Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new Vid - Feast for the Senses

Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
It's comical that some profess to be able to read Andreas' mind.

Who cares. Buy the car if you like. If not, don't.
I agree that we can't read his mind, but it's also true that he personally is strongly identified with the car and has played a prominent role in defending/marketing it. So it's natural for people to want to understand his rationales for the design decisions he and his team have made. Of course, his rationales may not be entirely clear even to him, and if he regrets a decision he's not likely to admit it at this point.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
''EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE''

he said it 3 times in 3 minutes.
video is trying to justify their decision to go with the auto, as the right one.
this debate will never end, eh????
yup. Justification
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I agree that we can't read his mind, but it's also true that he personally is strongly identified with the car and has played a prominent role in defending/marketing it. So it's natural for people to want to understand his rationales for the design decisions he and his team have made. Of course, his rationales may not be entirely clear even to him, and if he regrets a decision he's not likely to admit it at this point.
or CANT admit it....
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

AP's rationale for wanting to build a modern, up to date, top performing adaptation of the previous GT3, which he also knows intimately well since he developed it, could not be clearer. He has stated it and restated it in many interviews and the result speaks for itself.

Doubt if you will, but I know someone on AP's team who works very closely with him. They all believe very strongly in the choices they have made.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing you've kept the fight Mike.

The foo are going to believe what they want to believe, and if that means questioning AP's character (yes, that's been done here, he's a company shill, remember?), being able to read his mind (yep), drawing herculean conclusions when AP is seen stepping out of a 997 at a 991 press drive, dismissing the stated ring time, dismissing AMS data (independent third party review now all of a sudden has the credibility of PAG's own published data, good grief), dismissing all positive accolades from EVO and other mags (paid to give good reviews, comparisons not fully instrumented, data limited, not the same tires), and fabricating news of an official break in motor link b/t the race cars and street cars. . . they've come here to make their voice heard. It's their anti-gt3 million man march.

While the poor horse has been beaten to death, the MT v. PDK debate I get. If offered as an option, I'd get the MT. But most of this other stuff is nonsense.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Amazing you've kept the fight Mike.

The foo are going to believe what they want to believe, and if that means questioning AP's character (yes, that's been done here, he's a company shill, remember?), being able to read his mind (yep), drawing herculean conclusions when AP is seen stepping out of a 997 at a 991 press drive, dismissing the stated ring time, dismissing AMS data (independent third party review now all of a sudden has the credibility of PAG's own published data, good grief), dismissing all positive accolades from EVO and other mags (paid to give good reviews, comparisons not fully instrumented, data limited, not the same tires), and fabricating news of an official break in motor link b/t the race cars and street cars. . . they've come here to make their voice heard. It's their anti-gt3 million man march.

While the poor horse has been beaten to death, the MT v. PDK debate I get. If offered as an option, I'd get the MT. But most of this other stuff is nonsense.
We're not being consistent here. Frayed says we can't read AP's mind, then Mike says AP's thoughts are well known, then Frayed seemingly agrees with Mike but reiterates that we can't read AP's mind. You guys need to get your stories straight before going public with them.

In any case, I increasingly like the car and may get one if I can get my hands on one.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL. That's funny. Chaos in the ranks of the anti-foo!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

We're not being consistent here. Frayed says we can't read AP's mind, then Mike says AP's thoughts are well known, then Frayed seemingly agrees with Mike but reiterates that we can't read AP's mind. You guys need to get your stories straight before going public with them.

In any case, I increasingly like the car and may get one if I can get my hands on one.
There's no inconsistency. I think I know what you believe from what you write, Manifold, but I can't read your mind. We know what AP's "thoughts" are because he has expressed them in several venues, and because, as I posted, I know someone on his team who shares his POV.

I'll grant you, we don't know the unexpressed thoughts floating around in AP's head but the only way that matters is if you believe he's saying one thing and thinking something else. My personal take is that he seems pretty sincere and honestly made the choices that resulted in the best GT3 he could build. He's said as much, and I take him at his word.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
''EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE''

he said it 3 times in 3 minutes.
video is trying to justify their decision to go with the auto, as the right one.
this debate will never end, eh????
he didn't have to make a video, he could have just PM ed me an apology.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nope, because it's the same as debating blonds vs brunettes (fill in the blank). It's always going to be a matter of personal preference. This was Porsche's only real mistake with this car and AP knows it.
Right, he was on a 2 hour drive in the black forest in auto on blue tooth arguing with the bean counters and lost.

Originally Posted by 911rox
+1

It wasn't about the speed he says, it was about the emotion he says, its a car for enthusiasts he says and yet their actions have contradicted all three comments... Jimmy, you're on the money... excuses to justify alienating a core enthusiast following and before another slanging match starts, yes a pdk was very welcomed as one of two options for this car!
Haha, not about the speed now... All we heard was that its so much faster.
Lame.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
It's just so hard, if not impossible to get excited for an automatic.

Letting the car do all the work for you - is faster sure.....exciting and emotional?? feast for the senses??? no chance
Right. I can see getting bored within a day.. I'll have to find out by buying one?? All the rest is sooo tasty if you really cant tell the RWD and it does not fry itself to death.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree completely. Time to move on.....
NEVER!! NEEEEEVER!!

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'll grant you, we don't know the unexpressed thoughts floating around in AP's head but the only way that matters is if you believe he's saying one thing and thinking something else. My personal take is that he seems pretty sincere and honestly made the choices that resulted in the best GT3 he could build. He's said as much, and I take him at his word.
I can read minds and he thinks, fauk, fauk, fauk...I hope that my customers and close friends buy into this video or my engineering team better figure out how to get that manual into the RS before we start production; I could, well, I could make it like an late special order availability option for like $10K, that's a 15K extra profit and that'll shut these fauking bean counters up alright and I'll be worshipped once again..

damn, I should have hit a tree on my 2 hour drive in the Black Forrest and blame it on the boring ride and say I fell asleep. fauk, fauk fauk!!

He wont admit it of course..
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can read minds and he thinks, fauk, fauk, fauk...I hope that my customers and close friends buy into this video or my engineering team better figure out how to get that manual into the RS before we start production; I could, well, I could make it like an late special order availability option for like $10K, that's a 15K extra profit and that'll shut these fauking bean counters up alright and I'll be worshipped once again..

damn, I should have hit a tree on my 2 hour drive in the Black Forrest and blame it on the boring ride and say I fell asleep. fauk, fauk fauk!!
LOL! Good stuff
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

To those who refused to buy the 991GT3 because it came only in PDK-S, it is now time to acknowledge you ****ed up and start scrambling to find an allocation or prepare to buy a used one. I write this with some dismay because those of you who stayed away from the GT3 are genuine car enthusiast and track regulars. To be shut out from one of the most exciting cars Porsche has ever built is truly a shame. But in life we make mistakes and must live with them. I hope you all can rectify your error.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Axis chimes in on AP's video, about sums it up for me.

Porsche faces the expected criticism for choosing to go two pedal only with the 991 GT3.

Some find amusement in a sports car by operating levers and pedals and thankfully there are plenty of cars produced over the last 100 years or so that can afford them various levels of mechanical and ergonomic complexity.

There is another faction of enthusiast who are not sentimental that way and who are interested most in how to best be as one with a car in the most efficient possible way. Anyone who has driven a Scuderia will not say "meh, it's an automatic" and Ferrari was never sentimental as a car company. Porsche on the other hand has more baggage that way and a particularly luddite owner base, some of which are still holding a grudge over water cooling.

In this video, Andreas Preuninger, project leader for the car, makes the case emotion and connection go beyond interface details.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
To those who refused to buy the 991GT3 because it came only in PDK-S, it is now time to acknowledge you ****ed up and start scrambling to find an allocation or prepare to buy a used one. I write this with some dismay because those of you who stayed away from the GT3 are genuine car enthusiast and track regulars. To be shut out from one of the most exciting cars Porsche has ever built is truly a shame. But in life we make mistakes and must live with them. I hope you all can rectify your error.
Not everyone who gets it will be embracing the PDK. The PDK is still the biggest sticking point for me (pun intended), which is why I continue to consider other alternatives (keep the 997 C2S, 996 cup, 997 GT3, Vette, etc.).
Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
First in line for an RS, I was first in line for a GT3.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
First in line for an RS, I was first in line for a GT3.
+1 Will likely pass on that as well and wait for the 991.2 GT3 RS Tribute Edition with Luddite Manual.

And in the US there will always be allocations available at MSRP or better for those that want to put in a little effort. Same as it ever was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another new Vid - Feast for the Senses