Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Porsche GT3 RS and GT2 spotted in San Fransisco!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Porsche GT3 RS and GT2 spotted in San Fransisco!

Saw this on the Rennteam forum and I thought i'd share it, for the people that aren't on that forum.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/08/17/s...san-francisco/

Credits to the original poster on Rennteam

Suzy991
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The text says RS with PDK only and the shifter in pics 7 and 13 looks like a PDK lever to me.....

Thanks for the "get", Suzy.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard a suggestion the RS will be unveiled "first thing" next year. I guess that depends on the definition of which major car show is first in the year.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks as though the GT3 RS has the wider 'turbo' fenders with vents but the front fenders look the same from what I can tell. The photos posted earlier with the car on the N'ring are more revealing.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
It looks as though the GT3 RS has the wider 'turbo' fenders with vents but the front fenders look the same from what I can tell. The photos posted earlier with the car on the N'ring are more revealing.
I think it would be good if the RS did have the Moby Dick look of the 991 turbo, but I don't see it in these pics. One looks like it has a faked GT3 wing, one looks like it has a turbo wing (with vertical actuator posts.)
I'm guessing/hoping these are mules with none of the RS goodness (carbon fenders, roof, chin, canards, foil wing, cold air ducts, etc.)

I wish our (much appreciated) "spies" would kindly take a knee and photograph under the car! : ) I think Porsche is long overdue to deliver passive underbody aero, and diffuser, plus I think the air bladder chin on the turbo might be a bit silly, but if it can extend at speed, well, if they don't put it on, I'll probably go get it out of spare parts and do it myself. : )
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I wish our (much appreciated) "spies" would kindly take a knee and photograph under the car! : ) I think Porsche is long overdue to deliver passive underbody aero, and diffuser, plus I think the air bladder chin on the turbo might be a bit silly, but if it can extend at speed, well, if they don't put it on, I'll probably go get it out of spare parts and do it myself. : )
The new GT3 already has an angled underbody rear diffuser beneath the engine extending to the rear bumper. The RS will have at least a similar, if not more elaborate set up.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Appears that both cars are equipped with *** seats......
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The new GT3 already has an angled underbody rear diffuser beneath the engine extending to the rear bumper. The RS will have at least a similar, if not more elaborate set up.
True, but the underside of the 911 has been fully enclosed since the 993 and that "diffuser" is little more than a nice engine tray. : )
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Appears that both cars are equipped with *** seats......
If only the Vette had the Porsche *** ... sadly both the "GT" (standard) seat in the Stingray and the "Competition" seat are about as bolstered and supportive as the cross town bus. I don't know what GM is thinking. The top half of the Competition seat is really pretty decent (better than the Porsche "Star Trek" space shuttle seat in the 996 GT3 days) but where you expect it to form into shell bucket, it becomes a TV sofa. I guess they know their customer ... : )
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only the Vette had the Porsche *** ... sadly both the "GT" (standard) seat in the Stingray and the "Competition" seat are about as bolstered and supportive as the cross town bus. I don't know what GM is thinking. The top half of the Competition seat is really pretty decent (better than the Porsche "Star Trek" space shuttle seat in the 996 GT3 days) but where you expect it to form into shell bucket, it becomes a TV sofa. I guess they know their customer ... : )
...the longevity of the 996 GT3 seat...is quite remarkable...here's a shot of it in 2152 or so....
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

I think it would be good if the RS did have the Moby Dick look of the 991 turbo, but I don't see it in these pics. One looks like it has a faked GT3 wing, one looks like it has a turbo wing (with vertical actuator posts.)
I'm guessing/hoping these are mules with none of the RS goodness (carbon fenders, roof, chin, canards, foil wing, cold air ducts, etc.)

You can see the difference in comparing these photos:

This car has the wider turbo rear fenders (flatter top surface)

This car is a GT3 mule with the wide fenders of the C4 (notice the greater downward slope compared to the photo above)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Okay, I see that. Maybe it's the power of suggestion or the angle and the reflections. I guess you could resize one pic and then measure relative to the registration number plate. But what is the "turbo" car that has the narrower body and movable wing? And why? I mean, why would this be a GT2 -- surely the GT2 is going to be as wide as the turbo. I guess I don't have all that much interest (in these rather staged looking "spy" pics) one way or the other, but it's a good thing if this tells us the RS will be wider again than the GT3. Anyway, who brings a factory mule to one of the busiest tourist spots in the world (that's the parking area north of Golden Gate?) parks at the curb and then expects people to think it's "caught" on camera?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Okay, I see that. Maybe it's the power of suggestion or the angle and the reflections. I guess you could resize one pic and then measure relative to the registration number plate. But what is the "turbo" car that has the narrower body and movable wing? And why? I mean, why would this be a GT2 -- surely the GT2 is going to be as wide as the turbo. I guess I don't have all that much interest (in these rather staged looking "spy" pics) one way or the other, but it's a good thing if this tells us the RS will be wider again than the GT3. Anyway, who brings a factory mule to one of the busiest tourist spots in the world (that's the parking area north of Golden Gate?) parks at the curb and then expects people to think it's "caught" on camera?
There is no suggestion, it is really different. I highly doubt the car is a GT2, rather the RS. And I agree, I think they want to be caught on film. Good for publicity and gets internet chatter/interest going.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I highly doubt the car is a GT2, rather the RS. And I agree, I think they want to be caught on film. Good for publicity and gets internet chatter/interest going.
Agreed. GT2 will have two exhaust outlets as in the past and in current Turbo.

Question is whether those wider front fenders are a CF option vs the tack-on lips seen in earlier spy shots or whether they're standard.

And if they really want to light up the internet chatter they need only offer up a luddite shifter "spy" shot.....
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of the Turbo...first drive review just posted on Autocar (UK)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche GT3 RS and GT2 spotted in San Fransisco!