Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
...and no pictures....
I posted them already.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-gt3-pics.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/10607774-post1234.html
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, Thought you may have had pictures of the GT3 and Vette literally side by side...My bad.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Ah, Thought you may have had pictures of the GT3 and Vette literally side by side...My bad.

Ah. I guess I should rephrase since they were 'across' from each other, and not next to.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Don't let 458 guys in Modena know about your MSRP calculations. At 4-5x the new Corvette, I guess they're out of business.
Not out of business, but they're certainly selling a lot less cars. If your point is that the GT3 is a bargain compared to the 458, I agree.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not out of business, but they're certainly selling a lot less cars.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/01/f...s-more-profit/
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Performance wise I understand what you're saying in specifically comparing those two.

But I thought we were talking about something different and more general; why Euro buyers don't buy American cars. I understood you to say it was because of price. I'm suggesting that given the fact that the 2014 Corvette is priced unusually competitively against the Carrera in the UK we might have a chance to find out if that's true.
Might help Corvette's cause somewhat...if they actually provided a Right Hand Drive (RHD) car in the UK...something Porsche has been doing since.....1966.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...gray-announced

"Although Chevrolet this year admitted it plans to build right-hand-drive Corvettes in the future, UK Stingrays will initially be left-hand drive"

(..this is the GM who wondered why it sold soooo few cars in Japan in the 90s....well maybe make some RHD cars to start with)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM
tmg57
Racer

I'd like to see Porsche adopt this strategy with, at least, some models. When you pay top dollar for a premium, luxury product, it is worth something to know that not everyone can get one this afternoon. Obviously, pricing plays a part in exclusivity but it's often not enough (read Ferrari).

There was a brief discussion in this forum where someone suggested that Porsche would be limiting sales of the GT3. Others have countered that they have been assured by their dealers that they will be able to get one as there will be plenty of availability. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Unlike a lot of people on this board, I am not concerned that VW might be dictating all of Porsche's design and engineering specifications, I don't think that will happen. I am more concerned that the inexorable pressure on publicly held corporations to show quarter over quarter sales growth will cause VW to "encourage" Porsche's marketing people to put up big sales numbers. Inevitably, that will cheapen the brand.

At first, we will salute that strategy as prices moderate. In the end we will all lose when the product is necessarily cheapened to catch up with the lower pricing.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

^ No offense, but that strikes me as incredibly elitist. Who cares about exclusivity? If other people are able to get the same car as you and enjoy it, does that really take away from your enjoyment of your car? For me, it would be the opposite, the more the merrier. And greater production volume should lower the cost for everyone, while also increasing the manufacturer's overall profit, so it's win-win-win. I buy cars to enjoy driving them and/or for transport, not for status display.

Ferrari can apply their exclusivity strategy because their buyers can pretty much pay whatever Ferrari asks, and those buyers are willing, if not motivated, to send a message to the world that they're rich. I've never seen Porsche or its customers as being about that. Go to a PCA event and you see lots of middle class people, only a minority are wealthy.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM
tmg57
Racer

^

Ferrari can apply their exclusivity strategy because their buyers can pretty much pay whatever Ferrari asks, and those buyers are willing, if not motivated, to send a message to the world that they're rich.
I hope all of the members here that own Ferrari's are sufficiently offended.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Who cares about exclusivity? If other people are able to get the same car as you and enjoy it, does that really take away from your enjoyment of your car? For me, it would be the opposite, the more the merrier. And greater production volume should lower the cost for everyone, while also increasing the manufacturer's overall profit, so it's win-win-win. I buy cars to enjoy driving them and/or for transport, not for status display.
Two words: resale value. Why is a great condition Carrera GT worth less than it sold for new, while an Enzo or F50 is nearing double? While the GT is one of the three "great analog supercars" besting many more expensive cars per Evo?

Porsche sold as many cars as the market will bare, while Ferrari always said they tried to sell one less. More than one these days.

Resale value does make it very difficult for those on a budget to justify buying new. Arguably those on a budget may be the same people most likely to use the cars as intended.

Not sure exactly where I come down on this, I'm just saying...

But he does have a point about the average Ferrari owner being more of a status seeker than a driver. vs Porsche, in my experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Any Ferrari driver who doesn't know that people are staring at him and his car and thinking about how rich he is would be pretty naive. I doubt many are that naive. An exotic supercar is pretty much the height of conspicuous consumption. You can hide your house away, many may not even notice your watch, and clothes can only get so fancy, but the car is a different story.

Originally Posted by Petevb
Two words: resale value. Why is a great condition Carrera GT worth less than it sold for new, while an Enzo or F50 is nearing double? While the GT is one of the three "great analog supercars" besting many more expensive cars per Evo?

Porsche sold as many cars as the market will bare, while Ferrari always said they tried to sell one less. More than one these days.

Resale value does make it very difficult for those on a budget to justify buying new. Arguably those on a budget may be the same people most likely to use the cars as intended.

Not sure exactly where I come down on this, I'm just saying...
Resale value has never been a consideration for me because all of my cars have depreciated significantly and I knew that would happen going in. And it does work both ways. I got my 997 cab new and took a big financial hit when I traded it for the new Cayenne. But I got my 997.1 C2S used for only about $40K with low miles, which strikes me as a bargain. Other cars I owned for many years and put many miles on them, so the depreciation was entirely understandable.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Resale value has never been a consideration for me because all of my cars have depreciated significantly and I knew that would happen going in.
Yes, but what if you had an option? My BMW 1M is likely worth more now, with 30k miles on it, than when I bought it new. There is something to be said for exclusivity...

Funny enough I've owned about 10 Porsche's so far, but I've yet to buy a new one.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Yes, but what if you had an option? My BMW 1M is likely worth more now, with 30k miles on it, than when I bought it new. There is something to be said for exclusivity...

Funny enough I've owned about 10 Porsche's so far, but I've yet to buy a new one.
Lower depreciation would be nice, but it's not something that I count on or factor into purchases. My impression is that our Cayman R has had less depreciation than a Cayman S of the same year, but then we've really driven the thing - lots of miles, including lots of track miles - rather than trying to preserve it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just read R&T article with Tony Stewart thrashing the new Corvette at MRC. Stewart is as enthusiastic as Sutcliffe was with his GT3 review expect that Stewart actually makes some intelligent observations about the Vette's handling. Looking better and better.
Speaking of TS, looks like he'll be rowing an automatic for a bit. Speedy recovery.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/06/t...int-car-crash/
Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
You're an American - that was my point. Most non-Americans with money would never own an American car.

It would be even less likely that they would want to own a vulgar, gaudy, pig like the Corvette/Mustang/Viper.

You can argue performance-for-value and most would concede that point to the American cars. But to argue they are more desireable - keep dreaming.

They are, in reality, beyond undesireable outside of the US to the point that it is embarassing to be seen in one.
wow, tell us how you really feel.

Quick Reply: Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.