Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Road & Track

Link to article posted today:

http://http://www.roadandtrack.com/c...ad-test-review
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Couldn't get your link to work. In case anyone else has the same problem, this one does.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ad-test-review
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Thanks, Mike! First time posting link...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 PM
0Q991
Drifting

IMO, the most in-depth article so far.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No problem OQ991. Glad you picked up on the article!

Speaking of which, ho-hum, another fantastic review. I agree with you, it had some details that I hadn't seen before. And some of my favorite quotes:

"Other cars are this capable. None may be this much fun. And likewise, there may be no other production car that simultaneously makes you feel so omnipotent at the wheel without being so “digital” as to remove driver skill from the equation entirely".

"Porsche has tested over 1,000 full-throttle launch control starts in a row without (PDK) failure. They’ve actually gone well beyond this point".

"Ferraris sound pretty. The GT3 sounds menacing and awesome".

"Porsche says worldwide demand for this car is beyond production capacity already. Even though it doesn’t exist yet".

"From cockpit to transmission to outstanding engine and yet more spectacular brakes, in every regard this is an incredible piece of machinery. Maybe the best Porsche road car in the company’s history. If you can afford one, we’d suggest buying one to find out".
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

So PSE in sport actually increases peak torque? Is that right? Don't recall seeing that before. I still don't want PCCBs. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@zedcat -- Googling for new articles daily finally resulted in something!

@Mike in CA -- Agreed! I never knew about the launch control testing till now, for one. I'm hoping for some more in depth tests in the coming weeks and months.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article and another glowing review, which I bet all of them will be. I can't wait to get mine Q1 2014
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
So PSE in sport actually increases peak torque? Is that right? Don't recall seeing that before. I still don't want PCCBs. Thanks for posting the link.
same as the previous car, yes.

thanks for posting mike!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I really enjoyed that article, well written and tossed in a few new tidbits we hadn't heard before !

I question the statement that PCCBs are a must have option. I've got the Brembo/Chevrolet version on my ZR1 and while I agree they are incredibly capable and, as R&T states, confidence inspiring - I don't think the cost / benefit is really there for a car that will see even modest track time.

I think the cost equation for the cost of replacing one corner of PCCBs (1 rotor and a set of pads), one can replace all 4 corners (4 rotors, 4 sets of pads). Unfortunately at the end of my track weekends I don't get to drop the car to the Porsche media tent for service.

I guess I could buy the PCCBs and swap to steels for tracking, but that seems like a lot of trouble. So if you're going to a track day or two a year PCCBs could be ok, but more than that I'd stick to steel.

Ryan
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gosh. It looks like Road & Track like it. There were a few new items in there for most of us. also a few in the articles that featured earlier this week. these include-

The engine will only rev to 4300 rpm before cut off in park mode
The DFI injection system differs substantially in line rail pressure and multi pintel injector design form the 991S
The car has been well tested for full launch dropped clutch
Up to 26lbft torque is added a certain parts of the rev range with the exhaust bypass button on

I guess the news that was less surprising was that the 991 GT3 is effectively "sold out" world wide. I believe this is creating some noise now through the motoring press and I suspect a few will use it as a catch cry in Aug/Sept articles on the car.

This writer was the second to call the car perhaps the greatest road 911 yet built......I guess it will be interesting to find first hand in 5 months time...
Old 07-27-2013, 03:14 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

The new shell is 13% lighter than the outgoing shell...

The new motor is 55 lbs lighter....

Can you imagine
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Few motorcycles feel this free to rev. But the flip side is that this motor wants to rev. At idle it’s gruff and a little cranky, like a bulldog straining at its leash. Past 911 motors have sounded cleaner, more placid in traffic.

But this engine wasn’t built for traffic.

Bang into the gas, let the beast roar, and its true demeanor cooks through to the surface. If you’re a bystander as the GT3 goes by at full tilt, you feel it in your bones. Feet vibrate on the sidewalk. Heads turn to see what’s coming as the throaty rasp clangs off concrete buildings. Children stand by, gobsmacked. Their parents stare, slackjawed.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

No doubt remaining in my mind that the car is great. PDK might even be acceptable. I'm OK with RWS, it makes some sense. But still need to hear reviews based on tracking it by capable drivers. And still need to see the car's track durability, which will take time. Can probably live with the 20" wheels, since the Dunlop tires are pretty good, though I'm only getting 10 to 15 days out of them. CLs aren't my preference, but I can deal with them. I assume that bucket seats will be coming to the US soon, but still pissed that they weren't available from the outset. Biggest issue now may be getting the car; I'm #2 on my dealer's list, but he's only been promised one car so far and I haven't put down a deposit yet. I don't get it, spend much time and $$ designing and testing the car, but then don't produce enough to meet demand?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice review.
I kinda want production levels to be low.

Quick Reply: Road & Track