Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gents the Auto Motor und Sport Definative 991 GT3 Test results are in....an upset!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
You increased the wheelbase of your car? I'd love to know what that entailed!
Caster
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

You increased the wheelbase of your car? I'd love to know what that entailed!
On my early car, yea. It's pretty major surgery, as you'd image. It required relocating the inboard trailing arm pickup backwards (also did reinforcement and made it height adjustable):

Rear swaybar and swaybar mounts (upper right in the pic above) also needed to move backwards and the upper shock mounting needed to change to allow for the new shock angle. Pretty easy to lengthen the 935 style spring plate and relocate the outer attachment, which gives a better toe curve in the process.

Then custom fenders with the wheel opening shifted backwards:

So that it's not obvious when everything is done:

The axles run at a slightly steeper angle, requiring some changes to the CVs for longevity. Also the tire clearance to the headers is cut down, requiring some slight modifications there. So it's quite a project, but it has a pretty major impact on the weight distribution.

Last edited by Petevb; 08-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I would put my money on McLaren to do it first.
I could see that.

As much as i hate driving a cvt, I never thought about it being in a true sports car. The more I think about it, if set up properly, it makes a lot of sense, always operating at peak torque or hp. Interesting and disappointing at the same time.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
On my early car, yea. It's pretty major surgery, as you'd image. It required relocating the inboard trailing arm pickup backwards (also did reinforcement and made it height adjustable):

Rear swaybar and swaybar mounts (upper right in the pic above) also needed to move backwards and the upper shock mounting needed to change to allow for the new shock angle. Pretty easy to lengthen the 935 style spring plate and relocate the outer attachment, which gives a better toe curve in the process.

Then custom fenders with the wheel opening shifted backwards:

The axles run at a slightly steeper angle, requiring some changes to the CVs for longevity. Also the tire clearance to the headers is cut down, requiring some slight modifications there. So it's quite a project, but it has a pretty major impact on the weight distribution.

I'll take it.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by az audi
I could see that.

As much as i hate driving a cvt, I never thought about it being in a true sports car. The more I think about it, if set up properly, it makes a lot of sense, always operating at peak torque or hp. Interesting and disappointing at the same time.
Sounds like the same characteristics as my long-time-ago (1978) Husky 390 Enduro. Allan
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

That's very impressive. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by az audi
I could see that.

I know exactly what you mean. According to some pundits, the reason F1 banned CVT around the time Williams put it into a test car – besides the performance advantage, which was reportedly significant – is that racing fans like the sound of gear changes and RPM’s rapidly climbing and falling. They thought it would sound weird and ruin the show. As subjective as that is, I tend to agree. Just another example that not everything that goes faster is more fun. When CVT finally happens at the top of the automotive food chain, I hope they find a way to make it fun. I wonder if there will be threads on RL where people bemoan the loss of involvement they had with PDK!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll take it.
Wow!! Me too! Fantastic build....
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
az audi
Racer

I know exactly what you mean. According to some pundits, the reason F1 banned CVT around the time Williams put it into a test car – besides the performance advantage, which was reportedly significant – is that racing fans like the sound of gear changes and RPM’s rapidly climbing and falling. They thought it would sound weird and ruin the show. As subjective as that is, I tend to agree. Just another example that not everything that goes faster is more fun. When CVT finally happens at the top of the automotive food chain, I hope they find a way to make it fun. I wonder if there will be threads on RL where people bemoan the loss of involvement they had with PDK!
It will be similar to an electric motor but with a constant sound...

And I think there will be similar threads like the current threads on the PDK.

"Progress" for a compromise.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

You'll know Porsche is about to put it in the next GT3 when AP says "CVT's are for grandmas"
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll take it.
You couldn't handle it...
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Ill start of very gently..
Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the positive side. It'll rev at 9000rpm all the time.

Quick Reply: Gents the Auto Motor und Sport Definative 991 GT3 Test results are in....an upset!