Sponsored by:

TopGear First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default TopGear First Drive

Some good/new comments in here. 'That new engine has a top end of such demented savagery that it's enough to put the GT3 in a supercar class...'

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...mpaign=ongoing
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny he didn't think the C7 was a rival, because Chevy sure aimed at the 911 as the major competition.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

TrackFan----I am a huge Vette guy too but you are missing out. Your choice but there will be many chances to get a C7. Especially since i am not buying one because the rear styling sucks big time. Just aweful the styling by committee and still no DCT for me. Have fun
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
It's funny he didn't think the C7 was a rival, because Chevy sure aimed at the 911 as the major competition.
It's a European perspective. If you watch Top Gear you know that while they are sometimes impressed with American performance value, other issues often knock our cars down several pegs.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Dude-
Pro

991 3Turbo, same here buddy. The rear of a C7 is disgusting. Been a fan and owner of a few vettes for 20 years but had to end that relationship. Folks on this forum who wish for MT is like die hard vette fans hoping they would change the rear end. Its not happening.

TrackFan, the C7 Stingray is aimed at the 911 carrera but not to a GT3. To me the GT3 and ZR1 is more of a comparison in terms of prestige, performance, fit and finish. Some may argue GT3 vs C7 Zo6 and GT3RS vs ZR1. I still think GT3 vs ZR1 is more like it.

Last edited by Dude-; 07-24-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's a European perspective. If you watch Top Gear you know that while they are sometimes impressed with American performance value, other issues often knock our cars down several pegs.
Is the new C7 even available (now or in the future) in Europe?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
TrackFan----I am a huge Vette guy too but you are missing out. Your choice but there will be many chances to get a C7. Especially since i am not buying one because the rear styling sucks big time. Just aweful the styling by committee and still no DCT for me. Have fun
<expletives deleted> you are NOT kidding either ... have they caught the designer of that back end ... or are they still "on the lam"???

there are laws of man and god that have been violated ... I almost vomited over my computer screen!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Is the new C7 even available (now or in the future) in Europe?
Corvettes are available in Europe and Top Gear has tested them so I'm guessing the new C7 will be available too. Certainly TG knows about the C7 and since it's coming out at about the same time as the GT3 you'd think they might mention it if they thought it was significant, which was kind of my point; from their Euro perspective they don't generally think American cars are.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
991 3Turbo, same here buddy. The rear of a C7 is disgusting. Been a fan and owner of a few vettes for 20 years but had to end that relationship. Folks on this forum who wish for at MT is like vette fans like us hoping they would change the rear. Its not happening.

TrackFan, the C7 Stingray is aimed at the 911 carrera but not to a GT3. To me the GT3 and ZR1 is more of a comparison in terms of prestige, performance, fit and finish. Some may argue GT3 vs C7 Zo6 and GT3RS vs ZR1. I still think GT3 vs ZR1 is more like it.
Yeah C7 is more of a comparison with the Carrera. However I don't think it's in the same league to be compare with the ZR1. The Porsche's will have better interiors, that's a given. But the forced induction, heavier weight, more GT'ish styling and performance is more of a GT2 competitor.

The NA Z06 is more of the track car like the GT3 is/was. However if performance wise the C7 stingray can keep up with the GT3, that's a huge problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
<expletives deleted> you are NOT kidding either ... have they caught the designer of that back end ... or are they still "on the lam"???

there are laws of man and god that have been violated ... I almost vomited over my computer screen!

My current car is a 2010 ZR1 and the rear profile is good, similar to the C6R.

GM had already revealed the Corvette inspired Daytona Prototype and it was so good, I had great hopes for the C7. During the reveal the front and side profiles looked so good - obviously fiat inspired. Then around the back end ... it was like the design team ran out of money late one night and a Camaro pulled into the shop.

"Hey, I know ! ... get the bumper off that Camaro."

if only they'd taken the taillights from the Daytona Prototype.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Maybe I read the wrong article bc I'm not sure why we are talking vettes? The way I read the 'rivals' paragraph, the underlying theme is that the new 3 offers supercar levels of involvement. Vettes offer supercar levels of performance, but not supercar levels of driving experience/involvement. Shrug.

Anyway, I thought that article was fantastic b/c it added some much needed insight and critical evaluation to the other reviews posted so far that just state 'it's fabulous'. The comment about the slight lag in steering is interesting. Bringing the steering feel in line with suspension feel is equallly interesting.

And, like the 458, the author states that the PDK/engine combo was simply meant to be and the transmission fits the character of the car, while acknowledging that the game has shifted a bit from driver involvement to outright pace and speed. But by the same token:

"All I can tell you with any authority is that it's a genuinely awesome road car, full of feel and demanding of commitment to drive fast.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the new C7 rear. Doesn't at all look like a Camaro but then again, I also like the Camaro rear end. Both are much better looking then a C5.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Dude-
Pro

I'm getting really excited knowing that I will be driving a car praised by all reviewers so far and is an absolute bargain in my opinion. Win win
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
I'm getting really excited knowing that I will be driving a car praised by all reviewers so far and is an absolute bargain in my opinion. Win win
+1
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
Anyway, I thought that article was fantastic b/c it added some much needed insight and critical evaluation to the other reviews posted so far that just state 'it's fabulous'. The comment about the slight lag in steering is interesting. Bringing the steering feel in line with suspension feel is equallly interesting.
I also found that lag comment interesting. There was the C&D review where they said that the car seemed to rotate around a central point at parking speeds because of RWS, but no one else has mentioned lag and most reviewers including CH and R&T have said emphatically RWS is completely transparent.

I wonder whether, human nature being what it is, the TG guy would have actually "noticed" anything different at all specific to RWS if he hadn't known the car was equipped with it. We'll never know. Looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

Quick Reply: TopGear First Drive