Sponsored by:

458 Speciale: the "GT3" of the 458 arrives

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Yeah, I know how that process works elsewhere. Which is exactly why, upon putting down my down-payment (40k$) mid last year already, I made it very clear to the sales representative and his management that the '458 Scuderia' (for a lack of a better name at that time) is the one that I want, nothing else. So, for me it's either that way into Ferrari ownership or none at all anytime soon, if at all.

I don't want to sound pedantic, but if Ferrari as a whole or this dealership in particular cannot or does not want to see the life-time profit potential of a 36-year old buying this car cash, then I guess it's not meant to be... if they don't 'allow' me to buy the car that I want, trust me, I certainly won't buy one that I don't want.

And all this hassle to put it to the test back-to-back with my 991 GT3 to see which one I like best!

On colors, I'm looking at white with a grey stripe or, rather different, black with golden alloys and a golden stripe. Not red, that's for sure...
Tom , Looks like you own/owned a great list of cars. Congrats on 458s , it will be amazing and if you haven't owned a Ferrari ..you owe it to yourself as a car guy. GT3 cannot be compared to 458s at all. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
Tom , Looks like you own/owned a great list of cars. Congrats on 458s , it will be amazing and if you haven't owned a Ferrari ..you owe it to yourself as a car guy. GT3 cannot be compared to 458s at all. Good luck.
Vinod, Why did you sell your Scud if GT3s and Porsches are so inferior to Ferraris??? You had a nice Scud... Thought you liked your new Cayman S!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

calling NJ-GT................
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Vinod, Why did you sell your Scud if GT3s and Porsches are so inferior to Ferraris??? You had a nice Scud... Thought you liked your new Cayman S!
Scott , we are comparing a 458 scud version to a 991 gt3 with pdk its obviously in a different league of performance and excitement. Both are double clutch cars , its not like your rs that has 6 speed to offer Driver engagement. Ferrari looks better, sounds better,probably faster than 991 gt3 based on numbers. Whats not to like except the price? I sold my scud because i drove 7 k plus miles in a year and got a bit more than what i paid. I just couldnt pass up the deal. I love the new cayman and it serves my purpose well for track duty only. for street only cars i prefer ferrari , track only porsche.

Nothing against gt3 , i owned one and may buy one again. But If someone can afford a 458 scud version why not ?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
for street only cars i prefer ferrari , track only porsche.
I am curious to know why you would track only Porsche and street drive only Ferrari? I would think you'd like to get that Ferrari out on the track, no?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For most, including me, it seems like a crazy comparison since the 458 speciale is expected to be trading hands at 450k ish and very difficult to get. OTOH, if one has the luxury of being able to easily afford either and can then compare cars based solely on merit independent of price, then it's a valid comparison and certainly the 458 will be king.

Kind of like when R&T does the best driver's car every year and compares a subaru to a lambo.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
For most, including me, it seems like a crazy comparison since the 458 speciale is expected to be trading hands at 450k ish and very difficult to get. OTOH, if one has the luxury of being able to easily afford either and can then compare cars based solely on merit independent of price, then it's a valid comparison and certainly the 458 will be king.
I know it's crazy, yet that's exactly what I am going to do... to determine which one will give me the biggest smile on my face while driving it (hard) and hence earns his spot in my garage.

Then yesterday somebody asked: "why don't you buy a Carrera GT instead of that Ferrari?"... which got me thinking again! Sure, it's an 'older' and high-maintenance car, but it's a future classic, won't depreciate a lot, got a screaming V10, true analogue supercar...
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I know it's crazy, yet that's exactly what I am going to do... to determine which one will give me the biggest smile on my face while driving it (hard) and hence earns his spot in my garage.

Then yesterday somebody asked: "why don't you buy a Carrera GT instead of that Ferrari?"... which got me thinking again! Sure, it's an 'older' and high-maintenance car, but it's a future classic, won't depreciate a lot, got a screaming V10, true analogue supercar...
The CGT is an amazing car. Even though it is about 10 years older than the 458, it still is faster.

That said, it is a very difficult car to drive. It does not have any nanny aids and with its power 612hp weight 3200 lbs it can be very squirrelly to drive. The problem I had with it as many others have is it requires your full attention at all times. The slightest mistake will have you spinning. Before you buy I suggest you drive it at least for a couple of hours.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the PDK only GT3, Pete Stout removed it off his dream car list. What remains are all three pedal cars including the CGT.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post10538161

I believe he posted somewhere on hear his impressions of the CGT after a decent amount of seat time. IIRC, he said it isn't nearly as hairy to drive as its reputation would have you believe. Since he has experience with the beast it may be worth PM'ing him on the topic.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Didnt evo recently try it with different tires which supposedly transformed the handling?

I thought the cgt had some form of traction control?

If there was on car which I believe has generational value, worth keeping in a family "forever".. It's the cgt. Mechanically simple, beautifully constructed with many beautiful details, and full of secrets requiring the driver to continue learning throughout his ownership years. I perceive this car as a sort of mclaren f1, below the $1million+ level. More desirable than its contemporaries like an Enzo and slr, and much more desirable than a 918 IMO
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
With the PDK only GT3, Pete Stout removed it off his dream car list. What remains are all three pedal cars including the CGT.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post10538161

I believe he posted somewhere on hear his impressions of the CGT after a decent amount of seat time. IIRC, he said it isn't nearly as hairy to drive as its reputation would have you believe. Since he has experience with the beast it may be worth PM'ing him on the topic.
When the Stig drove it for Top Gear (or was it Fifth gear?) he spun the car several times while trying to establish a time for the TV series on their track. Finally, after several attempts he was able to complete the course and establish a good time.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Ferrari's, truly do. As a stand alone car manufacturer they have built the best looking cars out of the history of any other car maker. But I don't want to spend over $200K on a car that has not the greatest quality and reliability. And when you are spending $200K+ on a new car; reliability and quality should be tantamount. And we all pretty much know with some certainty we know which copies of what car brand thisb applies too..

Now, its just that some of us put up with the quirks and low(er) reliability and quality.

Hu
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What percentage of these special F458 Ferrari will go to folks who already own a Ferrari or have a deep report with a Ferrari Dealership? That helped a lot with me and Alessandro Ribola, Sales Manager, at McLaren in SF. And Im still trying to get up there for my all day test drive. Im going to buy a GoPro for that trip and a stop off in Freemont at Sharky's to do a once over. Alex and Dan,.its coming soon. Hopefully sooner than later.

You do realize one of Ferrari's "Kaizan" parameters are the smell of their own Farts.

I had mentioned that to someone at a Porsche Dealership in an email and they told me they nearly peed their pants after reading that email I sent them inquiring on a few issues - shared it with a few people in the office.

There will always be that imaginary ghost arm of Enzo Ferrari from keeping some folks who would like to buy a NEW Rare Ferrari FAR AWAY from getting one new at the dealership! As many of us know that "some" Ferrari ownership is a Privilege that only a small fortunate few are allowed! Those who are deemed fortunate enough to.collect a rare new Ferrari. And please don't bring up the F40. They were only to build only a few of them but they just kept on building them just to keep up with the Porsche 959! Something like 1400+. Porsche ended up building less 959s than Ferrari F40s since they canceled Gruppe B?

What I do notice however is you must be more educated about their product than they are. That helps A LOT. Especially if you can talk to a sales manager.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 10-04-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Hoof Hearted?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So, are you saying the "list" is not an absolute thing.. Is there a way around it if you want to buy your first new Ferrari at msrp?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by vf430
I am not feeling it so much yet, too busy and goofy hood details and stripe colors. Performance is fantastic. Scud is always about the feel of the car , cant wait to hear the on road reviews.

Ferrarichat response is utter disappointment over styling. Maybe real life pictures will look better.
That's kinda funny. I don't think the average GT3 rennlister cares as much about how the car looks as long is it drives well.

Quick Reply: 458 Speciale: the "GT3" of the 458 arrives