Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

On the bright side: side impact ... check.

Don't step on Superman's cape ...

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/8/2...-Cars-7715580/

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Speaking of the Vette, reviews are staring to come in ... and they're good. For half the price of the 991 GT3, IMO it's a real contender.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Speaking of the Vette, reviews are staring to come in ... and they're good. For half the price of the 991 GT3, IMO it's a real contender.
OMG, really!?!

CGT, thanks a bunch for starting this, lo,f'inL.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
OMG, really!?!

CGT, thanks a bunch for starting this, lo,f'inL.
Just a little car-nage, nothing ugly, just a couple of pics to show the first example of the Vette taking a hit; not starting a(nother) 20 page thread of Stingray dialog.

I think it's interesting to see the Vette must have been shunted 20 feet, all the way out of the intersection and through the pedestrian crosswalk, but it seems to have held up and the roof lines are apparently not compromised. Pretty good for a Targa design. Of course, the wet roads could have helped -- slower speeds and less grips makes it easier to slide rather than get crumpled.

ps. See? I didn't even write "Yes, the Stingray can be compared to the 991 GT3 regardless of it being barely one THIRD the price!!!"

: ) Justing kidding. Puh-leez ... kidding. : )
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Ouch, I feel badly for the Vette owner.

As for the Vette reviews, I'm sure they will be positive but I just don't care for the looks of the car and am not interested in owning one at any price. I admit, I'm biased......
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I admit, I'm biased......
You? Never...

With a carbon door panel gone along with a front fender and possible aluminum frame damage (notoriously harder to repair) I wonder how much the Vette would cost to fix. Also makes me wonder how much insurance will run on the new Vette...

Does look like it took the hit very well.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reviews written by Americans will be positive and Americans will buy them.

The rest of the world will not like them, as before.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
You? Never...
Thanks for the shot.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
The reviews written by Americans will be positive and Americans will buy them.

The rest of the world will not like them, as before.
I'm an American who's never owned an American car. The new Vette could be my first.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:30 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

He should have hit the Vette in the rear end in order to improve the look. Only could get better! And I am a Corvette owner!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
He should have hit the Vette in the rear end in order to improve the look. Only could get better! And I am a Corvette owner!
Haha. Couldn't agree more.

File under...what were they thinking?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Hahaha! +991

Suzy991
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think it's interesting to see the Vette must have been shunted 20 feet, all the way out of the intersection and through the pedestrian crosswalk, but it seems to have held up and the roof lines are apparently not compromised. Pretty good for a Targa design. Of course, the wet roads could have helped -- slower speeds and less grips makes it easier to slide rather than get crumpled.
That's a big hit and lack of damage to C7 is impressive. I guess they weren't kidding about chassis stiffness:

"It starts at the core of the car. Every 2014 Corvette now features an aluminum frame, not just the higher-performance models. Instead of two uniformly thick, hydroformed rails, the chassis is now made up of five sections using hydroformed aluminum, cast aluminum, and extruded aluminum, with each section tailored to its purpose in strength and stiffness. The result is a 99-pound weight reduction with a 57 percent increase in stiffness. That's 60 percent stiffer than today's Z06 with the C7's removable roof in place, and 20 percent stiffer with the roof out. Curb weight should be about the same after accounting for other changes."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2b6MbSjuu

I suspect ZO7 and ZR2 or whatever they're called will be eliciting a lot of point-bys when they show up on track, even with luddite manual trans.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Dan39
Racer

I'm an American who's never owned an American car. The new Vette could be my first.
You're an American - that was my point. Most non-Americans with money would never own an American car.

It would be even less likely that they would want to own a vulgar, gaudy, pig like the Corvette/Mustang/Viper.

You can argue performance-for-value and most would concede that point to the American cars. But to argue they are more desireable - keep dreaming.

They are, in reality, beyond undesireable outside of the US to the point that it is embarassing to be seen in one.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer

I suspect ZO7 and ZR2 or whatever they're called will be eliciting a lot of point-bys when they show up on track, even with luddite manual trans.

Just ahead of that is the new seven-speed manual trans, an evolution of the Tremec six-speed in the C6. As well as the third overdrive gear (Z51s get shorter performance gearing and a closer overall ratio spread), it boasts active rev-matching for up- and downshifts. A hall effect sensor on the shift rail monitors every minute movement of the shifter and predicts what gear you'll want next, then revs the engine to match. Don't want the computer doing the work? Click either "paddle" on the back of the steering wheel to turn it off. The transmission also features a smaller dual-mass flywheel and smaller, twin-disc clutch that improves clamping power while reducing inertia and shift effort. And, yes, it still has skip-shift.

Doesn't sound too luddite to me. Might as well use a DCT.

Quick Reply: Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.