Sponsored by:

FWIW, Prolly BS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Why would you say a Manual RS would be slower than a PDK GT3?

With more power and less weight and better aero (and wider track and wheels), I think a Manual RS (well driven) is going to be at least as fast as a GT3, and more fun by far (if true).
In the hands of a very good driver - yes. But AP made it clear during his video interview with EVO that the goal of adding driving aids to the new GT3 was to reduce the gap between a pro driver and an average Joe. Like it or not, PDK is one of the gizmos that further that goal. As already noted, it would be nice if they offered a choice.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is that to offer the mt they would also need to remove the electronic diff ( which was in an article) perhaps the RWS as well and who knows what else is tied into the system. Can not see them taking on the addition cost as they will sell all they can produce of both GT3 and RS. It is fun to bitch but will not change Porsches direction. It all started with the sun roof.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Why would you say a Manual RS would be slower than a PDK GT3?

With more power and less weight and better aero (and wider track and wheels), I think a Manual RS (well driven) is going to be at least as fast as a GT3, and more fun by far (if true).
I think its an open question that the RS will have more power... if its a TT/S tub that will add weight that will have to be removed elsewhere to get it significantly under the GT3 weight.

Can anyone remember the times for the 7.1 and 7.2 GT3 vs RS around the ring?

I believe I saw quoted the new car is about 15secs faster than the 7.2 most of which was attributed mostly (again as I recall) to the PDK + better handling ... I'm guessing a manual would pretty quickly eat into that 15 second advantage.

regardless, after reading AP's comments on the motivation for the PDK only in the GT3 I really dont see them reversing that for the RS ...

I personally expect the RS to resemble the GT3 in the same way the 7.1 cars did vs the 7.2 cars ...
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see them reversing course--would only prolong the controversy, IMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0Q991
I can't see them reversing course--would only prolong the controversy, IMO.
+1
Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
my guess is that to offer the mt they would also need to remove the electronic diff ( which was in an article) perhaps the RWS as well and who knows what else is tied into the system. Can not see them taking on the addition cost as they will sell all they can produce of both GT3 and RS. It is fun to bitch but will not change Porsches direction. It all started with the sun roof.
What do you mean bitching won't change their position? You mentioned the sunroof and I consider that a huge victory for the bitchers. Now no Porsche sports car has a standard sunroof (don't even have to delete it). I consider the LSD option that began with the 997.2 another big victory for bitching

BTW, adding a little hydraulic pump for the e-diff is no big deal (see BMW E46 and later M3 for example). RWS does not depend on hydraulic pressure - it's entirely mechanical with a threaded rod.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

What do you mean bitching won't change their position? You mentioned the sunroof and I consider that a huge victory for the bitchers. Now no Porsche sports car has a standard sunroof (don't even have to delete it). I consider the LSD option that began with the 997.2 another big victory for bitching

BTW, adding a little hydraulic pump for the e-diff is no big deal (see BMW E46 and later M3 for example). RWS does not depend on hydraulic pressure - it's entirely mechanical with a threaded rod.
+2!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+3

Quick Reply: FWIW, Prolly BS