991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We seek a 991 GT3 owner

Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Is there enough slack/play in the brake lines to allow the caliper to slide off of a stud? That's a pretty long stud and subsequent long travel to mobilize the caliper.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Is there enough slack/play in the brake lines to allow the caliper to slide off of a stud? That's a pretty long stud and subsequent long travel to mobilize the caliper.
There's a screw holding the line in place on the back of the wheel carrier, then connectors for the wear sensors, that's enough to get the pad free of the rotor. I suggest planning ahead with a stand of some sort since it's hard to "hang" the caliper without risking the paint. The real challenge is the clips and spring retainers. When I ordered the kit of parts, I was surprised to see so many little doodads. It's easy work, but not something I want to do in the paddock compared to just spreading the pads with channel-locks and a bit of rubber to protect the caliper as with the 993.
That Porsche didn't use an open bridge like the Brembo race or the Stop Tech, I dunno, seems like they had to watch the "bill of materials" when making this $150K track day toy. I'm sure they did their homework on the new caliper and there's surely arguments in favor of a lighter, stiffer monobloc and the increased service interval between pad changes and open bridge is more of an endurance racing application. Porsche probably looks at things like feel, modulation and release as more important, so stiffness and heat soak become the priority factors. The 997 GT3 front caliper has the stiffness of a ripe kumquat, so I'm glad they're history, but I was hoping for that race caliper and some pad compound selection (and of course a PCCB that's not 90's lamination technology.)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

For easy swapping the fixed bridge calipers, aside from the plethora of small bits and springs and clips and new caliper bolts, I'd suggest the learned experience from the 997 GT3 is to go to fixed studs and nuts.
And thats the next problem... With the 991 Cup now having gone to PFC brakes and the street car on brembos, the caliper stud conversions once possible with the 997 cars will likely no longer be possible unless an aftermarket group provide a solution...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: We seek a 991 GT3 owner