Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. Good to see they are comparing it to the apex predators. At the end of the day, 130K is still an absolute bargain for what it is.

I did notice from all the video reviews that no one uses the shift **** in a pseudo manual/sq mode for regular roads. I wonder why that is the case? Here in the US/NY, on local roads you need to make 90* turns and it would be nuts to use paddles as your arms cross. I personally find DD with the shift **** really enjoyable in non track environments.
For folks who miss the manual, (i was one of them) the shift **** with lightning shifts in HIGH powered cars is absolutely awesome. The Bang of upshifts and downshifts is very enjoyable.

Last edited by Dude-; 08-21-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dude-
Great review. Good to see they are comparing it to the apex predators. At the end of the day, 130K is still an absolute bargain for what it is.

I did notice from all the video reviews that one uses the shift **** in a pseudo manual/sq mode for regular roads. I wonder why that is the case? Here in the US/NY, on local roads you need to make 90* turns and it would be nuts to use paddles as your arms cross. I personally find DD with the shift **** really enjoyable in non track environments.
For folks who miss the manual, (i was one of them) the shift **** with lightning shifts in HIGH powered cars is absolutely awesome. The Bang of upshifts and downshifts is very enjoyable.
You can even drop it into neutral on deceleration (stop light) if you are so inclined. With a louder exhaust, I sometimes do this.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Not recommended for MT fanatics...
Originally Posted by EVO
"Do you miss the 6 speed manual gearbox? On a circuit, I'm afraid to say not as much as you'd think."
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement if you're buying it as a street car.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-

I did notice from all the video reviews that one uses the shift **** in a pseudo manual/sq mode for regular roads. I wonder why that is the case? Here in the US/NY, on local roads you need to make 90* turns and it would be nuts to use paddles as your arms cross. I personally find DD with the shift **** really enjoyable in non track environments.
During 4 years of driving M3 with DCT (wheel-mounted pedals), I've never had an issue with finding the right pedal without even thinking about it. I do drive in auto most of the time on the streets, but when I do not, the pedals are under the right fingers 99.9% of the time.

I did have an issue with fixed pedals in other cars - its just felt weird reversing upshift/downshift hands in some turns but not the others, so using console shifter was more relevant there. But it's all very person-specific, I guess.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Macca for the posts, and curse you Macca for linking to more videos that make it that much harder to wait.

It's fun to watch as people pick out the bits and phrases in these vids that reinforce their previously held POV's, both on the sides of the proponents and the skeptics, although given the overall tone of virtually every review the task seems to be a lot harder for the skeptics.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
You can even drop it into neutral on deceleration (stop light) if you are so inclined. With a louder exhaust, I sometimes do this.
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
During 4 years of driving M3 with DCT (wheel-mounted pedals), I've never had an issue with finding the right pedal without even thinking about it. I do drive in auto most of the time on the streets, but when I do not, the pedals are under the right fingers 99.9% of the time.

I did have an issue with fixed pedals in other cars - its just felt weird reversing upshift/downshift hands in some turns but not the others, so using console shifter was more relevant there. But it's all very person-specific, I guess.
When I went from Manual to my X6M, granted this is apples to orange, but in terms of driver engagement migrating from Manual to paddles. Yes, there was less engagement in terms of DD on paddles. When I started using the the shift ****, it all came right back minus the left leg. I stressed on HIGH HP on my previous post because going from a civic manual to auto it is awful and I wouldn't wish it in my worst enemies. When you deal with high HP and use the shift ****, the car wakes up even more as you tap into what its capable of. Maybe this is just me, but I don't pride myself on knowing how to use a manual like some of my friends. Brute force and precision is where its at.
Going back to the GT3, I read up on the pdk S and it sure sounds like its movements are exactly the same as the x6m. Manual lovers will be very pleasantly surprise of what you can do with it.

Can't wait to get this car.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A few things.

Torque

Jethro is comparing mid range torque to the 4.0RS. Infact he cmpares everyting to the 4.0RS which isnt a particularly fair comparison given its three models removed from the outgoing 997.2 GT3. The 4.0RS has more torque than the new 991 GT3 engine. 338lbft vs 324lbft. The previous gen GT3 has 317lbft. In the mid range the new 991 GT3 has as much torque as the 997.2 GT3RS variant and a flatter torque curve - but not quite as much torque there as the 4.0RS

Steering Feel, engine chatter

As a previous poster mentioned a couple of reviews have mention how much better the steering is than the 991 but thats its still a fraction off the old hydraulic system. I think thats valid. Everyone is moving this way and I guess at least Porsche have now done a better job of it than most according to the journos. We still have a non power steering car in the family. that thing has WAY more feel than any later power steering 911. But I wouldnt go back to it. Enhine noise is subjective - the 991 GT3 trades a creamier power unit with a fantastic top end howl for a rougher mid range "chunter". Idle seems lumpy and about the same. Win some loose some here but cant help but think that in the videos even with sports exhaust off (which is where some of that mid range torque may have been hiding!) that Jethros drives sounded utterly fantastic inside and outside the car.

The last point I want to note on teh above is that as some already said these guys are professional motor journalists who drive this stuff all the time and frankly they pick up on things Id never get close to identifying or noticing. They often have just stepped out of the previous gen car which helps. After a month of ownership I doubt some of these differences will seem so different afterall - apart from the PDK of course.

PS. I also intend to shift using the center shifter - I think this is a much more natural and comfortable position for me on the street at least paddles for the track.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's fun to watch as people pick out the bits and phrases in these vids that reinforce their previously held POV's, both on the sides of the proponents and the skeptics, although given the overall tone of virtually every review the task seems to be a lot harder for the skeptics.
Agreed.

Tale of the tape from the cheap seats? 3 negative but fair comments as footnotes to an overall a ringing endorsement.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting very confused:

One group on this forum wants race car, another would like a DD, yet another says dual purpose car.

Many people would kill for 25 more HP, but will happily give up lap time for a chance to "row there own".

The GT3 is inadequate because it's a little slower than the 458 Speciale at less than half the price.

The GT3 is inadequate because it is only a little faster than the Corvette at more than twice the price.

The GT3 fails because, despite clearly outperforming its predecessors, it is too comfortable.

The GT3 fails because it isn't as good as the forthcoming RS, about which we know next to nothing.

The GT3's durability is questionable despite Porsche's long time reputation for reliability on the track and on the street. The 991 seems to have avoided first year problems, but that doesn't matter. It's cooling hoses and CL's that are the worry. Porsche surely overlooked fixing those issues! Of course, there is no question about the Corvette or Ferrari. We'll just rush right out and buy one.

I could go on with my confusion, but I think I will just shut up and drive.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well said tmg57.

Can you imagine the challenge AP and his team faced 3 years ago when given the larger 991 with the dodgy 7 speed manual, highly criticized electric steering and was asked to BUILD ZE CARZ THAT WILL SATIZFY ALL Z CUSTOMERZ 100% No wonder he looks like a man that's had little sleep!

I think AP and his team have done something quite remarkable with the new car given the platform and the background (as per above). I believe if they had had installed a manual the car would be being cirtised right now for being "no faster than the outgoing gen" whilst still not having the mezger or hydraulic steering pump. You just cant win...
Old 08-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Dude-
Pro

HI Macca, I think you may have nailed it right on the head with the fact that they are comparing it to the 4.0 RS. If they compared it to the 997 gt3, I would suspect an overwhelming positive response. Once you compare it to the GT3 RS4.0 (supreme status of GT3's) that's drawing a very high bar and the defender, purist, detractors will come out like zombies.

And for me migration of manual to a "sequential" type shifter is much easier than just going straight to paddles. In fact, it feels pretty natural.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tmg57
I'm getting very confused:

One group on this forum wants race car, another would like a DD, yet another says dual purpose car.

Many people would kill for 25 more HP, but will happily give up lap time for a chance to "row there own".

The GT3 is inadequate because it's a little slower than the 458 Speciale at less than half the price.

The GT3 is inadequate because it is only a little faster than the Corvette at more than twice the price.

The GT3 fails because, despite clearly outperforming its predecessors, it is too comfortable.

The GT3 fails because it isn't as good as the forthcoming RS, about which we know next to nothing.

The GT3's durability is questionable despite Porsche's long time reputation for reliability on the track and on the street. The 991 seems to have avoided first year problems, but that doesn't matter. It's cooling hoses and CL's that are the worry. Porsche surely overlooked fixing those issues! Of course, there is no question about the Corvette or Ferrari. We'll just rush right out and buy one.

I could go on with my confusion, but I think I will just shut up and drive.
youre not confused..you perfectly summed up all the opinions here..and "diversity" is an enrichment to every society, company..and even RL I would say.

I do however believe youre really confused when you say: "Porsche's long time reputation for reliability on the track and on the street" ..have you ever heard about 996-997 IMS problems? Class action suit? Check the 996 section and you will see whether Porsche is known also for "reliabilty". In 90% of the cases your assumption is correct..but Porsches mistakes have increased lately pretty much..IMS, CL, 991PdK issues and so on..I know that Ferrari isnt much better..but everybody makes mistakes..even Porsche..
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
In the mid range the new 991 GT3 has as much torque as the 997.2 GT3RS variant and a flatter torque curve - but not quite as much torque there as the 4.0RS.
The 991 has a pretty big hole in the torque curve vs the 997.2 GT3RS between 2500 and 4000, however... Not that it's a significant issue with with PDK.

It's impressive to me that the GT3 soundly beat the GTR on the road... at 9000 feet! Given the power loss at altitude of the NA engine vs the turbo that's a good sign.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

F*** ME! Do I want one now?

really I think the net for me is "its what I expected" - its a better, but different car from those that preceded it, the song remains the same!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement if you're buying it as a street car.
Pete. As a Brit I translate Jethros statement there to mean on the track the PDK is at least a match for the manual experience.

As for DD. The car is perfect with an auto. Im pretty sure thats why auto was invented. Remember in many parts of the world like Europe, Uk and New Zealand we never had auto boxes as standard until the last few years so we all grew up driving manual. Infact my wife still drives manual e39M5. Ive never owned a dual clutch or any auto tranny sports car. For many of us auto was a luxury our markets couldnt afford. For DD I have no doubt the new 991 GT3 is a far better car that the outgoing one. Especially in town traffic. I intend to use mine for everything form a trip to the shops to visiting friends and running errands.

So the new car is likely (according to reviews) a better DD and a better track car (more reviews on this to come but Im sure they will reinforce this point) - Reliability is unknown and will be for a few years but the base 991 has been much better than the 996 & 997 so far for reliability.

So that leaves us really with one driving situation of concern - Spirited Open Road Driving...

For a weekend road blast I think this car will mostly polarize. You see it depends on your roads, road surface, climate and bureaucracy. In NZ, much like the UK and Europe, we have lots of tight narrow twisty rough ashfelt roads with a rough chip seal surface. Think Mullholland Drive but narrower with a similar surface in places. Weather can be variable from damp/wet to dry sunny. On B roads traffic police are very rare and we would normally drive up to 100 mph for a spirited weekend drive not really looking at the speedo at all just driving to the conditions and grip/condition on the road surface.

I have no idea if the PDK will add or detract from this type of driving but I know when I drive like this Im focusing on pointing the car in the right direction, balance, position entering corners, braking and acceleration points. Gear changing is critical but also often the most frustrating part of driving an unknown road and often I spend too much concentration on heel/toe to a low gear to find its too low as the concern opens up not tightens etc.

I drive in teh sates regularly and have driven Canyon roads, highway roads and a few months ago Pacific Coast Highway 1 (fog, rock falls, rain, sun etc) road in a Shelby Cobra. That last road is really the only one i can even start to compare NZ roads to and I just ate it up until I cold no longer see in front of me and had to stop for the night.

We also do Tarmac Rally down here and have two famous ones. Targa Tasmania and Targa New Zealand. You shoud check these out. Targa NZ last years was 3000km - 2000km touring and 1000km closed roads open speed time trials. Roads are B country roads - very twisty. Top speeds not much over 200kmph. This is very fast close to the cliff driving with a navigator, route book, rally computer, hardwired GPS etc and for this type of "street" driving I just know from other participants the PDK will be killer. You dont have time to loose on shifts here and it can unsettle the car in unknown corners with unknown road surfaces - PDK is safer, faster and it leaves far more bandwidth for the important stiff like trying not to get out of shape. last year we lost 8 from 50 cars in our group and three of them were write offs! If you want to get a feel for this then look up on you tube Targa Tasmania or Targa New Zealand 2012 (you may even see my 993). Also very similar but not as long or as dangerous is Targa Florio run every year in Sicily - very famous and old road race...

Quick Reply: EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!