Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Since when are Porsche's exciting at regular speeds? All the ones I have owned required being near the limit to get the excitement out of the car.
I completely agree. I spent 2 days driving my GT3 in traffic and nearly posted the damn thing for sale!

A few empty high speed freeway on-ramps later....all good.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I took a 997 GT3 for a test drive in traffic. Couldn't believe how stiff the clutch is on these cars. I swear its wasn't like that on my 6 GT3 or 993RS. I couldn't daily drive it in the city. Open the taps on a clear bit of road and its all different...
Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing some leg presses and barbell squats won't fix fellas

Not great in traffic congestion where one is crawling but fine in stop start traffic for me...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Very balanced article.

While a 458 killer, some of the appeal is gone due to the techno wizardry.

The thing that concerns me most is the stated lack of engagement at sane speeds.
From reading the reviews, I more and more get the idea that the 991GT3 is a 458 Junior and a ridiculously awesome one at that - 95% of performance and probably even faster around a track for what? half the cost? - than being in the vain of previous GT3s.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
From reading the reviews, I more and more get the idea that the 991GT3 is a 458 Junior and a ridiculously awesome one at that - 95% of performance and probably even faster around a track for what? half the cost? - than being in the vain of previous GT3s.
I agree. I'll still say that the 911 ended with the 997, and the GT3 ended with the 997 GT3, crowned by the 4.0. We're in a new era now, for better and worse. Maybe comparison with the cars of the previous era is largely a waste of time, since Porsche has decisively moved on. Some of us will embrace the new ethos thankfully, others will warm to it gradually, and others will continue to reject it and lament. All are valid responses. Best solution, if feasible, may be to have multiple cars, since there are always tradeoffs and no car can be optimal on every criterion.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I agree. I'll still say that the 911 ended with the 997, and the GT3 ended with the 997 GT3, crowned by the 4.0. We're in a new era now, for better and worse. Maybe comparison with the cars of the previous era is largely a waste of time, since Porsche has decisively moved on. Some of us will embrace the new ethos thankfully, others will warm to it gradually, and others will continue to reject it and lament. All are valid responses. Best solution, if feasible, may be to have multiple cars, since there are always tradeoffs and no car can be optimal on every criterion.
^ +1.

Re: the clutch pedal responses above. Some of you boys need to get to the gym.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I tend to agree. I think cars are stratified by generations. I still have a warm place for the feel of mid 90s cars, including my 994 Turbo 3.6, and my E36 M3 ltw, both of which I own. I went to drive a Aston Martin Vantage a few months ago and was driving my turbo to the dealer. I felt the Vantage was like a lincoln town car relative to the turbo. But in the bigger picture of cars available today, it's actually somewhat 'sporty.'
Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I guess I must be too easy. I've been engaged driving all of my Porsches, even including my Cayenne S which is a KITA. Heck, I even enjoy climbing into my wife's torquey little diesel A3 TDI. As I've said before I drove MT's for decades, but there are so many things that I love about driving, and always have, that go way beyond just rowing a stick.

Honestly, not to step on anyone's toes, but the idea that someone thinks they might possibly be bored driving the 991 GT3 that I've seen being flogged in the various videos that are out there, even in a daily drive on the street, just blows me away. Some of you must be impossibly hard to please!
The best way to avoid boredom is to paddle shift the PDK, and not keep it in auto mode. By doing so, I control the shift points, both up and down, just like a manual. If I feel like letting the engine rev to 7000 rpm in first gear, I can do it. If I want to down shift from third to second, when doing so will cause the engine to rev at 7500 rpm, I can do so.

I do agree 100% that people talking about being bored with GT3s and Ferraris to be comical at best. These are classic first World, top 0.1% problems.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The best way to avoid boredom is to paddle shift the PDK, and not keep it in auto mode. By doing so, I control the shift points, both up and down, just like a manual. If I feel like letting the engine rev to 7000 rpm in first gear, I can do it. If I want to down shift from third to second, when doing so will cause the engine to rev at 7500 rpm, I can do so.

I do agree 100% that people talking about being bored with GT3s and Ferraris to be comical at best. These are classic first World, top 0.1% problems.
+1000.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the normal page link:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rsche_911_gt3/

MPSC2 tires. Sport Cup 2. Others where Dunlops.
Those calipers are straight off a freight train (or Panamera Turbo ... ? ... same same)

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
I took a 997 GT3 for a test drive in traffic. Couldn't believe how stiff the clutch is on these cars. I swear its wasn't like that on my 6 GT3 or 993RS. I couldn't daily drive it in the city. Open the taps on a clear bit of road and its all different...
come on....yes the clutch is difficult...but even my girlfriend can drive this car..she said that the clutch is difficult but managble..and she is aroung 50Kgs..if she can do that you should be able do that as well..

PS: she doesnt like PdK boxes either..she ordered her audi on purpose with manual...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Yes..I fully agree that the 991 GT3 is a performance bargain..while the 991S is a completely overpriced piece of..

458 Killer: remains to be seen, GT2RS can kill a 458..but its a slow death for the 458..and I cant believe that the 991 GT3 will destroy a 458 after 1 lap by huge distances...dont forget it still has 100HP more...a bit more weight ..but still..

Sport Auto will give us the answer..and also whether the 991 GT3 will use tires that will collapse during wet conditions...as was already the case with the 991S; 997.2 GT3RS...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
come on....yes the clutch is difficult...but even my girlfriend can drive this car..she said that the clutch is difficult but managble..and she is aroung 50Kgs..if she can do that you should be able do that as well..

PS: she doesnt like PdK boxes either..she ordered her audi on purpose with manual...
Maybe I just had a bad one. It reminded me of driving my old Audi RS2 in traffic...wasnt so much the pressure more the modulation in constant 1/2 gear changes that was a PITA.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Yes..I fully agree that the 991 GT3 is a performance bargain..while the 991S is a completely overpriced piece of..

458 Killer: remains to be seen, GT2RS can kill a 458..but its a slow death for the 458..and I cant believe that the 991 GT3 will destroy a 458 after 1 lap by huge distances...dont forget it still has 100HP more...a bit more weight ..but still..

Sport Auto will give us the answer..and also whether the 991 GT3 will use tires that will collapse during wet conditions...as was already the case with the 991S; 997.2 GT3RS...
Im doing Euro pick up end of Nov so Ill beable to tell you quite quickly about the tyres in the wet! The new Dunlops and MPSC2 have many deep radial grooves compared to the old MPSC tyres so its looking better in that regard. One of the recent reviews talks about an experience in the rain overtaking a hooted up Audi at 130mph so that sounded a little more promising than the older tyres although standing water will always be an issue with tyres running these depths...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

The Dunlop tires are fine in the rain as long as they have tread depth. Does anyone know if the MSPC2 is available in the US yet? Tire Rack doesn't have them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine