Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...jiJbevaU#t=352

EVO sound very enthusiastic about this car especially on track....Not recommended for MT fanatics...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, impressive. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Fair review and conclusions as expected... impressive car in many respects...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Great review. Good comparison choices - 2 high techno cars.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up then watch this Top Gear 991 GT3 "teaser" released today ahead of their full review....

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=2601490831001
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
If you want the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up then watch this Top Gear 991 GT3 "teaser" released today ahead of their full review....

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=2601490831001
OMG.....the more i think about it the more i feel i need to add a GT3 to my F458. totally reasonable decision, totally complementary cars, no? ---))))
i know a dealer in austria who has a free november allocation....very tempting....
peter
Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Yet again, this review reinforces my impression that the 991 GT3 will be a great track car (PDK will be fine on track), but doesn't make much sense if used mainly as a road car (though it would work well as a combo DD/track car).

For mainly road use, the main drawbacks compared to an 'older' 911 with MT are engine wanting high revs and lacking midrange torque and 'character', PDK less engaging than MT, steering not as good as before, and too much wasted performance capability (most don't drive on 'mega' roads at speeds that would land you in jail). And for that matter, IMO there are also plenty of other cars that make more sense for mainly road use (M3, C63, manual Boxster/Cayman, etc.).

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yet again, this review reinforces my impression that the 991 GT3 will be a great track car (PDK will be fine on track), but doesn't make much sense if used mainly as a road car (though it would work well as a combo DD/track car).

For mainly road use, the main drawbacks compared to an 'older' 911 with MT are engine wanting high revs and lacking midrange torque and 'character', PDK less engaging than MT, steering not as good as before, and too much wasted performance capability (most don't drive on 'mega' roads at speeds that would land you in jail). And for that matter, IMO there are also plenty of other cars that make more sense for mainly road use (M3, C63, manual Boxster/Cayman, etc.).
Please don't spoil the review,you'll be called a detractor,luddite and part of a Taliban cult. I was actually trying to get the hairs on the back of my neck go up and you've spoiled it for me...
Seriously,no surprise that you need to rev this engine to get performance. It was the exact same behavior with the old 997 GT3,a car you'd think it's not that exciting over a regular Carrera at low speeds. It's true the old model compensated with the manual transmission and better steering,but maybe the new one will shine with reliability and on track performance.
The car looks good and I'm sure even it's biggest fans,especially ex 997 GT3 owners will miss something and some might admit it and some won't,but one thing is for sure : the way I see it,there will be less 991 GT3 garage queens since it definitely looks like the new car is a lot more usable on a daily basis,which is a really good thing IMO.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,714 Likes on 910 Posts

Amazing roads. You guys in Europe have it good (once you get past cost of ownership).

Excellent comments on engine, steering, and transmission relative to prior GT3. Easy to understand why this car is appealing to a new group of buyers. Personally, looking forward to Cup and street GT3 drivetrains getting back on the same page as in the past.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi praise . The rs will be even faster
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Love it. Can't wait to get mine early 2014. I have this right now to hold me over:

Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Great review.

Again looking at the total package the GT3 will be an epic road and track car. This despite slight demerits for mid range engagement, a tick less steering feel, and loss of the MT for enhanced engagement on the street (all compared to the mighty 4.0).
Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manifold, I've seen you raise this same concern in a few threads now and am just curious as to your intended use for this car ??

I think that some of your concerns such as any loss in mid-range torque and steering "feel" will probably be so small that us mere mortals will not notice and/or quickly adapt to in daily driving, of course JMHO.

Best of luck in your decision...
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Manifold, I've seen you raise this same concern in a few threads now and am just curious as to your intended use for this car ??

I think that some of your concerns such as any loss in mid-range torque and steering "feel" will probably be so small that us mere mortals will not notice and/or quickly adapt to in daily driving, of course JMHO.

Best of luck in your decision...
My use would be mainly driving it on track (30+ days/yr), with the option to drive it to/from the track, and occasionally putter around on the road. Once the track seats are available, I think the car will be excellent for my use, except that running the car on track could be expensive (pads, rotors, wreck ), the Vette is less than half the price, the next M3/M4 could be an option (albeit considerably slower), and it may be hard to actually get the GT3 once I've made up my mind.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My use would be mainly driving it on track (30+ days/yr), with the option to drive it to/from the track, and occasionally putter around on the road. Once the track seats are available, I think the car will be excellent for my use, except that running the car on track could be expensive (pads, rotors, wreck ), the Vette is less than half the price, the next M3/M4 could be an option (albeit considerably slower), and it may be hard to actually get the GT3 once I've made up my mind.
I think you are over thinking this and if you can afford it, I'd say go for it as your financial risk may be lower than if you got the Vette or M3/M4 then change your mind say in the first 6-12 months of ownership. These type of cars are never rational decisions, at least not for me

Now back to the regularly scheduled program...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!