Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

According to the French version of

Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts
Default According to the French version of

SportAuto the 991GT3 Ring time is 7:25. If true, this is the first outside credible source to confirm Porsche claims.

SportAuto is a German magazine which goes to great lengths to verify accurately the capabilities of a car. In the car industry, it is considered the most reliable.

To put this in context, the fabulous CGT with 612hp and weighs about the same did the Ring in 7:32 as tested by SportAuto.

An amazing achievement!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If accurate, Macca was right the entire time. Since there's typically a spread in lap times between sport auto and Porsche, I tend to believe what I read earlier, that Porsche actually pulled off some laps closer to 720. Some rumors circulating cite 7.1x, Perhaps this is for the upcoming RS?

If so, that would be tremendous.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Are they just stating what is the current claimed time or is the article one of their full tests?? If so, we'd like to see the rest of the results....
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by 911dev; 09-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Are they just stating what is the current claimed time or is the article one of their full tests?? If so, we'd like to see the rest of the results....
Apparently, there is some back tracking on this. The French may have been quoting factory claimed times.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotchya. the prediction on this board ranges about 3-5 seconds slower than PAGs claimed time.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
SportAuto the 991GT3 Ring time is 7:25. If true, this is the first outside credible source to confirm Porsche claims.

SportAuto is a German magazine which goes to great lengths to verify accurately the capabilities of a car. In the car industry, it is considered the most reliable.

To put this in context, the fabulous CGT with 612hp and weighs about the same did the Ring in 7:32 as tested by SportAuto.

An amazing achievement!
Even more amazing than the Nordschleife (12.8 Mile) Track Time http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
is the Hockenheim (1.6 Mile) Track Time,
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim_short.html
which is much more comparable in length to the tracks we will be running in the U.S. The 1:08 991 GT3 Lap time was faster than the Corvette ZR1, Porsche GT2RS, Carrera GT, McLaren MP4-12C, Corvette ZO6, Lamboghini Gallardo, 911 GT3RS, Ferrari 458, Nissan GT-R, Etc.
Now that is truly AMAZING!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Hockenhiem time was an estimate.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
That Hockenhiem time was an estimate.
Why do you say that?
To my knowledge, "Fastest Laps" does not publish "Estimates". least of all with a
"Porsche Factory Driver" listed.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The 1:08 time originally popped up in a German magazine article several weeks ago and the translation seemed to indicate it was an estimate or prediction. The fact that it's now showing up on the actual Fastest Laps list may mean it's been confirmed or that the translation we posted here on RL was in error.....
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The 1:08 time originally popped up in a German magazine article several weeks ago and the translation seemed to indicate it was an estimate or prediction. The fact that it's now showing up on the actual Fastest Laps list may mean it's been confirmed or that the translation we posted here on RL was in error.....
On the "Fastest Laps" Website <http://fastestlaps.com/about.html> they state:

"Lap times

The main purpose for www.fastestlaps.com is to allow car enthusiasts gather lap times for different cars and tracks in one place. All lap times published in fastestlaps.com originate from trusted sources - car magazines, automotive TV shows etc. Only street legal, unmodified production cars are allowed in fastestlaps.com."

So that would appear to exclude "estimates" and only publish actual laptimes.
But I have sent an E-Mail to them to confirm the 991 GT3 Times and will advise
if that is not the case on our site. Ciao, Spence
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, it originated from the magazine where I think they were interviewing AP and he was giving a time he thought it would run. That would still fit the criteria for fastest laps since it comes from a magazine.

Even had the GT3 run that time, it's a factory shoe vs HVS setting all of the other times and not a direct comparison.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The article was from the April Sport Auto and it was a discussion among the editors; it wasn't a prediction from AP. I was the one who picked up on the translation so I remember, but going back I can't find the scan of the magazine article itself which has disappeared from the Projected Hockenheim time thread. It's possible it has since been confirmed. BTW, the Fastest Times site apparently uses a number of "trusted sources" not just one driver so the fact that a factory driver set the time shouldn't be disqualifying.

Anyway, maybe Spence can get us an answer....
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Mike,
Re the 991 GT3 Hockenheim time of 1:08, Fastest Laps replied:

"It appears to be a "factory claim" - a laptime which was stated by Porsche themselves. Whether or not it was result of actual test, I can't tell.

This laptime was refered to in German Sport Auto (04/2013). Apparently there is online article on their site as well, which mentions this time.

There are no explicitly estimated laptimes in fastestlaps, or at least there shouldn't be any. Auto makers, although not independent, are still a reliable source and shouldn't be making unrealistic performance claims.

Porsche are known to be understating their acceleration figures and same probably applies to their track times.

Having said that, it is likely that this laptime wasn't clocked exactly at 1:08 and was a rounded average of multiple runs.

Btw this time was contributed by DeDe. He is a well known member in germancarforum.com. He has the actual magazine issue and I believe he has it scanned. Link to laptime comments - http://fastestlaps.com/laptimes/514af7d2046b8.html

You can freely publish my response.

Thanks,
Krisjanis Zelcs
fastestlaps.com zelcs.com

I guess it boils down to whether you believe Porsche or not.
Personally, I've always found them to be quite accurate (or even understated)
with regards to acceleration times, laptimes, top speed and horsepower.
From the most recent GT3 magazine reviews, independent drivers have
confirmed the incredible performance of these early cars. Spence

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: According to the French version of