Sponsored by:

My order is in

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust

My understanding is that the big problem with brake wear for both steel and ceramic brakes is running with PASM on - while on the track. Wears out the rears very quickly - ceramic or steel. I don't have the skill or courage to run with PASM off while on the track. Replacement cost difference between steel and ceramic is huge.
I suspect torque vectoring is what eats the rear pads at the track. I say this because I ran the local track numerous times and it is the inside rear pads that wear out first. If it was PSM, I would have expected the rear outer pads to go first. TV can't be turned off. I replace rear and front at the same time due to similar wear. I recently switched to Pagid yellow (29) and they last longer and are easier on the rotors than OEM pads.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my 9996 GT3 and 997GT3 had PCCB. I was scared by all the negative posts when I got the 996. After the first 30 track days, my only worry was making sure the guys at the tire shop knew what it would cost them if they chipped a rotor. That and staying out of gravel. I put over 60,000 miles on the 996 with 40% track time. The 997 does use more rear bias and the pads are thicker than 996. Turn everything supportive off and change pads with 50% wear and never an issue. BTW SuperCup cars go the entire season on one set of rotors.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes PSM, mixed up my Porsche acronyms! My early experience was with a C2. My understanding is that with my gt3, the intervention is later or less often . With the 991 gt3, would expect it to be even better because of the improved suspension.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

EVO magazine just tested the 991TT and 991TTS which has PCCB's as standard brakes. Here is what they concluded.

We also sampled a relatively basic standard 911 Turbo with steel brakes. To be perfectly honest, it felt pretty much exactly like a Turbo S - same runaway acceleration, same astonishing grip and traction, same terrific balance on the circuit and similar glimmers of outright brilliance on the road. The steel brakes were also superb and stood up to six laps of Bilster Berg (the launch’s circuit venue) at full speed with no issues at all. Our hunch is that a standard Turbo without PDCC could be the one to have.

My decision to stay with steel brakes looks better and better.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I suspect torque vectoring is what eats the rear pads at the track. I say this because I ran the local track numerous times and it is the inside rear pads that wear out first. If it was PSM, I would have expected the rear outer pads to go first. TV can't be turned off. I replace rear and front at the same time due to similar wear. I recently switched to Pagid yellow (29) and they last longer and are easier on the rotors than OEM pads.
I suspect you are right. My friends TTS has torque vectoring and his rear PCCBs wore away QUICKLY, whereas my spyder does not have torque vectoring and the rears look just fine, but the fronts are wearing.

The new GT3 has torque vectoring.....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

If at all still possible, be SURE to get the larger fuel tank. Adds no appreciable weight if fuel level is the same, but I fell in love with going a whole day on it without having to look for gas stations, or even think about it...

PCCBs for and against...good info here. For my uses, I would get them for the response and fade resistance (I have experienced fade with iron GT3 rotors in extreme conditions, where PCCBs were fine). "No" dust is nice, too, as is reduction in unsprung weight given the size of the rotors (only case where there is no big benefit, to my understanding, is with the small-rotored cars such as 98x and base 99x).

I wouldn't even think twice about the lift kit. Improves car's usability a great deal, and while I could get around SF just fine without it, it's just SO MUCH nicer to be able to go wherever you want.

Congrats, and enjoy your cars!

pete
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

We should have a SF GT3 meet, even before cars arrive. Would be cool for a group to get together over coffee somewhere.

Actually, I'm having a little get-together on my roof today to watch the America's cup, you can see whole race from my house. If anyone is interested message me and ill give you details
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
We should have a SF GT3 meet, even before cars arrive. Would be cool for a group to get together over coffee somewhere.

Actually, I'm having a little get-together on my roof today to watch the America's cup, you can see whole race from my house. If anyone is interested message me and ill give you details
Sounds a whole lot like the forbidden Cars'n Coffee. You are at serious risk of confirming poseur status!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
EVO magazine just tested the 991TT and 991TTS which has PCCB's as standard brakes. Here is what they concluded.

We also sampled a relatively basic standard 911 Turbo with steel brakes. To be perfectly honest, it felt pretty much exactly like a Turbo S - same runaway acceleration, same astonishing grip and traction, same terrific balance on the circuit and similar glimmers of outright brilliance on the road. The steel brakes were also superb and stood up to six laps of Bilster Berg (the launch’s circuit venue) at full speed with no issues at all. Our hunch is that a standard Turbo without PDCC could be the one to have.

My decision to stay with steel brakes looks better and better.
Exactly why I ordered a Turbo but not a Turbo S.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57

Sounds a whole lot like the forbidden Cars'n Coffee. You are at serious risk of confirming poseur status!
Worse actually.. Since no one has their car yet, it would just be coffee and we can bench-race our future hypothetical performance figures.

Quick Reply: My order is in