Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 GT America – First New Car Built for 2014 United Sports Car Racing Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I don't think that is true. Here is the description of the 991 GT3 cup (which is confirmed to use the Mezger engine) -

"Aluminium six-cylinder rear-mounted boxer engine"
(http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ogyandconcept/)
I had heard for 2014 the cup car was getting the new 9A1 racing engine. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Uh, the Mezgar case, water jackets, etc are all aluminum. Are you thinking of the water cooling piping, or cylinder lining, or?
Yes, I am thinking of all the Mezger engine parts that are not aluminum while in the 9A1 motor the entire body/block of the engine is all aluminum.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Yes, I am thinking of all the Mezger engine parts that are not aluminum while in the 9A1 motor the entire body/block of the engine is all aluminum.
I think you've got a bit of a misconception regarding the Mezger and material. On the basic Mezger, for example on a 997.1 GT3, the entire case, water jackets, cylinders, castings for the water pump and lines, heads, etc are all aluminum. Essentially only the bolts holding it together are steel. It's considered an aluminum engine, which is why the link to the 991 cup car engine above states "Aluminium six-cylinder rear-mounted boxer engine". This motor is still the Mezger.

The main difference in architecture the between this and the 9A1 isn't material, it's the fact that the new motor is a single piece casting, where the old one was bolted together.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

The GT America will come with the Mezger engine used in the current Grand-Am GT cars. A 4.0 based on the GT3 4.0RS. The normal 991 cup will come with a 3.8 mezger like the ones in the last 997 Cup cars. This is what I was told in the PMNA truck at Road America last weekend.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
I think you've got a bit of a misconception regarding the Mezger and material. On the basic Mezger, for example on a 997.1 GT3, the entire case, water jackets, cylinders, castings for the water pump and lines, heads, etc are all aluminum. Essentially only the bolts holding it together are steel. It's considered an aluminum engine, which is why the link to the 991 cup car engine above states "Aluminium six-cylinder rear-mounted boxer engine". This motor is still the Mezger.

The main difference in architecture the between this and the 9A1 isn't material, it's the fact that the new motor is a single piece casting, where the old one was bolted together.
I think you are correct. Somewhere along the line Porsche stared calling the latest Mezger an "aluminum engine". They did not call it that when I bought my 996TT.

And yes I am aware of the architectural differences between it and the 9A1 motor.

It is odd that all the resent reports I have read say no more Mezger and I know for a fact that the GT cars Porsche runs at Le Mans and WEC next year will run the 9A1 race motor with DFI but it seems other classes may still run the Mezger. Maybe the total switch over will happen in 2015 and that is what the press is alluding too?

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 GT America – First New Car Built for 2014 United Sports Car Racing Series