Sponsored by:

Oct issue of EVO magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mike in CA, so the way I see it, I can either go with a $135k car (just front lift), or a $148k car with leather and stereo and deviated stitching etc. this would be my first new Porsche and I'm torn between a base car just for performance, and a nice car which has beautiful features inside as well like leather etc.

How much leather is enough?.. Seems like you either go the whole way or keep it all plasticky inside?
I'm not Mike, but I went through the same thinking. All depends on whether you are going to drive it outside of track and if you are going to keep it for a while. To me it was yes on both, so I decided to make it a bit nicer - red stitching and leather required for it, swiveling headlights (PDLS), which saved me from a deer once when I was driving to a track through winding roads the night before, so not buying street-driven car without it now; audio thats required for Navi (but really, I'll be listening to the engine). Also added the front lift because I live in steep hills. I'm considering some other interior bits, but purely on emotional level, just to like the car more and have no second thoughts. None of them really make much sense, and I am sure I will not notice them just few weeks after I get the car.

But from all the options I listed, literally NONE are essential for enjoyment, well maybe the front lift, depending on where you live. The plastic is very nice, and suits the car well.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What do you think about those shiny fake-aluminium parts on the doors and cupholder cover panel? I am not a huge fan based on photos and the way they look in standard 991, so was thinking about replacing them with leather-covered or carbon-fiber ones. But on the other hand, leather-covered ones can make the interior even more understated and probably bland? CF seems to be a good compromise but given that it's also fake-ish and previous gens had durabilty issues, I'm not sure about it either, especially given the price...

Right now leaning towards stock or leather-covered.
It is my understanding that it will be real aluminium when the leather option is chosen much like the option available on the Cayenne which I have seen and looks good to me. I touched it to see if it would leave any finger prints and it did not.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I somehow trick myswlf into thinking that $15k in options is not much money, but then I knock myself on the head and recalibtate. At $131k, this gt3 is a bargain in performance terms, and definitely a steal when compared to a Carrera S. I don't want to then ruin that bargain by blowing $15k on some red stitching and a few amenities.

I just need to figure out if ill be happy with my basic plastic interior, or, if ill wish id gone for the full monty on my dream car. The gt3 is a type and price range of car which, after I have kids or other obligations, will be unattainable. im planning on using on street a lot, and some occasional track, probablu keping for a yr or two.

I'm looking fwd to seeing what other customers gt3 builds look like, so when my jan ordering time rolls around ill not be going in blind.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
It is my understanding that it will be real aluminium when the leather option is chosen much like the option available on the Cayenne which I have seen and looks good to me. I touched it to see if it would leave any finger prints and it did not.

Even without full leather you get brushed aluminium. The difference is in the doors. Without full leather no alu strip.

I'm trusting it wíll look better than what's in the Carrera, which is ok but not much more, if it is not I'll just squint...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, since I haven't posted my specs before, here it goes...

Very basic, I'd say, less than 7% of the base price added in options:
- White
- Black leather interior, seats leather/Alcantara
- 90l-Fuel tank
- Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
- Luggage net passenger footwell
- Smoking package (for charger)
- Floor mats
- Sports seats Plus (4-way, electric)
- Sound Package Plus
- Chrono Package
- Telephone module
- Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface

That's it. The only thing I wasn't really sure about was the PDLS+ headlights, but I just felt it would be another nice, albeit expensive, way to differentiate the car from 'normal' 991s or its predecessors.

Now all I have to do is wait for another 2 months... however, I'm going to the IAA in Frankfurt next month to ease the wait and finally see it in the flesh, together with the 458 'Scuderia'!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious as to why you ordered LED's.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Right, since I haven't posted my specs before, here it goes...

Very basic, I'd say, less than 7% of the base price added in options:
- White
- Black leather interior, seats leather/Alcantara
- 90l-Fuel tank
- Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
- Luggage net passenger footwell
- Smoking package (for charger)
- Floor mats
- Sports seats Plus (4-way, electric)
- Sound Package Plus
- Chrono Package
- Telephone module
- Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface

That's it. The only thing I wasn't really sure about was the PDLS+ headlights, but I just felt it would be another nice, albeit expensive, way to differentiate the car from 'normal' 991s or its predecessors.

Now all I have to do is wait for another 2 months... however, I'm going to the IAA in Frankfurt next month to ease the wait and finally see it in the flesh, together with the 458 'Scuderia'!
TomTom. My order is identical!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
Get to Tasmania for Australia's best driving roads.
Get to New Zealand for Australia's best driving roads. period. LOL!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What do you think about those shiny fake-aluminium parts on the doors and cupholder cover panel? I am not a huge fan based on photos and the way they look in standard 991, so was thinking about replacing them with leather-covered or carbon-fiber ones. But on the other hand, leather-covered ones can make the interior even more understated and probably bland? CF seems to be a good compromise but given that it's also fake-ish and previous gens had durabilty issues, I'm not sure about it either, especially given the price...

Right now leaning towards stock or leather-covered.
I toyed with the idea of covering the "aluminum" trim in leather too; in fact it was on my initial configurator build. I saw a 991 interior with that option and personally felt it made things a little dark inside. To me, it also looked obvious that those pieces had been covered so I stayed with stock. It's just so damned subjective though.

As for CF I had exactly the same reservations that you did.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mike in CA, so the way I see it, I can either go with a $135k car (just front lift), or a $148k car with leather and stereo and deviated stitching etc. this would be my first new Porsche and I'm torn between a base car just for performance, and a nice car which has beautiful features inside as well like leather etc.

How much leather is enough?.. Seems like you either go the whole way or keep it all plasticky inside?
I disagree mildly with the last part; I really think the "full leather" option is a big improvement over the standard interior and does enough to give a significantly classier look without other adds. But that's just me. You need to please yourself and if you think the extra leather will make the car for you by all means do it.

Quick Reply: Oct issue of EVO magazine