Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Says the guy who has never owned a GT3.

--------------------

sullivan, I'm with ya. I'm Austin as well and while not San Fran, there are enough sharp transition places where live with a 997 or 996 GT3 is a PITA.
I owned a 997.2 TTCab and I very much doubt the 997GT3 was much lower. BTW, I never replaced the rubber lip even though it had its share of scraps.

The lifter makes sense if you have a very steep driveway. However, be prepared for possible failures with the lifter. According to owners with the 997 lifter they experienced a high percentage of failures. One can hope that Porsche has made them more reliable with the 991.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I owned a 997.2 TTCab and I very much doubt the 997GT3 was much lower. BTW, I never replaced the rubber lip even though it had its share of scraps.

The lifter makes sense if you have a very steep driveway. However, be prepared for possible failures with the lifter. According to owners with the 997 lifter they experienced a high percentage of failures. One can hope that Porsche has made them more reliable with the 991.
I have a 2010 GT3 and a 2011 Turbo S cab. Trust me, the GT3 is lower. I can go in and out of my driveway with the Turbo S without ever scraping the front lip but must use the lift on the GT3 to not scrape. I am definitely getting the lift on my 991 GT3.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

GT and non-GT Porsches are in different leagues when it comes to front end clearance.

Oh, and according to the latest PET update, the front lip is closer to $350 now for the 997.2. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to $500 for the 991...
Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So presumptuous Nick. Again, you've never lived with a GT car. See the posts above from Serge and from jfr. There are pics around of the 997 GT3 pre and post lift deployment. Compare those numbers with your TT cab. you'll be surprised.

Further clarifications:

- the steepness of an incline is irrelevant. It's the sharpness of the transition leading into that incline that is problematic.

- you state as fact that there's a 'high percentage of failures'. Like many things, the interwebs magnifies issues. There are a bunch of lifted GT3s in TX; I talked to the shop foreman at my dealership and in Dallas. Not one failure. Besides, extrapolating lift failure from the 997 to the 991 is suspect at best.

I'm not advocating that you buy the lift. I'm just letting folks know the issue is not a clear cut as you try to make it out to be since you've convinced yourself that the lift is not needed.

The low front lip height and extended overhang, and the consequent scraping even going int a typical parking garage or even gas station, was one of bigger drawbacks of street use of my prior GT3s. Right up there with the tiresome tramlining and NVH of the 996 GT3.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
yellowmz3
Advanced

I had the axle lift on my previous GT3 and thought it was great. Personally, when I hear any part of my car scraping the pavement it sends shivers up my spine. Just **** about that stuff. I ordered my 991 with it as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I do not care if someone options a lifter or doesn't. I stated my reasons for opting not to order it. I realize some are very **** about front end scrapping.

My question is very simple. Will you incur scrapping with the lifter? If the answer is yes but not as often or not as bad to me a scrap is a scrap and after a year or so no one would be able to tell the difference between a car with a lifter and a car without. The front rubber piece will show scraps.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

I do not care if someone options a lifter or doesn't. I stated my reasons for opting not to order it. I realize some are very **** about front end scrapping.

My question is very simple. Will you incur scrapping with the lifter? If the answer is yes but not as often or not as bad to me a scrap is a scrap and after a year or so no one would be able to tell the difference between a car with a lifter and a car without. The front rubber piece will show scraps.
Nick -- why not borrow an old GT3 from your local dealer and take it for a long drive over the weekend?

If your reference point for choosing GT3 options is a TT Cab, you might be in for a bit of a surprise...

Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 911 GT3 Front Axle Lift...

Porsche 911 GT3 Front Axle Lift...

Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Great post GTS. Thanks for the detail.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

To those that have a lifter on their 997 GT3, do you still occasionally scrap the front end?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Seriously, are you unable to read or is the problem comprehending??? I gave actual figures about 15 posts back... Just to be clear, even after front lift is activated, the approach angle it can handle is less than that of a reg Carrera... Look at a side profile of the two cars and you may notice why.

My car scrapes on flat drive ways, it has even scraped at 60kmh on bad surfaces. On steep driveways it scrapes badly with front lift. Without it, you won't be sacrificing a lip, you'll be tearing off your bumper bar...
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

To those that have a lifter on their 997 GT3, do you still occasionally scrap the front end?
YES!!! you scrape where you would otherwise be ripping off your front bar without it...
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Lucky my car is certified....constant problems with my front lift....mainly that it goes up, but doesn't go down all the time....and the dealer is trying not to replace the system, but regardless, it's nice to have, especially for loading and unloading off my trailer.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Seriously, are you unable to read or is the problem comprehending??? I gave actual figures about 15 posts back... Just to be clear, even after front lift is activated, the approach angle it can handle is less than that of a reg Carrera... Look at a side profile of the two cars and you may notice why.

My car scrapes on flat drive ways, it has even scraped at 60kmh on bad surfaces. On steep driveways it scrapes badly with front lift. Without it, you won't be sacrificing a lip, you'll be tearing off your bumper bar...
NO need for your rudeness in responding. However, I thank you for confirming what I suspected. With or without the lifter, you will be scrapping.

Furthermore, I cannot believe that Porsche would design the front end to make it almost unusable for street DD as you portray. If that was the case, the front lifter would have been standard.

Again, thanks for your input.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Nick-
I drove my .2 GT3 over 7000 miles in several different states and had zero issues. What I mean by that is I never had to replace the lip, it never appeared as though it needed replacing and never limted me driving the car. That said, I did not have to navigate steep parking garages or drive places like SF. I hope this helps.

I also skipped the lift on my 991 order.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lifter