Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Doesn't sound too luddite to me. Might as well use a DCT.
Haven't you heard? Word around these parts is that if you have/want to use your left leg to shift then you're a luddite

But I agree with you; pretty trick manual.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Corvettes have been: great motors + bottom barrel suspension geometry = numb, uncommunicative driving experience happening fast.

Enough room in the back to carry a Barrett 82A1 in it's Pelican case, though. I know, I've done it.

It's just a shame about the suspension.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

But you can turn off the rev matching, and apparently just about all of the other aids too.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan39
You're an American - that was my point. Most non-Americans with money would never own an American car.

It would be even less likely that they would want to own a vulgar, gaudy, pig like the Corvette/Mustang/Viper.

You can argue performance-for-value and most would concede that point to the American cars. But to argue they are more desireable - keep dreaming.

They are, in reality, beyond undesireable outside of the US to the point that it is embarassing to be seen in one.
If cost was a non-issue, I'd take the 991 GT3 over the Vette, but cost is an issue for most, including me. Especially when you consider the risks of wrecking a car at the track.

One thing the Vette does have going for it, though, is abundant torque across most of the rev range due to the big NA engine. Based on my experience with my AMG, there's no substitute for that, they call it 'muscle' for a reason.

As far as desirability outside the US, perhaps there's an image issue, which may take time to change. But if the Vette is great and people pass on it because of preconceptions or preoccupation with image, their loss.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39

You're an American - that was my point. Most non-Americans with money would never own an American car.

It would be even less likely that they would want to own a vulgar, gaudy, pig like the Corvette/Mustang/Viper.

You can argue performance-for-value and most would concede that point to the American cars. But to argue they are more desireable - keep dreaming.

They are, in reality, beyond undesireable outside of the US to the point that it is embarassing to be seen in one.
Ouch! Painful, but true.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
But you can turn off the rev matching, and apparently just about all of the other aids too.
Right, but then you'll be slower than the other Vette drivers.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
numb, uncommunicative driving experience happening fast
Couldn't agree more. Except perhaps happening 'very' fast.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Couldn't agree more. Except perhaps happening 'very' fast.
Reviews so far indicate the new Vette is much more communicative and interactive than previous generations. One reviewer said that it has a Porsche feel, and the 991 was the Chevy benchmark in designing the Vette. I'd certainly never buy one without extensive test driving, but I'm keeping an open mind at this point.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
....but I'm keeping an open mind at this point.
Same here. All indications are that it's a big step forward.

I was at Saratoga Auto Museum over the weekend checking out the BMW exhibit. One of the volunteers has a nice pale yellow '66 convertible. Still a great looking car almost 50 years later. Only time will tell how the new C7 holds up.

As for the "hideous" tail, there have been a lot of other cars with fat tails that didn't play well when initially shown. This one in particular comes to mind......
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2013, 03:46 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Just ahead of that is the new seven-speed manual trans, an evolution of the Tremec six-speed in the C6. As well as the third overdrive gear (Z51s get shorter performance gearing and a closer overall ratio spread), it boasts active rev-matching for up- and downshifts. A hall effect sensor on the shift rail monitors every minute movement of the shifter and predicts what gear you'll want next, then revs the engine to match. Don't want the computer doing the work? Click either "paddle" on the back of the steering wheel to turn it off. The transmission also features a smaller dual-mass flywheel and smaller, twin-disc clutch that improves clamping power while reducing inertia and shift effort. And, yes, it still has skip-shift.

I opened the DCT can of worms over on the Corvette forum where I am also a member. Wow---what a bunch of negative haters for the idea of a DCT.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Same here. All indications are that it's a big step forward.

I was at Saratoga Auto Museum over the weekend checking out the BMW exhibit. One of the volunteers has a nice pale yellow '66 convertible. Still a great looking car almost 50 years later. Only time will tell how the new C7 holds up.

As for the "hideous" tail, there have been a lot of other cars with fat tails that didn't play well when initially shown. This one in particular comes to mind......
Now I want to go and watch "Le Mans" again!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Now I want to go and watch "Le Mans" again!
I'm with you, Larry. I watch it about once a year. BTW if you don't have the Blu-Ray version you should get it; it's almost like watching the movie for the first time.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm with you, Larry. I watch it about once a year. BTW if you don't have the Blu-Ray version you should get it; it's almost like watching the movie for the first time.
I will check that out!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I will check that out!!!
FYI

http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Blu-ray-M...ywords=le+mans
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Spyderfun
4th Gear

Count me in on at least test driving the Corvette Stingray with the Z51 package. If they have seriously improved all the areas that were lacking with past Corvettes such as interior, handling feedback, build quality then they will have me as a customer. Porsche has gotten really out of hand with the pricing of their cars. Point & example $85k for a 320 hp Boxster S or Cayman S loaded. Seriously, I had a Boxster Spyder fun car but 1 year and I was bored due to lack of hp. Guys, there a number of manufacturers that have closed the gap on Porsche not only off the track but on the track. At the end of the day it is our hard earned money! I will gladly put my money back into our economy by purchasing American if the product is worthy. Up to this point that has not been the case but I have a feeling times are changing.

Quick Reply: Corvette drivers are meat eaters, but I don't think he ordered this T-Bone.