991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine - GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Good idea - until Porsche throws cold water on "the dream" by hinting at, or actually announcing, the "Next Greater Thing".

As you get the keys to your shiny new RS, the salesman will asking if you've heard about the 600hp flat 8 that will be shown at the next big show.
When I was kid, I didn't even expect to get an MB. Got some MBs and BMWs, then got my first Porsche and it was truly a 'wow, can't believe it' experience. 'Dream car' has always been something on the order of Ferrari or Lambo, but the 991 GT3 is pretty close, and at far lower cost, and I anticipate that I'd be happy with it (various standard gripes aside), and wouldn't be longing for anything else (and I'm by no means discontent with my 997.1 C2S). The RS will be more than I prefer to spend, but is an option because the base GT3 may effectively be sold out. And if a 997.2 RS falls into my lap at a good price, that would work too, it has its appeal compared to the 991 GT3. In short, I'm not a want-the-latest-and-greatest or first-guy-to-get-one sort of guy; just looking for something which may be a step up in intensity, fun, and speed compared to what I have (the C2S and Cayman R).
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. Are you planning to replace your new 458 already?

You could buy the adaptive seats separate if you need to. The cage is bolt in I think and out and can be removed.

However the GT3 makes much more sense economically if you are going to remove the cage and strap in lunge chairs.
Originally Posted by tmg57
Good idea - until Porsche throws cold water on "the dream" by hinting at, or actually announcing, the "Next Greater Thing".

As you get the keys to your shiny new RS, the salesman will asking if you've heard about the 600hp flat 8 that will be shown at the next big show.
good move on the salesman' s part. some people -like myself - are fully susceptible to this.....---)))peter
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markow
good move on the salesman' s part. some people -like myself - are fully susceptible to this.....---)))peter
Me too.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
When I was kid, I didn't even expect to get an MB. Got some MBs and BMWs, then got my first Porsche and it was truly a 'wow, can't believe it' experience. 'Dream car' has always been something on the order of Ferrari or Lambo, but the 991 GT3 is pretty close, and at far lower cost, and I anticipate that I'd be happy with it (various standard gripes aside), and wouldn't be longing for anything else (and I'm by no means discontent with my 997.1 C2S). The RS will be more than I prefer to spend, but is an option because the base GT3 may effectively be sold out. And if a 997.2 RS falls into my lap at a good price, that would work too, it has its appeal compared to the 991 GT3. In short, I'm not a want-the-latest-and-greatest or first-guy-to-get-one sort of guy; just looking for something which may be a step up in intensity, fun, and speed compared to what I have (the C2S and Cayman R).
i do understand perfectly what you say. it is the same with me: i never thought i would spend so much money on a car as i did acquiring the fezza 458. and i even rationalized to myself (and others) that it was a sane economical decision!!!!
now that the purchase is done i still feel good about it (it did not shatter my economical livelihood) except that it still feels weird to drive around in something which is closer to a piece of modern art than to a road car. and it is a bit annoying to get photographed by passerbys al the time. in that sense the 991 GT3 is much more down to earth...with its ghetto-style rear wing which after all got to like....
my next car will be a GT3 RS or a GT3 991 gen 2. meanwhile enjoy the GT3.
peter
Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
i do understand perfectly what you say. it is the same with me: i never thought i would spend so much money on a car as i did acquiring the fezza 458. and i even rationalized to myself (and others) that it was a sane economical decision!!!!
now that the purchase is done i still feel good about it (it did not shatter my economical livelihood) except that it still feels weird to drive around in something which is closer to a piece of modern art than to a road car. and it is a bit annoying to get photographed by passerbys al the time. in that sense the 991 GT3 is much more down to earth...with its ghetto-style rear wing which after all got to like....
my next car will be a GT3 RS or a GT3 991 gen 2. meanwhile enjoy the GT3.
peter
After spending many years in a Ferrari I can relate to what you are experiencing. The attention at times can be a nuisance. It seems like there is always someone around the car while it is parked. Once while have a coffee I watch several people hovering around my 430 Spider. They were there for several minutes and when I came out they briefly engaged me in a discussion about the car and then they drove off. After they had left I noticed that all four of my Ferrari tire pressure caps were missing. They ripped them off right under my nose.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine - GT3 RS