Sound symposer in the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
3rd from bottom you can see the engine sound pad (black) and I cant see any compromises to it which would let sound through to the cabin...
Agreed. The Carrera engine approach (a pipe with a filter over it) could be completely different for the new GT engine, but it looks kosher. If you have all the heart transplant surgery pics on a share site (eg. google drive or picasa are free and easy) I'm curious to see all the gory snuff pics in full resolution.

A photo of the engine from the perspective of above the transaxle, looking "backwards" out of the car (really "forwards" to the front of the engine, or at what would be a flywheel) should show the whole intake airbox ducting from filter to plenum ... if they're going to pick up induction harmonics, they'd surely have to have a diaphragm or something there ... god forbid the day they just put some mic's in there and amplify it through a DSP into the audio system...
Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
To my ear, there does seem to be the same cabin resonance and reverberation that the "symposer" (could Porsche have been any more ironic with that term?) creates in the Carrera cabin. It's not nice. It's not there with the same obnoxious falsity of the Carrera, but it does seem to be there.

Maybe someone has an engine diagram or something showing the intake. All I can see is vanity covers ... nice, carbon fiber looking panel, but still, unless it helps with airflow and cooling or keeping the rain out or the intake cold, I'd rather they just open up the engine bay and show us whatever little can be seen.
I suspect you're hearing more induction noise through the firewall. After all, the symposer is just Porsche's way of making the natural induction noise more audible in the cabin given all of the insulation in the Carrera, most of which is missing in the GT3. (At least they're not piping it in over the audio system like BMW). Macca and his sources track completely with my sources; there is no ducting of induction noise into the GT3 cabin.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:23 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose we all have to draw the line somewhere. But to me, and for no real good reason, augmenting the sound with internally-routed pipes/microphones/made up noise feels artificial and somehow wrong. (Full disclosure, I bought a SW exhaust, and this is acceptable to do IMO--yes, I see that the distinction is somewhat nuanced and up for debate.) However, I can also see how others might not object to some of this auditory technology. I mean it's not like we want a ton of road and external noise by losing all insulation, just the engine noise. Somehow, I suspect it'll become more acceptable and commonplace especially as we see the decline of NA engines and the rise of hybrid and other "quiet" technology. I suppose I'll just become one of the old-timer hard-liners (albeit one who's ok with TC, PDK, RWS, etc!). I just say no to the symposeur!!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
(At least they're not piping it in over the audio system like BMW).
That is generous....they are not piping it - they are generating an entirely different sound track, has nothing to do with the engine in the car. They might as well throw a flat plane V8 in there....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That is generous....they are not piping it - they are generating an entirely different sound track, has nothing to do with the engine in the car. They might as well throw a flat plane V8 in there....
Worse than I thought. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that at least they were reproducing the actual sounds via some sort of feedback arrangement. Yuck....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi CarreraGT. I have a folder with around 40 x 4MB pictures from the procedure. I live on a coral pacific island with a low bandwidth (bloody expensive) sat link. These are all I can give you today sorry. If there is a specific slide you wish emailed to you PM your email addy.

As stated the head of service at the main dealer that conducted the swaps (on all cars) confirmed there is not symposium or anything else of that nature. You are hearing the engine only.
Attached Images       
Old 08-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

CarreraGT. Ive scanned the PET and cant find anything to indicate untoward (at least in regards the intake Pleneum and airbox - cant think where else they would beable to take a pick up?).
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Macca,
thanks for the pics...
OT...do you know if the coolant pipe connections are differ from the 997? ie. prevent the connection decoupling.
Thx!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

GTEE3. I believe they have been redesigned as not to become a problem as they can do on 996GT3, turbo, 997 GT3 etc. Ill try and find out for sure...
Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

^ Thanks mate!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Macca, these pictures are the greatest car **** I've seen in a while thank you for posting just awesome documentation. Oh and great color
Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
CarreraGT. Ive scanned the PET and cant find anything to indicate untoward (at least in regards the intake Pleneum and airbox - cant think where else they would beable to take a pick up?).
Thanks for the research. Unless there's something in the PET that equates to the symposeur of the Carrera, I really doubt there's anything in there. There could be a diaphragm or resonant conduit anywhere in the engine bay, not even necessarily in the intake near the throttle butterfly ... they've had five plus years to R&D other configurations (assuming they've concluded the Carrera approach is less than satisfactory.) What I think I hear is some "real" resonance especially at very light throttle openings around 2000 to 3000 rpm. I spent almost two hours this afternoon just sliding around on wet roads, exploring the range of handling with small throttle positions at socially responsible speeds (I'd guess 10% throttle, with the dot meandering around the upper 80% range of the torque chart thingy.) It really is a great sounding engine. Windows closed, 20% throttle, take it to 5000 rpm in 2nd gear, the sounds are quite marvelous, reminds me of the 997.1 GT3 the first time I heard it from pit lane, passing wide open throttle under load during magazine tests at Sears point ... and this engine just wants to romp all around the place. The medley of breathing in and out through the up-shifts is just begging to really get into the meat of the power band. Feels like a real engine. Still not a 964 or 993 with motor sound, but very enjoyable. Anyway, I think we lay the bose soundwave skepticism to rest. : )
Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
BMW is moving to an artificial video-game like engine noise through their audio systems. M5/M6 have it. It sounds great...but you wouldn't know if the car was powered by 4 electric motors.

Porsche is using an acoustic bridge between internal induction noise and the cabin. I can get behind that.
New M3 has it as well. Not impressed. Engineer a better exhaust if you're worried about sound but this artificial crap is for the birds IMO.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Like the looks of the headers and collectors but holy moly those side mufflers are enourmous. So much potential weight to be binned.....
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Sound symposer in the GT3