Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TopGear First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I think much of the controversy lies in the name. If they had called this car the Carrera GTS, no one would bat an eye. The car would get all the praise it deserves. However, in the past, the GT3 name was reserved for cars with a race-proven engine, etc. This car is not.

The article sums it up best here: "All I can tell you with any authority is that it's a genuinely awesome road car, full of feel and demanding of commitment to drive fast."

That describes an amazing car. However, it does not describe a GT3. There are many other 'awesome road cars' available.

FWIW - I'm on a list for one and still undecided.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep in mind that it will still be 6 months before a car is in the hands of any owner here in the US and a year before they are here in any kind of numbers. By then, we will see the new motor in a GT race car. Mark my words....

Edit: One more thing. GT is a series based on street cars. Given that Porsche is in a transition period, saying goodbye to the Mezger and hello to a new DFI racing motor, they couldn't very well race it without homologating it first in cars the public can buy. This was a chicken/egg proposition and in this case the egg came first; we get to buy the engine in a car before it's raced and Porsche execs said as much (wish I could find the damn quote). The "proven" part hasn't happened yet, but I think the concern is overblown. Porsche has a pretty good track record building successful racing motors.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Carrera RS is the best name I've heard for it so far. I agree that it would likely make an awesome Carrera RS. And like you, I'm on a list but undecided.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@neanicu -- Maybe you're right--didn't mean to be defensive. I think that being a newbie, I just had no idea how sacred certain hallmarks of the GT cars (Mezger, stick, hydraulic steering, weight) were to longtime drivers / owners of previous PCars.
The thing is many of the critics were or still are on the list.
Personally,I was about to order a 991S but postponed to see what's happening with the new GT3,because the rumors were encouraging,except the transmission. So I got on the list,number 4 in line,which I gave up 5 min after specs were announced here. Why keep a spot for something I'm not interested in and not let someone else enjoy it.
For now I'm hanging onto my TT,unless the right 7.2 GT3/RS comes along...or maybe a 7.2 TT/ 7.1 GT2.
So critics are not trolls,just in case you thought that...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Keep in mind that it will still be 6 months before a car is in the hands of any owner here in the US and a year before they are here in any kind of numbers. By then, we will see the new motor in a GT race car. Mark my words....
Mike, I don't know about you, but I don't give rat's a** that the engine is not currently in a race car. 9000 RPM, 125 hp/ltr, and glowing reports from all the pundits is enough for me. Further, I have a 9a1 in my 991S and have thrashed it around the track without a whimper. What more do I need to know?

BTW, if it's going to be six months more, my dealer is telling me a tall story
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by tmg57
Mike, I don't know about you, but I don't give rat's a** that the engine is not currently in a race car. 9000 RPM, 125 hp/ltr, and glowing reports from all the pundits is enough for me. Further, I have a 9a1 in my 991S and have thrashed it around the track without a whimper. What more do I need to know?

BTW, if it's going to be six months more, my dealer is telling me a tall story
tmg57, I'm not worried about it either, but some folks are.

As for the 6 months, the earliest builds for the US are in November, AFAIK, and are scheduled for delivery at the end of December/early January. ROW builds are supposedly starting earlier. Is your dealer saying something different or are you not in the US?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, there's a notable difference b/t critics v. the trolls. The latter whine incessantly about their plight wrt to the GT3 and tend to launch personal attacks.

I fall into the disappointed by lack of MT since I've never liked any dual clutch trans I've tried, but have confidence that the new car as whole will be very compelling. In a way like the 458 doesn't suck.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Nick, there's a notable difference b/t critics v. the trolls. The latter whine incessantly about their plight wrt to the GT3 and tend to launch personal attacks.

I fall into the disappointed by lack of MT since I've never liked any dual clutch trans I've tried, but have confidence that the new car as whole will be very compelling. In a way like the 458 doesn't suck.
I tend to fall into the whining category sometimes,I admit
For sure it's not going to suck,as a matter of fact I think it will provide a great experience...and in the end that's all that matters.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I tend to fall into the whining category sometimes,I admit
For sure it's not going to suck,as a matter of fact I think it will provide a great experience...and in the end that's all that matters.
Well said!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
tmg57
Racer

tmg57, I'm not worried about it either, but some folks are.

As for the 6 months, the earliest builds for the US are in November, AFAIK, and are scheduled for delivery at the end of December/early January. ROW builds are supposedly starting earlier. Is your dealer saying something different or are you not in the US?
Mike, when he called with the slot he said October build, November delivery (East Coast). When I firmed up my order, I didn't ask for confirmation of that schedule, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll check with him and let you know.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, when he called with the slot he said October build, November delivery (East Coast). When I firmed up my order, I didn't ask for confirmation of that schedule, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll check with him and let you know.
Cool, that would be very interesting to know.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Im really iching to take one of these cars out and bang through the paddles at redline to see how it feels and sounds!

I may just be a 991RS buyer yet..... Keepin my 997RS however!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
tmg57
Racer

Cool, that would be very interesting to know.
Your info appears correct. Dealer advised mid December delivery. Just in time for Christmas!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Your info appears correct. Dealer advised mid December delivery. Just in time for Christmas!

Just FYI, your sales rep should be able to provide you with a schedule which shows approximate build, enter and exit port, arrival, and dealer inventory dates. It looks like the one posted at the beginning of this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...er-thread.html
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
tmg57
Racer

Just FYI, your sales rep should be able to provide you with a schedule which shows approximate build, enter and exit port, arrival, and dealer inventory dates. It looks like the one posted at the beginning of this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...er-thread.html
I didn't get that must detail, just a screenshot from the Porsche Sales & Vehicle Management System showing the estimated delivery date 12/13, and the change freeze point 9/20.

Quick Reply: TopGear First Drive