Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yes...
It is also the reason a manual transmission is not offered
It would've been too difficult to design a pump for the e-diff. This explanation belongs to AP and it is to be believed by little kids waiting for Santa...
not difficult but cost money that they choose not to spend. They choose not to develop the car you want and you choose to not buy the car.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

http://ferrari101.com/forum/360-430/...-question.html

" E-diff has nothing to do with whether the car is an F1 or regular manual. E-diff only means that the locking action of the diff is electronically controlled... in part using a solenoid valve. You can have an E-diff on a car regardless of the transmission. My Jag has one. It works much better than other limited slip diffs, which are usually mechanically controlled by clutch packs or other mechanical means (e.g. Torsen). "

" The F430 Manual and F1 share the F1 pump motor, but it works only for the e-diff (oil pressure computer controlled mechanical Limited Slip differential). "

http://www.italiaspeed.com/new_model...f430/diff.html

" This system is available both on the F1-paddle shift version as well as on the manual gearbox model and consists of three main subsystems:

- a high-pressure hydraulic system, shared with the F1 gearbox (if present);
- a control system consisting of valve, sensors and electronic control unit;
- a mechanical unit housed in the left side of the gearbox.

Torque is continuously distributed between the wheels via two sets of friction discs (one for each driveshaft) controlled by a hydraulic actuator. The amount of torque actually transmitted to the driven wheels depends on driving conditions (accelerator pedal angle, steering angle, yaw acceleration, individual wheel rotation speed) and brings considerable advantages in terms of performance, direction stability, active safety and handling feedback. "
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

BTW, the 458 came with a manual transmission as an option along with ediff, b/c the pump is external to the gearbox. So, I agree with Rad's prior statement that it's a bit of a cop-out when AP says that a MT car can't have ediff b/c the pump is in the PDK gearbox.
The 458 was never available with a manual transmission. The California was, maybe you got the two confused.

Others on this thread have already explained how the transmission and Ediff are completely separate And interdependent issues. However, to continue claiming that Porsche makes up advantages just due to the marketing, I think it is far reaching speculation and should not be mistaken with fact
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

The new Vette has e-diff too, and GM openly attributes some of the handling improvement to it. And the Vette is available with manual ...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The 458 was never available with a manual transmission. The California was, maybe you got the two confused.

Others on this thread have already explained how the transmission and Ediff are completely separate And interdependent issues. However, to continue claiming that Porsche makes up advantages just due to the marketing, I think it is far reaching speculation and should not be mistaken with fact
Meant 430. Have 458 on the brain since the dealer is a half mile from my house and continues to pull me in like sirens.

Not sure what you mean by the However comment. My point is that AP stated clearly in an on camera interview that MT could be on the table, but it would lose the advantage of ediff b/c the pump is part of the PDK transmission.

I'm as enthused as anyone of the foo to get my new GT3. But *that* came across as an excuse.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 LSD?