Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where, or who, can I goto to have custom rims made?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where, or who, can I goto to have custom rims made?

When I order my 991 Turbo I plan on getting it painted Arena Red like the Turbos I fell in love with in the 90s, talking 993 here. I know wrong forum but this one gets more traffic.

Who can make for me the same style rims that came standard on the 993 Turbos of almost 20 years ago in 20 inch size? And how much am I looking at for this engineering; about $20K?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

as romantic as it sounds, i think it might look like a hot blonde with her eyes crossed.

A custom one off set of 20" hollow spoke turbo twist in 5 lug or center lock would be a feat.

Photoshop would be a great way to decide.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
When I order my 991 Turbo I plan on getting it painted Arena Red like the Turbos I fell in love with in the 90s, talking 993 here. I know wrong forum but this one gets more traffic.

Who can make for me the same style rims that came standard on the 993 Turbos of almost 20 years ago in 20 inch size? And how much am I looking at for this engineering; about $20K?
HRE?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

I would try Thatcher at Independent Wheel..they used to (and maybe still do) manufacture. He knows all the vendors and machine shops. If interested, I will hunt down his number. You can PM me.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Currently i m without photoshop. Perhaps its time to fire-up my teamspeed account and asking one of those high school kids if they could help me out.

I dont know about going Hollow Spoke like the original 993 turbo rims where. That might prove too expensive, who knows. But I remember Porsche making some of the Turbo Look rims with solid spokes since they were after market for the other models.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Currently i m without photoshop. Perhaps its time to fire-up my teamspeed account and asking one of those high school kids if they could help me out.

I dont know about going Hollow Spoke like the original 993 turbo rims where. That might prove too expensive, who knows. But I remember Porsche making some of the Turbo Look rims with solid spokes since they were after market for the other models.
My 996 had Turbo look solid spoke rims. I think they might look dated on the 991 body, not to mention that they'd be heavy in a 20" size, but that's just my subjective opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

it would be backdating which is an interesting concept.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

you might ask the guys at Wheel Enhancement in Ca ... they would know if anyone would...
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Are you willing to accept a 3 piece wheel? You could do one with hidden fasteners and painted rim halves that wouldn't be obvious. If so I think you'll have a number of options, race wheel manufactures that would do custom machined center blanks in the spirit of the older turbo twists. If you have some flexibility and don't need them perfect I'd guess you could find people willing to do something in the 10k range. If you want a more faithful one piece system I think it will get very pricey very quickly.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petevb
Are you willing to accept a 3 piece wheel? You could do one with hidden fasteners and painted rim halves that wouldn't be obvious. If so I think you'll have a number of options, race wheel manufactures that would do custom machined center blanks in the spirit of the older turbo twists. If you have some flexibility and don't need them perfect I'd guess you could find people willing to do something in the 10k range. If you want a more faithful one piece system I think it will get very pricey very quickly.
That makes sense, a three piece. nd I was thinking about doing a Concave wheel from the Inner side that won't be viewed from the outside. I mean shux,.the Fuchs are doing so well lately but they present more of a provenance than the 993 Turbo wheels. I imagine we could make the spokes just a little thinner in profile to update the look.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Call Ryan Dettling at Jongbloed wheels
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Call Ryan Dettling at Jongbloed wheels
Ok I'll google the company and call them on Monday.

On another note it seem Porsche of Bakersfield doesnt.want.to budge from MSRP one the single slot 50th Anniversary 911 they are getting. Didnt even want to throw in clear rear stop lenses to seal the deal. And at $161K? Argh.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

OK how big was the Real 993 Turbo wheel at 17" or so?

Could stretch that rims height out to 20 inches which will keep the five lugs at the same size but the Spokes will be longer. Was thinking about taking them just a whee bit thinner and will let who ever gets the first stab at designing the new wheel a stab and Poetic Freedom to do what they want.

If Three Piece is the way to go it's the way to go but I have some emailing to do tomorrow and perhaps phone calling to do too. When it comes to the whole design bit, I know what I want but more often than not the folks with the art degree or who just have plain ole talent and know how to work PhotoShop can have free rain.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Big Question here, and I mean big Question here. Sorry for repeating.

Does the 911 Turbo really need to have that Fancy Shmancy Adjustable wing on the rear Decklid?

I mean alls it really does is move up and down for how fast your are driving. That and arrow dynamics I do understand, in a little general knowledge way. But it's not like I would take a turbo up beyond 100 or 110 MPH unless I was a at a track of some sort. I'm a very, very tame driver for having a father who was a truck drive who made every time I got into a car with him a driving lesson and taught me how to observe the intentions of other drivers. But that's for another conversation

Could I just remove the who entire rear decklid and add the Ducktail that they are finally offering. Does the Turbo for the engine actually have that much piping and other crap needing to protrude straight-up? As I figure it, due to the moving Wing of the Turbo Tail seems to me there is actually more crap within the rear area above the rear engine that help the wing move?

Any thought on this?

I'm talking about ditching the Turbo Wings in the rear and Putting the Ducktail up that is offered of some of the 911 models now. They don't offer it by itself, only with the front fascia to even out the airflow. Go Figure.

And Again Any Thoughs Smarty Pants out there?

Also, RUF offered there version of their Turbo 991 turbo before Porsche did. I like how they put the Turbo Inlets ontop of the rear quarter panels as opposed to Porsche Locating them where they have since the 996. The only Problem I see with the RUF version is the amount of liquids that can come straight down into the turbo inlets on the rear quarters I don't know how they did this. I would rather have the look of the 993 Turbo without the Inlet. But I know having the inlets where they are helps to accelerate the airflow into the Air Filters.

I'm just trying to do something completely different from what everybody else is doing. Call me nutty but damn this money is burning a hole.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Question here, and I mean big Question here. Sorry for repeating.

Does the 911 Turbo really need to have that Fancy Shmancy Adjustable wing on the rear Decklid?

I mean alls it really does is move up and down for how fast your are driving. That and arrow dynamics I do understand, in a little general knowledge way. But it's not like I would take a turbo up beyond 100 or 110 MPH unless I was a at a track of some sort. I'm a very, very tame driver for having a father who was a truck drive who made every time I got into a car with him a driving lesson and taught me how to observe the intentions of other drivers. But that's for another conversation

Could I just remove the who entire rear decklid and add the Ducktail that they are finally offering. Does the Turbo for the engine actually have that much piping and other crap needing to protrude straight-up? As I figure it, due to the moving Wing of the Turbo Tail seems to me there is actually more crap within the rear area above the rear engine that help the wing move?

Any thought on this?

I'm talking about ditching the Turbo Wings in the rear and Putting the Ducktail up that is offered of some of the 911 models now. They don't offer it by itself, only with the front fascia to even out the airflow. Go Figure.

And Again Any Thoughs Smarty Pants out there?

Also, RUF offered there version of their Turbo 991 turbo before Porsche did. I like how they put the Turbo Inlets ontop of the rear quarter panels as opposed to Porsche Locating them where they have since the 996. The only Problem I see with the RUF version is the amount of liquids that can come straight down into the turbo inlets on the rear quarters I don't know how they did this. I would rather have the look of the 993 Turbo without the Inlet. But I know having the inlets where they are helps to accelerate the airflow into the Air Filters.

I'm just trying to do something completely different from what everybody else is doing. Call me nutty but damn this money is burning a hole.
Don't we have a 991 Turbo forum?

Quick Reply: where, or who, can I goto to have custom rims made?