Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If cost was a non-issue, I'd take the 991 GT3 over the Vette, but cost is an issue for most, including me. Especially when you consider the risks of wrecking a car at the track.

One thing the Vette does have going for it, though, is abundant torque across most of the rev range due to the big NA engine. Based on my experience with my AMG, there's no substitute for that, they call it 'muscle' for a reason.

As far as desirability outside the US, perhaps there's an image issue, which may take time to change. But if the Vette is great and people pass on it because of preconceptions or preoccupation with image, their loss.
No doubt the Corvette is an incredible performance value. Certainly it is encouraging the direction they seem to be going in addressing the concerns of the market, as well. I think they could do wonders for perceptions if they offered a truly special variant based on their Le Mans cars, similar to what Pratt & Miller did. Just a thought.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
No doubt the Corvette is an incredible performance value. Certainly it is encouraging the direction they seem to be going in addressing the concerns of the market, as well. I think they could do wonders for perceptions if they offered a truly special variant based on their Le Mans cars, similar to what Pratt & Miller did. Just a thought.
Especially because their race cars to NOT use a polymer leaf spring suspension... they use coils over dampers on their race cars.

You'd think they'd offer the race suspension geometry to their customers... I mean GM customers pay for the racing program, right?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Just read R&T article with Tony Stewart thrashing the new Corvette at MRC. Stewart is as enthusiastic as Sutcliffe was with his GT3 review expect that Stewart actually makes some intelligent observations about the Vette's handling. Looking better and better.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Especially because their race cars to NOT use a polymer leaf spring suspension... they use coils over dampers on their race cars.

You'd think they'd offer the race suspension geometry to their customers... I mean GM customers pay for the racing program, right?
Yeah, kinda like Porsche not offering 3-ways dampers, race ABS, or cockpit adjustable sway bars on their $150k "track day" car.

EOD, GT3 margins crush Vette margins so who's really taking their customer's to the cleaners? Just sayin'....
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You're an American - that was my point. Most non-Americans with money would never own an American car.

It would be even less likely that they would want to own a vulgar, gaudy, pig like the Corvette/Mustang/Viper.

You can argue performance-for-value and most would concede that point to the American cars. But to argue they are more desireable - keep dreaming.

They are, in reality, beyond undesireable outside of the US to the point that it is embarassing to be seen in one.
Monied buyers here don't like the image of the Corvette either, but the big difference is that outside of the US the Corvette is much more expensive and closer in price to the competition. And still many love the American stuff!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Corvettes have been: great motors + bottom barrel suspension geometry = numb, uncommunicative driving experience happening fast.

Enough room in the back to carry a Barrett 82A1 in it's Pelican case, though. I know, I've done it.

It's just a shame about the suspension.
The magnetic ride suspension is getting very good reviews, and the feeling one with the car opposed to previous models keeps getting mentioned in the reviews?

If cost was a non-issue, I'd take the 991 GT3 over the Vette, but cost is an issue for most, including me. Especially when you consider the risks of wrecking a car at the track.

One thing the Vette does have going for it, though, is abundant torque across most of the rev range due to the big NA engine. Based on my experience with my AMG, there's no substitute for that, they call it 'muscle' for a reason.

As far as desirability outside the US, perhaps there's an image issue, which may take time to change. But if the Vette is great and people pass on it because of preconceptions or preoccupation with image, their loss.
+1 and I really like shifting myself, not an option on the GT3 at any price. So GT3 is not an option seems like. Corvette to the rescue at $70k discount.

Originally Posted by Arth
Ouch! Painful, but true.
I don't agree, if the value would be the same outside the US it would change quickly.

Originally Posted by frayed
Couldn't agree more. Except perhaps happening 'very' fast.
Even if they build faster ones, I hope that this base version works at 60k, it seems to be fun to drive, if it hold up to track use I won't upgrade to go faster.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just read R&T article with Tony Stewart thrashing the new Corvette at MRC. Stewart is as enthusiastic as Sutcliffe was with his GT3 review expect that Stewart actually makes some intelligent observations about the Vette's handling. Looking better and better.
Exactly, reading the reviews I am reading what I was hoping to read.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yeah, kinda like Porsche not offering 3-ways dampers, race ABS, or cockpit adjustable sway bars on their $150k "track day" car.

EOD, GT3 margins crush Vette margins so who's really taking their customer's to the cleaners? Just sayin'....
Yup. I need to try a PDK-S on track to confirm I can stand an automatic, I need to try a Corvette to see if its fun and will hold up.
At 70-80K less ill start with the Corvette and keep my fingers and toes crossed for a manual RS. For now a CUP and Corvette seem like a good experiment.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony loves the Vette. Where is the healthy skepticism we see concerning the positive Porsche reports? Please refresh my memory, what brand of car does Smoke drive for his most lucrative day job?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
don't agree, if the value would be the same outside the US it would change quickly.
There may be a chance to test your theory. Chevy has announced the pricing of the 2014 Corvette in Britain at 61,495£ which equals about $94K and is $18K+ cheaper than a base UK Carrera. The difference here in the States is $32K but the UK Corvette comes loaded with almost everything including the Z51 package as standard; there are only 4 options. This brings the relative price of the cars close enough that it might be possible to make a meaningful comparison. Maybe the Brits will start buying Stingrays instead of Carreras.

Originally Posted by tmg57
Tony loves the Vette. Where is the healthy skepticism we see concerning the positive Porsche reports? Please refresh my memory, what brand of car does Smoke drive for his most lucrative day job?
Walter Röhrl is obviously a factory shill, while Tony Stewart is totally objective.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
At 2x the price, the burden of proof is on the GT3. It needs to be way better overall. But rest assured, the Vette will be plenty critiqued in days to come, by Vette guys, Porsche guys, et al.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

But I compare the C7 Z51 with a GT3 only. Dry sump VS dry sump. 465HP VS 475HP
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 2x the price, the burden of proof is on the GT3. It needs to be way better overall. But rest assured, the Vette will be plenty critiqued in days to come, by Vette guys, Porsche guys, et al.
Don't let 458 guys in Modena know about your MSRP calculations. At 4-5x the new Corvette, I guess they're out of business.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But I compare the C7 Z51 with a GT3 only. Dry sump VS dry sump. 465HP VS 475HP
Performance wise I understand what you're saying in specifically comparing those two.

But I thought we were talking about something different and more general; why Euro buyers don't buy American cars. I understood you to say it was because of price. I'm suggesting that given the fact that the 2014 Corvette is priced unusually competitively against the Carrera in the UK we might have a chance to find out if that's true.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Fiats are a little embarrassing no?
I guess with the money left over by buying a Vette, I can get a Fiat and wear the same paper bag over my head.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Performance wise I understand what you're saying in specifically comparing those two.

But I thought we were talking about something different and more general; why Euro buyers don't buy American cars. I understood you to say it was because of price. I'm suggesting that given the fact that the 2014 Corvette is priced unusually competitively against the Carrera in the UK we might have a chance to find out if that's true.
OK. But in my neck of the woods in Euroland US stuff is very popular, Vette's Vipers Trucks, Caddys lot's of them as much to expensive prices if we use US evaluations.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I saw the new C7 and 991 GT3 right next to each other in person. There is no comparison when it comes to looks and build quality. Inside and out, the GT3 is better by far, and is the car I would rather have. Just based on seeing the cars in person.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I saw the new C7 and 991 GT3 right next to each other in person. There is no comparison when it comes to looks and build quality. Inside and out, the GT3 is better by far, and is the car I would rather have. Just based on seeing the cars in person.
...and no pictures....

Quick Reply: Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.