Sponsored by:

Lift or No Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
RoatanMan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift or No Lift

Just placed my order. First Porsche; former Z06 guy, but I don't like the new C7 so I am switching to the other side.

Anyway, I have time to add some options. Is the front lift really worth the extra 1.5 inches? The only issue is with my driveway, but if I go on an angle, no problem.

Your thoughts...?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
frayed
Race Car

I'm doing the lift. To me it removes a large stress point associated with owning the GT3. Low front bumper height + long front overhang on my prior 996 and 997 GT3s made driving around teh city a PITA, my driveway included.

On the other side, people will say that you may scrape anyway even with the lift on really big incline changes (or if you forget to press the lift button), and the bumper lip is cheap/easy to swap out. But, I found dragging the front bumper all around town to be like nails on a chalkboard.

Which dealer did you find with an open slot, or have you been on the list for a while?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd get it, unless the car won't be used on the street and you don't do any city driving where driveways or steep inclines are a problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM
RoatanMan
AutoX

Was on the wait list for about 3 months. A spot finally opened up and I already submitted a deposit. Agate Gray, gray wheels, PCCB's.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM
RoatanMan
AutoX

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I'd get it, unless the car won't be used on the street and you don't do any city driving where driveways or steep inclines are a problem.
My Z06 with coil overs was lower. I will not track, but it won't be a DD either. I just done see paying $3500 for an extra inch and a half.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

To me totally worth it because one scrape kills enjoyment of the car for a day or more, plus the price of a replacement lip, if damage is too bad. If you live in a flat area and do not obsess over minor car damage like most people here (including myself), it may be unnecessary.

Not to add fuel to the fire that consumes the sanity of this forum, but wow - moving from Corvette to GT3 when everyone "should" be moving in the opposite direction is a strong decision
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
RoatanMan
AutoX

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
To me totally worth it because one scrape kills enjoyment of the car for a day or more, plus the price of a replacement lip, if damage is too bad. If you live in a flat area and do not obsess over minor car damage like most people here (including myself), it may be unnecessary.

Not to add fuel to the fire that consumes the sanity of this forum, but wow - moving from Corvette to GT3 when everyone "should" be moving in the opposite direction is a strong decision
Agree, I love Corvettes, especially the Z06, but I just don't like the new C7 body and it will be about 3 years before the Super Vette (Z06/ZR1) will be released. I have always liked the 911's, but they are a dime a dozen because the non car guy can't tell all of the variants apart. The GT3 on the other hand, is a different story, this car stands out.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

I opted not to get it. I had a 997.2TT and did not have a problem. As Frayed pointed out you will scrape the front end with or without the lifter. The rubber piece to replace is around $250. Also, there have been issues with the lifter unreliability. According to one source, everyone he knew who had a lifter including himself experienced a failure which required shop time.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
RoatanMan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nick
I opted not to get it. I had a 997.2TT and did not have a problem. As Frayed pointed out you will scrape the front end with or without the lifter. The rubber piece to replace is around $250. Also, there have been issues with the lifter unreliability. According to one source, everyone he knew who had a lifter including himself experienced a failure which required shop time.
Good to know. I think that I will save the money. Also, I am sure that it adds weight to the car as well, no?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I did it...and honestly, that 1.5 inches extra (Im sure what any woman would tell you as well ehem) will make a pretty big difference in 98 percent of situations when it comes to scraping or not. Plus, for resale I'd probably say it's worth it as well because one would be in the heavy minority to not need a little extra height from time to time. Just my .02.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Much of it depends are your situation. If you are in an area with uneven streets, steep driveways or steep hills your need for the lifter will be greater. However, many have said the often forget to initiate the lifter and it can be relatively slow in responding. Regarding resale, my dealership did not feel it was an asset. It is a mechanical device that has a history of failure (though Porsche probably improved the system for reliability), adds weight to the car and at the end of the day you will be replacing the rubber under guard whether you have the lifter or not.

Each buyer must assess his own situation. I am not **** about front end scrapping. If you have any experience with high perf. sport cars you know that front end scrapping is a fact of life. You cannot avoid it.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I ordered it. An absolute must for my own driveway where even my Carrera S scraped the fairings ahead of the front wheels no matter what angle I took. I realize they're replaceable but it was like fingernails on a chalkboard every time. As has been mentioned, 30mm is enough clearance to avoid the vast majority of problems with scraping.

It works up to 31 mph so if you anticipate driveways it's not like you have to stop and wait the full 4 sec for the system to react. Total weight is about 15 lbs.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.atzonline.com/Article/119...e-997-GT3.html
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

weight addition is negligible, and it's up front and down low. you will never be able to feel the weight, and since you won't track the car, it's a non-issue.

I feel that unreliablity of the front lift has been much overblown. Lots of GT3s in my parts, not one with the lift has had a problem. Besides, that was on the 997.

So the only real issue against it is price. To me it's worth it not to have to take crazy extreme angles at a snails pace with traffic behind me or the daily scraping on my driveway. Slow, 45 degree angles over speedbumps adds to the douchebag factor of driving a porsche b/c everyone will think you are being a jackass holding up traffic. Doesn't help that mine will be red. LOL
Old 09-06-2013, 02:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Wouldn't even hesitate to order it, even after doing several thousand miles in GT3s without an issue with the front spoiler. Thing is, that took a lot of minding, and limited where I could go with the car.

Weight is a non-issue, and I haven't heard about reliability issues (not saying they're not out there, but...). Price is indeed steep, but it makes the car so much more usable. Frankly, I'd rather have it than full leather or any number of other options—including PCCB if I really had to give something up. It's a perfect solution to having a car with great stance but one you can use far more easily more of the time.

Just my two cents...ymmv.

pete
Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by stout
Wouldn't even hesitate to order it, even after doing several thousand miles in GT3s without an issue with the front spoiler. Thing is, that took a lot of minding, and limited where I could go with the car.

Weight is a non-issue, and I haven't heard about reliability issues (not saying they're not out there, but...). Price is indeed steep, but it makes the car so much more usable. Frankly, I'd rather have it than full leather or any number of other options—including PCCB if I really had to give something up. It's a perfect solution to having a car with great stance but one you can use far more easily more of the time.

Just my two cents...ymmv.

pete
Completely agreed. My only must have option.

Quick Reply: Lift or No Lift