Sponsored by:

EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test

Edition 187 October 2013 - arrived for UK subscribers today.....contains full test of 991 GT3 inclusive comparisons with GT-R, RS 4.0 and MP4-12C

Apologies but not near a scanner....but here from the conclusion

"So after four days of intensive testing that took in the mountains of Austria, the flatlands of Lincolnshire, a racetrack, a GT-R, a 12 C and a 997 GT3 RS 4.0, what conclusions can we draw?

Well, first and foremost, the GT3 is very fast and very, very capable. On dry roads in Austria, the GT-R just couldn't live with the GT3's braking stability and cornering speed, the GT3 RS 4.0 didn't see which way it went here in the UK, and the 12C - perhaps the only car in our tests that can claim to be faster than the GT3 on the road - was just pipped on the track. If you get your kicks from numbers and driving around like your hair is on fire, the GT3 looks like a positive bargain at GBP 100,540.
the chassis's crazy ability to change direction and its vast reserves of grip mean that to make the GT3 really alive, you need a clear road and an unhealthy disregard for your driving licence. Inevitably the sweet, punchy PDK box only pours fuel on the fire, giving easy access to the new engine's wild top-end and allowing you to use every last drop of the car's stunning composure to good effect. To criticise a car for such qualities might seem odd, but as Dickie (Meaden) discovered, its predecessor's physical manual box, short-travel suspension and gritty engine provides greater engagement and excitement at lower, more accessible speeds.
Despite this, the new GT3 is a remarkable machine. Its combination of useability and devastating dynamics truly is a new benchmark, and although it marches into new territory - face to face with the likes of the Ferrari 458 and McLaren 12C - it retains enough character and excitement to proudly wear the GT3 badge. And on track it is gobsmackingly brilliant."
Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't wait till my digital subscription arrives. hope they did a EVOTV segment
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
...driving around like your hair is on fire...
No no no! It's too "soft".
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

as Dickie (Meaden) discovered, its predecessor's physical manual box, short-travel suspension and gritty engine provides greater engagement and excitement at lower, more accessible speeds. "
991 "GT3" sounds like an amazing performer, but for those of us who drive our cars on the streets regularly, the above portion of the conclusion confirms my decision to hang on to my Luddite Edition.

I'm sure, however, that all of the guys getting the new car will be happy campers.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Bill_C4S -- Thanks! Any chance that you'll be near a scanner later...?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
Can't wait till my digital subscription arrives. hope they did a EVOTV segment
Same here....seems like the digital version should be here already!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just keep getting better and better. Thanks for the post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Same here....seems like the digital version should be here already!
I see from your signature, you have a Nov 2013 build, lucky guy!
unfortunately my allocation is for 4th quarter 2014
Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On dry roads in Austria, the GT-R just couldn't live with the GT3's braking stability and cornering speed, the GT3 RS 4.0 didn't see which way it went here in the UK, and the 12C - perhaps the only car in our tests that can claim to be faster than the GT3 on the road - was just pipped on the track. If you get your kicks from numbers and driving around like your hair is on fire, the GT3 looks like a positive bargain at GBP 100,540.
the chassis's crazy ability to change direction and its vast reserves of grip mean that to make the GT3 really alive, you need a clear road and an unhealthy disregard for your driving licence. Inevitably the sweet, punchy PDK box only pours fuel on the fire, giving easy access to the new engine's wild top-end and allowing you to use every last drop of the car's stunning composure to good effect. To criticise a car for such qualities might seem odd, but as Dickie (Meaden) discovered, its predecessor's physical manual box, short-travel suspension and gritty engine provides greater engagement and excitement at lower, more accessible speeds.
Despite this, the new GT3 is a remarkable machine. Its combination of useability and devastating dynamics truly is a new benchmark, and although it marches into new territory - face to face with the likes of the Ferrari 458 and McLaren 12C - it retains enough character and excitement to proudly wear the GT3 badge. And on track it is gobsmackingly brilliant."
For evo to let the GT3 even stay in frame with the 12C, let alone pip it at the post on the track, well, that's the gobsmacking part. The rest of the review is much of the same: a nod to the old school three pedal set, and paragraphs of superlatives for the new car. The only surprise is the lack of respect for the 4.0 "didn't know which way it [the GT3] went" ... oh dear.

Sounds like 9000rpm and PDK are fun. Who'd a thunk? And it's sold out in the US market. Porsche really should sack their marketing, save the budget and just send a car to a couple of these journo's capable of reviewing the cars, not just parroting the talking points in the press pack.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

This is the second review where the issue of the fun factor has been raised. They both imply that the only time the car can be enjoyed is when its near or at its limits. Though I have found this to be the case with my prior Porsche's, I was hoping the GT3 would be different. Let's face it, 99% of the time we will not be near its limit or at high speeds. I was hoping to enjoy the car during that 99%.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

On the streets ur better off with a turbo or better yet gt2 U need to rev the gt3s past 5grand to get really going quicker than a carrera s.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

If you get your kicks from numbers and driving around like your hair is on fire, the GT3 looks like a positive bargain at GBP 100,540.
Pretty much reflects my experience with DCT/PDK. Nice tool to have when you are pushing on a challenging back road. Every where else sort of boring.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess people have different experiences.I had a 997.2 gt3 which was my daily driver for around 10,000km when i sold it

Maybe it depends on the type of roads you drive.... I really found it boring at low speed due to a lot of reasons like low torque below 6k rpm,low speed understeer,gearbox oil temp took some aggressive driving to attain proper temps incl tyres etc.

Ive driven a lot of cars f430, murcielago, 997 turbo, gtr, 1m but when youre driving a gt3 properly(like an insane man on deathrow trying to escape the police) theres no other experience like it.No other car compares to it mostly because of the lovely engine and gearbox matchup. And when you perform those perfectly timed H&T downshifts it felt out of this world amazing.

This was my experience with my car.Other people have there own enjoyment factor but it dosnt mean everyone will have the same experience.So i guess fingers crossed till I get my car in Dec Inshallah(God Willing).
Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by manouk
On the streets ur better off with a turbo or better yet gt2 U need to rev the gt3s past 5grand to get really going quicker than a carrera s.
what's your point?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not surprising to any of us some of the slower fun may be lost, but that was a given. For what it lacks in some areas, will more than make up for in others.

Quick Reply: EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test