Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Dam you guys, now I just change my GT3 to PCCB's too. Dev911, is the dash wart standard? I don't see it in your options.
Wart is not standard.
I don't like it, although it is much more integrated than the last gen.
As you likely already know, SC on a gt3 doesn't provide the performance benefit like other 911s. So, personal choice of course.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just got the same email Tom,

"Your car is now due to be completed week 39 (between 22nd – 28th September 2013). Its estimated arrival timescale is now week 47 (between 17th -23rd November 2013 )"

Seems like the first batch( 3 cars) are being put in with the second batch now(7cars) and will all be delivered around week 47.

Hopefully no more delays.

Arth
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Regarding PCCB's EVO drove both the 991TT and 991TTS which had ceramics as standard and found the Porsche steel brakes on the TT superb and opined they would order the TT with standard brakes over the TTS which has PCCB's.

I posted their conclusion in another thread.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Wart is not standard.
I don't like it, although it is much more integrated than the last gen.
As you likely already know, SC on a gt3 doesn't provide the performance benefit like other 911s. So, personal choice of course.
Does anyone know exactly what is included with the wart? Looks like it's the digital stopwatch and the G-meter display if PCM is selected and only the stopwatch with the standard system. I don't think either 'function' is worth the cosmetic blemish, but if something important is included, it would be nice to know.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz

Does anyone know exactly what is included with the wart? Looks like it's the digital stopwatch and the G-meter display if PCM is selected and only the stopwatch with the standard system. I don't think either 'function' is worth the cosmetic blemish, but if something important is included, it would be nice to know.
+1 would like to know exactly what features come with SC
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick
Regarding PCCB's EVO drove both the 991TT and 991TTS which had ceramics as standard and found the Porsche steel brakes on the TT superb and opined they would order the TT with standard brakes over the TTS which has PCCB's.

Dam it Nick. you just messed me up again.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dude-

Dam it Nick. you just messed me up again.
It's pretty simple really. If you're going to track the car, don't get PCCB. If it's for road use only, go for it.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

Here it is:

We also sampled a relatively basic standard 911 Turbo with steel brakes. To be perfectly honest, it felt pretty much exactly like a Turbo S - same runaway acceleration, same astonishing grip and traction, same terrific balance on the circuit and similar glimmers of outright brilliance on the road. The steel brakes were also superb and stood up to six laps of Bilster Berg (the launch’s circuit venue) at full speed with no issues at all. Our hunch is that a standard Turbo without PDCC could be the one to have.

What they reference specifically in that quote is PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control), not PCCB, although of course the TTS does have PCCB's and the standard brakes on the TT are no doubt excellent. Given that the price delta between the TT and TTS is $33K, and the performance is similar, I can understand where they're coming from.

I don't think we can turn this into a rational argument for one thing or the other. Once you've decided to buy a $150K winged sports car, rationality in the decision process probably slides down the list a bit. But we can probably all come up with ways to rationalize what we want. I decided I want, no need, those giant, lightweight, relatively dust-free, freaking stoppers, so there you have it.

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
It's pretty simple really. If you're going to track the car, don't get PCCB. If it's for road use only, go for it.
If you're going to track it extensively, I'm sure you're right.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

For me, the PCCB's don't make sense in either application.

For track use, they are lighter and more fade resistant. (never had a problem with standard iron brakes though) However, they are more easily damaged and expensive to replace. So, the cost-benefit just isn't there. For occasional track use they would be fine. However, the occasional track driver would not likely notice the benefit.

For the street, they are massive overkill. Anyone ever had an issue with stock brakes on the street?? OK, you get less brake dust. Again, for me the cost is not justified.

If I was made of money or had a sponsor buying new parts, sure. Otherwise, I cannot justify it. YMMV and all that.

Please - I'm not saying either decision is wrong. Just my opinion!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
lets not start THAT debate again!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Dude-
Pro

Thanks for more confusion. LOL. I guess I will revert back to standard, put the red stitches back on and donate 10k to a worthy college fundraiser at a local bar that has mysterious poles to support the roof.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's pretty simple really. If you have lots of $$$, get the PCCB. If you dont, dont.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
It's pretty simple really. If you have lots of $$$, get the PCCB. If you dont, dont.
...and if you have real $$$ get real ceramics....
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...cb-rotors.html
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
For me, the PCCB's don't make sense in either application.

For track use, they are lighter and more fade resistant. (never had a problem with standard iron brakes though) However, they are more easily damaged and expensive to replace. So, the cost-benefit just isn't there. For occasional track use they would be fine. However, the occasional track driver would not likely notice the benefit.

For the street, they are massive overkill. Anyone ever had an issue with stock brakes on the street?? OK, you get less brake dust. Again, for me the cost is not justified.

If I was made of money or had a sponsor buying new parts, sure. Otherwise, I cannot justify it. YMMV and all that.

Please - I'm not saying either decision is wrong. Just my opinion!
Valid points of course.
That said, the car is overkill.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're ordering ceramic brakes for anything BUT cosmetic reasons, you will be seriously disappointed. A lot of money for a bling option, but it does add a LOT of bling.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!