Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

458 Speciale: the "GT3" of the 458 arrives

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not feeling it so much yet, too busy and goofy hood details and stripe colors. Performance is fantastic. Scud is always about the feel of the car , cant wait to hear the on road reviews.

Ferrarichat response is utter disappointment over styling. Maybe real life pictures will look better.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
In this case I can't agree! You guys are not fair...
Will you take a look at how much this car costs?!
Not to mention we've been complaining for months now(myself included) about the loss of the manual transmission in the GT3,when was the last time the Fiat had a manual?
Well said. Nice car, out of my price range.....
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the alfa is about the size of an exige .
Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

No center locks. Go figure....

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

I so hoped that this car would blow me away... yet it doesn't. At all. Sure, the performance will be epic (although I was hoping for slightly higher revs and a bit more torque as compared to the normal one), yet the looks only managed to make the car come across less homogeneous IMO.

So far, my tactics haven't changed though:
1. See the GT3 and Speciale at the IAA in Frankfurt next month
2. Take delivery of the GT3 in October
3. Order the GT3 RS a.s.a.p. (just in case)
4. Take delivery of the Speciale... a bit later (probably Q1 2014)
5. Drive them both, interchangeably, for a while
6. Keep the one that gives me the biggest smile on my face and sell the other
7. Drive happily ever after...
Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the alfa is about the size of an exige .
but with more creature comforts, like sound deadening etc.

what appeals to me about this car, is a certain "mini-ferrari" quality it has... especially in the taillights, especially in red. Also, the b pillar and wrap-around windshield scream Lancia Stratos to me. I have to imagine that the driving experience of this car is worth the extra $20k that they are charging for it (should have been $60k... my sales rep said closer to the $80k for the launch edition with the carbon). That low weight and un-assisted steering should really provide a unique driving experience even at low speeds... this just might be the car that you can drive on your local roads without breaking the law, and still have a huge grin on your face. Also, it's going to have a certain rarity which, if we're going to be honest, does feel good when you're driving it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
sad that porsche doesn't make something nowadays like this that really excites.
Apples and oranges.....
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I am not feeling it over a regular 458 which I own. A 911 is a much different car. It is apples and hand grenades. A GT2RS got into Ferrari money. I am not feeling that either.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
In this case I can't agree! You guys are not fair...
Will you take a look at how much this car costs?!
Not to mention we've been complaining for months now(myself included) about the loss of the manual transmission in the GT3,when was the last time the Fiat had a manual?
This thing is a piece of work,no doubt and with that weight/power it will probably destroy everything at the track!
agree, but i reckon a ferrari is a ferrari, and a porsche is a porsche.
clear identities.
now, a porsche is trying to be a ferrari.
they are losing their identity, hence the retrograde shift to antiques en masse.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny enough I received a Porsche survey Today. Wish they had room for extra comments. Maybe they don't want to hear the truth ?
Ferrari 458 is a great looking car and great street car for what I could absorb with little driving.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

agree, but i reckon a ferrari is a ferrari, and a porsche is a porsche.
clear identities.
now, a porsche is trying to be a ferrari.
they are losing their identity, hence the retrograde shift to antiques en masse.
Porsche is trying to be a Ferrari just because they've implemented a modern gearbox, or is there something else? And a retrograde shift to antiques en masse? There are an awful lot of former and current Porsche owners in line for the new GT3, which is a big reason why it's currently so hard to get.

As I've said before, tradition is important but Porsche has always been about building the best car it can for a given time. It's "identity" used to be the 356. Then it was air-cooled cars. Those cars were appropriate for then, the new ones are appropriate for now. Adapt or die....
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are adapting by building s.u.v.'s
ferrari have a clear identity and their stradale/scuderia/speciale line are truly special.
a marked notch above the regular lines. they just scrape in to rules and regulations.
even though i don't really like ferrari, as an enthusiast i do respect these versions of the base car.
i respect the passion that has gone into them. montemezolo and crew have gone all-out with these cars, and it shows in the end products. they are minimum compromise.
when is porsche gonna display the same passion, like it used to? hopefully the rs will shut us up, and we know for now that it will be pdk, but it better have some real intent, to keep the real enthusiasts excited.
they have lost some of their panache for sure in recent times imo
Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ that +1
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

they are adapting by building s.u.v.'s
ferrari have a clear identity and their stradale/scuderia/speciale line are truly special.
a marked notch above the regular lines. they just scrape in to rules and regulations.
even though i don't really like ferrari, as an enthusiast i do respect these versions of the base car.
i respect the passion that has gone into them. montemezolo and crew have gone all-out with these cars, and it shows in the end products. they are minimum compromise.
when is porsche gonna display the same passion, like it used to? hopefully the rs will shut us up, and we know for now that it will be pdk, but it better have some real intent, to keep the real enthusiasts excited.
they have lost some of their panache for sure in recent times imo
Porsche would have dried up and blown away without the Cayenne, and the fact that they build an SUV is irrelevant to their sports cars except for the fact that it insured that they would get to keep building them. When the Cayenne came out more than 10 years ago Porsche didn't have a giant company like Fiat backstopping them and were forced to diversify their product line to survive and grow. Besides, many here have been heaping praise on the new Corvette. Hard to understand why since it clearly doesn't have an "identity". I mean, how could it; Chevy also builds trucks and cheap compacts, right?

Why is a Ferrari with paddle shift gearbox and electronic aids (SSC, e-diff, torque management, etc) an example of purity, passion, and no compromise but a GT3 with those same things isn't? Do you really think AP and his team weren't passionate about the car they developed? OTOH, if by "no-compromise" you mean that Ferrari pulls out all the stops performance wise, I imagine when you ask a price over 2 times that of a GT3 you can eliminate some compromise.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Porsche would have dried up and blown away without the Cayenne, and the fact that they build an SUV is irrelevant to their sports cars except for the fact that it insured that they would get to keep building them. When the Cayenne came out more than 10 years ago Porsche didn't have a giant company like Fiat backstopping them and were forced to diversify their product line to survive and grow. Besides, many here have been heaping praise on the new Corvette. Hard to understand why since it clearly doesn't have an "identity". I mean, how could it; Chevy also builds trucks and cheap compacts, right?

Why is a Ferrari with paddle shift gearbox and electronic aids (SSC, e-diff, torque management, etc) an example of purity, passion, and no compromise but a GT3 with those same things isn't? Do you really think AP and his team weren't passionate about the car they developed? OTOH, if by "no-compromise" you mean that Ferrari pulls out all the stops performance wise, I imagine when you ask a price over 2 times that of a GT3 you can eliminate some compromise.
Well stated. I agree completely.

Quick Reply: 458 Speciale: the "GT3" of the 458 arrives