Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Steel Brakes on your 991 GT3?
PCCBs, the car is for street driving only.
22.76%
PCCBs, and I'll track it that way too.
22.46%
PCCB, but buying steel rotors or system for track.
6.68%
Steel brakes, it's the way I roll.
48.10%
Voters: 659. You may not vote on this poll

PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The current gen of PCCB is much improved over the early years, but many still switch to steel for cars which see track use. We have all sets to accomplish this job, shoot an e-mail for information and pictures or whatever you'd like to discuss.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Keep in mind my dedicated track car is a Spec Miata which is pretty easy on brakes compared to a full interior Porsche. When alternating between the blue and amber fluid it is easy for me to tell when I have completely purged the line to a caliper.

The Castrol SRF product does have a slightly higher dry boiling point and a much higher wet boiling point. It is also more expensive. For the Miata I tend to over-service all the fluids so the wet boiling point doesn't come into play.

Here is a link to a comparison table containing wet and dry boilding points for a number of popular high performance brake fluids:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=BRAKEFLUID

Ryan
I've found Castrol SRF to be basically set and forget for 12 months at a time. The wet boiling point is key. Brake fluid starts absorbing moisture the moment you crack the bottle top. It used to have to bleed or flush Motul after every track event or the pedal would get mushy at the next event.

So while you may save money up front, you'll spend more long term flushing and bleeding.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My experience has been similar. Stock rotors with holes crack too soon with heavy track use, so I switched to PFC dimpled floating rotors; they also eventually crack (crazing pattern), but last longer and are worth it. I use Prospeed RS683 brake fluid. But I wouldn't consider using stock pads, I use PFC track pads on both track and street; they have much better bite and last much longer than the stock pads.
Agree regarding use of more track focused pads. I've stuck with OEM because they are more comfy (noise) on the street and they work well enough on track. PFC08 or similar would be my next upgrade if current brake set up fades or becomes my limiting factor...

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've found Castrol SRF to be basically set and forget for 12 months at a time. The wet boiling point is key. Brake fluid starts absorbing moisture the moment you crack the bottle top. It used to have to bleed or flush Motul after every track event or the pedal would get mushy at the next event.

So while you may save money up front, you'll spend more long term flushing and bleeding.
This!!!!

I was skeptical because of the price but SRF is pretty much set and forget thanks to its crazy wet boiling point... I have managed to complete repeated one tank sessions without the brakes skipping a beat (running hour plus sessions till the fuel runs dry then refill and go again). Only bleed if pedal gets a little soft and that might be every 4-5 days if that...

Don't assume standard brakes aren't up to the task... They are fine! Fluid is only thing needing to be addressed. Then upgrade rotors and track pads as required to make them more cost effective (less cracking thus less rotor replacement)...
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,729 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Agree regarding use of more track focused pads. I've stuck with OEM because they are more comfy (noise) on the street and they work well enough on track. PFC08 or similar would be my next upgrade if current brake set up fades or becomes my limiting factor...
The PFC 08 and 06 pads don't squeal much on the street if bedded properly, and their bite when cold is still better than the stock pads. So added benefit is not having to swap the pads for track vs street.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

SRF and PFC.
I wonder if Porsche paid close enough attention to rennlist not only to change to PFC brakes but add SRF also LOL
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Dr Mag !
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels

I would order PCCB because i like the yellow and the calipers come off the 918. i dont know if they will fit under a 19" wheel for track tires... anyone?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mag !
I would order PCCB because i like the yellow and the calipers come off the 918. i dont know if they will fit under a 19" wheel for track tires... anyone?
I saw the PCCB's on a GT3 at Monterey. I was able to get my finger in between the nearest point of the caliper to the wheel but there wasn't a lot of room to spare. A 19" wheel would be close.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Smile

PCCB's are IMO a lot of money for something that is already available on the car. Did not choose them because of that. My father has a 997 turbo and that car has PCCB's so I am aware of the stopping power. I am just not really convinced they are worth that kind of money. Are the steel brakes not good enough? I think they are just fine. Would even call them superb.
Just my thoughts. I can really imagine you want them if you want to have 'the best'. Also I did not want them because it would't match my red stitched interior
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 991GT3
PCCB's are IMO a lot of money for something that is already available on the car. Did not choose them because of that. My father has a 997 turbo and that car has PCCB's so I am aware of the stopping power. I am just not really convinced they are worth that kind of money. Are the steel brakes not good enough? I think they are just fine. Would even call them superb.
Just my thoughts. I can really imagine you want them if you want to have 'the best'. Also I did not want them because it would't match my red stitched interior
What he said^!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
SRF and PFC.
I wonder if Porsche paid close enough attention to rennlist not only to change to PFC brakes but add SRF also LOL
Are there any disadvantages to switching to this brake fluid immediately upon car purchase? What is downside for daily use? Had no idea brake fluid made such a difference.. My track experience is with motorcycles where braking power is so abundant that I've never had to worry ab this.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Are there any disadvantages to switching to this brake fluid immediately upon car purchase? What is downside for daily use? Had no idea brake fluid made such a difference.. My track experience is with motorcycles where braking power is so abundant that I've never had to worry ab this.
No disadvantages with switching or for daily use. The pedal remains firm longer, less bleeding required and little chance of cooking SRF.... Only thing to keep in mind is that SRF requires a yearly flush, whereas OEM goes for 2 years albeit with many bleeds in between if tracked... If you won't be tracking, no need for SRF imo... The on track performance of SRF is light years ahead of OEM and many other fluids...
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I just don't want to have to clean my wheels every 3 days because of dirt...and they look good...and they are decent for resale if the rest of the car is well equipped as well. If I was tracking it more, I'd probably still do the PCCBs and just do the steel swap for track days.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
RoatanMan
AutoX

I ordered the PCCB's. I like the feel, no brake dust and I love the looks. I would rather have these than other interior options that may add up to be the same price. To each his own I guess.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but for those who have the PCCBs, how are they on the streets? Are they too grabby? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Although not a GT3 I have PCCB and its my DD. I love them. No brake dust. I don't find them grabby at all. Great feel. I'm happy with my choice. I don't track my car so replacement rotors were not an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB or Steel on your 991 GT3?