and only few spirited drives old (including a wonderful one to Half moon with mooty, chasen and his dad) so still getting used to having the engine in the wrong end.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lifter