Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Steel Brakes on your 991 GT3?
PCCBs, the car is for street driving only.
128
21.92%
PCCBs, and I'll track it that way too.
130
22.26%
PCCB, but buying steel rotors or system for track.
39
6.68%
Steel brakes, it's the way I roll.
287
49.14%
Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?

 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
  #61  
TrackDays247.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
TrackDays247.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 4,299
Default

The current gen of PCCB is much improved over the early years, but many still switch to steel for cars which see track use. We have all sets to accomplish this job, shoot an e-mail for information and pictures or whatever you'd like to discuss.
__________________
Craig
E-mail & phone: [email protected] 425-765-1090, Web site: www.Trackdays247.com -- - 15+ yrs / knowledgeable advice
TrackDays247.com is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
  #62  
ShakeNBake
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ShakeNBake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,166
Default

Originally Posted by reidry View Post
Keep in mind my dedicated track car is a Spec Miata which is pretty easy on brakes compared to a full interior Porsche. When alternating between the blue and amber fluid it is easy for me to tell when I have completely purged the line to a caliper.

The Castrol SRF product does have a slightly higher dry boiling point and a much higher wet boiling point. It is also more expensive. For the Miata I tend to over-service all the fluids so the wet boiling point doesn't come into play.

Here is a link to a comparison table containing wet and dry boilding points for a number of popular high performance brake fluids:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=BRAKEFLUID

Ryan
I've found Castrol SRF to be basically set and forget for 12 months at a time. The wet boiling point is key. Brake fluid starts absorbing moisture the moment you crack the bottle top. It used to have to bleed or flush Motul after every track event or the pedal would get mushy at the next event.

So while you may save money up front, you'll spend more long term flushing and bleeding.
ShakeNBake is offline  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
  #63  
911rox
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911rox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Regretfully not at a track... :(
Posts: 2,517
Default

Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
My experience has been similar. Stock rotors with holes crack too soon with heavy track use, so I switched to PFC dimpled floating rotors; they also eventually crack (crazing pattern), but last longer and are worth it. I use Prospeed RS683 brake fluid. But I wouldn't consider using stock pads, I use PFC track pads on both track and street; they have much better bite and last much longer than the stock pads.
Agree regarding use of more track focused pads. I've stuck with OEM because they are more comfy (noise) on the street and they work well enough on track. PFC08 or similar would be my next upgrade if current brake set up fades or becomes my limiting factor...

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake View Post
I've found Castrol SRF to be basically set and forget for 12 months at a time. The wet boiling point is key. Brake fluid starts absorbing moisture the moment you crack the bottle top. It used to have to bleed or flush Motul after every track event or the pedal would get mushy at the next event.

So while you may save money up front, you'll spend more long term flushing and bleeding.
This!!!!

I was skeptical because of the price but SRF is pretty much set and forget thanks to its crazy wet boiling point... I have managed to complete repeated one tank sessions without the brakes skipping a beat (running hour plus sessions till the fuel runs dry then refill and go again). Only bleed if pedal gets a little soft and that might be every 4-5 days if that...

Don't assume standard brakes aren't up to the task... They are fine! Fluid is only thing needing to be addressed. Then upgrade rotors and track pads as required to make them more cost effective (less cracking thus less rotor replacement)...
911rox is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
  #64  
Manifold
Super User
 
Manifold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Close enough to plenty of good tracks
Posts: 4,259
Default

Originally Posted by 911rox View Post
Agree regarding use of more track focused pads. I've stuck with OEM because they are more comfy (noise) on the street and they work well enough on track. PFC08 or similar would be my next upgrade if current brake set up fades or becomes my limiting factor...
The PFC 08 and 06 pads don't squeal much on the street if bedded properly, and their bite when cold is still better than the stock pads. So added benefit is not having to swap the pads for track vs street.
Manifold is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
  #65  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,126
Default

SRF and PFC.
I wonder if Porsche paid close enough attention to rennlist not only to change to PFC brakes but add SRF also LOL
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM
  #66  
Dr Mag !
New User
 
Dr Mag !'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Default Wheels

I would order PCCB because i like the yellow and the calipers come off the 918. i dont know if they will fit under a 19" wheel for track tires... anyone?
Dr Mag ! is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
  #67  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by Dr Mag ! View Post
I would order PCCB because i like the yellow and the calipers come off the 918. i dont know if they will fit under a 19" wheel for track tires... anyone?
I saw the PCCB's on a GT3 at Monterey. I was able to get my finger in between the nearest point of the caliper to the wheel but there wasn't a lot of room to spare. A 19" wheel would be close.
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 PM
  #68  
991GT3
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 195
Smile

PCCB's are IMO a lot of money for something that is already available on the car. Did not choose them because of that. My father has a 997 turbo and that car has PCCB's so I am aware of the stopping power. I am just not really convinced they are worth that kind of money. Are the steel brakes not good enough? I think they are just fine. Would even call them superb.
Just my thoughts. I can really imagine you want them if you want to have 'the best'. Also I did not want them because it would't match my red stitched interior
991GT3 is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
  #69  
mcsmcs1
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,075
Default

Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
PCCB's are IMO a lot of money for something that is already available on the car. Did not choose them because of that. My father has a 997 turbo and that car has PCCB's so I am aware of the stopping power. I am just not really convinced they are worth that kind of money. Are the steel brakes not good enough? I think they are just fine. Would even call them superb.
Just my thoughts. I can really imagine you want them if you want to have 'the best'. Also I did not want them because it would't match my red stitched interior
What he said^!
mcsmcs1 is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM
  #70  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,299
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
SRF and PFC.
I wonder if Porsche paid close enough attention to rennlist not only to change to PFC brakes but add SRF also LOL
Are there any disadvantages to switching to this brake fluid immediately upon car purchase? What is downside for daily use? Had no idea brake fluid made such a difference.. My track experience is with motorcycles where braking power is so abundant that I've never had to worry ab this.
CAlexio is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 AM
  #71  
911rox
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911rox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Regretfully not at a track... :(
Posts: 2,517
Default

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
Are there any disadvantages to switching to this brake fluid immediately upon car purchase? What is downside for daily use? Had no idea brake fluid made such a difference.. My track experience is with motorcycles where braking power is so abundant that I've never had to worry ab this.
No disadvantages with switching or for daily use. The pedal remains firm longer, less bleeding required and little chance of cooking SRF.... Only thing to keep in mind is that SRF requires a yearly flush, whereas OEM goes for 2 years albeit with many bleeds in between if tracked... If you won't be tracking, no need for SRF imo... The on track performance of SRF is light years ahead of OEM and many other fluids...
911rox is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM
  #72  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,647
Default

I just don't want to have to clean my wheels every 3 days because of dirt...and they look good...and they are decent for resale if the rest of the car is well equipped as well. If I was tracking it more, I'd probably still do the PCCBs and just do the steel swap for track days.
sechsgang is offline  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
  #73  
RoatanMan
User
 
RoatanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Default

I ordered the PCCB's. I like the feel, no brake dust and I love the looks. I would rather have these than other interior options that may add up to be the same price. To each his own I guess.
RoatanMan is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 AM
  #74  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,438
Default

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but for those who have the PCCBs, how are they on the streets? Are they too grabby? Thanks.
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
  #75  
Bacura
User
 
Bacura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,710
Default

Although not a GT3 I have PCCB and its my DD. I love them. No brake dust. I don't find them grabby at all. Great feel. I'm happy with my choice. I don't track my car so replacement rotors were not an issue.
Bacura is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: