Sponsored by:

Top Gear testing the GT3 for next season

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector

Yes..and whats the logic for praising a turbo - while smashing the GT2..not logic for me..but so many things are not logic at top gear...for me its rather an "amusement to watch"..buying cars on based on their conclusions: you must be insane..
+1

We all would be driving British cars if we followed their opinion... At least, Jeremy's opinion.

Suzy991
Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Why does Top Gear even have "seasons"? It is just cruelty, plain and simple.

If the people at the BBC had a shred of decency in them they would run Top Gear nightly all year long, every year, like the Evening News.

"Seasons"? Cold, heartless barbarians thought that up.
I dunno. They do get a bit old afer a while -- the scripted banter is particularly irksome. I dunno. I guess it's now ingrained in the show as part of their schtick: the corny act of surprise as one of them delivers a scripted line, the rearranging of the audience to put the pretty girls in the shot, and Clarkson, with his perennially expectant mother physique and looking like he arrived at the set "breathing fumes" in a non-automotive sense.

Somehow, it's interesting so long as they don't go too long between things like blasting a home made hovercraft past toffee-nosed old gits having their tea and biscuits, but even that ended in an obviously well planned calamity.

When they went to the artic, that was amazing (and amazing that audiences were upset about them "drinking and driving" ... in the artic circle ... days away from civilization, on balloon snow tires in a blizzard driving by gps ...) The most entertaining bit I can remember was Rowan Atkinson (a serious car enthusiast) driving a very respectable "stars in cheap cars" lap record.

I just hope that when they drove the GT3 they didn't paddle the upshifts during the inevitable drag race.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Yes..and whats the logic for praising a turbo - while smashing the GT2..not logic for me..but so many things are not logic at top gear...for me its rather an "amusement to watch"..buying cars on based on their conclusions: you must be insane..
The episode was somewhat logical - it was pitted against the then-new Gallardo LP560-4, which he liked better (he once owned a Gallardo Spyder). Like anybody else, he is entitled to his opinion.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I dunno. They do get a bit old afer a while -- the scripted banter is particularly irksome. I dunno. I guess it's now ingrained in the show as part of their schtick: the corny act of surprise as one of them delivers a scripted line, the rearranging of the audience to put the pretty girls in the shot, and Clarkson, with his perennially expectant mother physique and looking like he arrived at the set "breathing fumes" in a non-automotive sense.

Somehow, it's interesting so long as they don't go too long between things like blasting a home made hovercraft past toffee-nosed old gits having their tea and biscuits, but even that ended in an obviously well planned calamity.

When they went to the artic, that was amazing (and amazing that audiences were upset about them "drinking and driving" ... in the artic circle ... days away from civilization, on balloon snow tires in a blizzard driving by gps ...) The most entertaining bit I can remember was Rowan Atkinson (a serious car enthusiast) driving a very respectable "stars in cheap cars" lap record.

I just hope that when they drove the GT3 they didn't paddle the upshifts during the inevitable drag race.
Yeah, yeah [edit for PC police]

Last edited by RobSpyder; 08-09-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been to London several times as well as other parts of the country. I'm married but not dead so I pay attention. English women are very nice, IMHO.....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
1198r
Pro

That silver looks spectacular
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

I LOVE Top Gear, my favorite TV show by far
But...lets face it: every test follows the same format

1) Host makes funny comments into the camera
2) Power slides !
3) Car is pronounced either "Rubbish" or "Astonishing"

bill
Old 08-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still like watching BBC Top Gear, especially the new.episodes for I've seen all the old ones in syndication.

The American version makes me want to vomit slugs for the lack of personality of the host and the non-camaraderie between all three. That and the regurgitation of many of the BBC challenges points at the lack or creativity...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I still like watching BBC Top Gear, especially the new.episodes for I've seen all the old ones in syndication.

The American version makes me want to vomit slugs for the lack of personality of the host and the non-camaraderie between all three. That and the regurgitation of many of the BBC challenges points at the lack or creativity...
+1 I don't even bother with the fake version....
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

+1 I don't even bother with the fake version....
+2 ( are we allowed to "+2" on this forum?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:40 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
+2 ( are we allowed to "+2" on this forum?
Yes, now that you have 200 posts.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+3
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

+4 (we had an aus version which was so bad it was canned after 1 or 2 seasons)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

The vanquish is there to satisfy a story plot
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default BBC Top Gear sign up Chris Harris as a new TV presenter...

BBC Top Gear really needs to sign up Chris "Monkey" Harris -- the greatest motoring journalist of the current generation -- as a presenter for the new generation of Top Gear!

Chris Harris has built an established reputation around the world for providing the best motoring videos in the world -- at Autocar, DR, Evo and DRIVE -- and clearly has the driving skills, knowledge, personality and ability to engage an audience as a presenter and true automotive enthusiast...

...vote Chris Harris for BBC Top Gear!

Quick Reply: Top Gear testing the GT3 for next season