Sponsored by:

TopGear First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I also found that lag comment interesting. There was the C&D review where they said that the car seemed to rotate around a central point at parking speeds because of RWS, but no one else has mentioned lag and most reviewers including CH and R&T have said emphatically RWS is completely transparent.

I wonder whether, human nature being what it is, the TG guy would have actually "noticed" anything different at all specific to RWS if he hadn't known the car was equipped with it. We'll never know. Looking forward to experiencing it for myself.
Mike, you hit the nail on the head. I am confident that his mind was looking for the affect of the RWS. Also, he is not the first reviewer to place the 991GT3 in the class of the 458, MP12 and conclude for the money it is the best sport car available. That said, my concern is Porsche will raise its price before we are able to take delivery.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vettes arent quite the value over there as they are here.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
'That new engine has a top end of such demented savagery that it's enough to put the GT3 in a supercar class...'
In my eyes, the GT3 has always been in the supercar class for experience, drive and performance... Fiats and Lambos twice it's price have only ever managed to match it in performance. Certainly no paradigm shift with the latest GT3 to elevate it into such a class now IMO...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM
luffe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Some good/new comments in here. 'That new engine has a top end of such demented savagery that it's enough to put the GT3 in a supercar class...'

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/p...mpaign=ongoing
I think that's a really pretentious statement. The GT3 is supposed to be a street legal cup car, not a supercar. Supercars are flamboyant ego-boosters that break down after 10 laps - built for boulevard cruising.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
TrackFan----I am a huge Vette guy too but you are missing out. Your choice but there will be many chances to get a C7. Especially since i am not buying one because the rear styling sucks big time. Just aweful the styling by committee and still no DCT for me. Have fun
I suspect Chevy is too Scared to put that much power through a DCT, say a DCT that is available to buy instead of making, without making it explode. Hence like all the poor bastards who bought Nissan Skylines that weren't covered and had to pay over $25?k to replace.

Not that the stock power of the new C7 would kill an off the shelf DCT but when someone who starts modifying the trannys just watch out.

With these engines its not the BHP, its the Torque that will destroy everything.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I suspect Chevy is too Scared to put that much power through a DCT, say a DCT that is available to buy instead of making, without making it explode. Hence like all the poor bastards who bought Nissan Skylines that weren't covered and had to pay over $25?k to replace.

Not that the stock power of the new C7 would kill an off the shelf DCT but when someone who starts modifying the trannys just watch out.

With these engines its not the BHP, its the Torque that will destroy everything.
LOL. Interesting comment but lets keep it consistent.
GT-R transmissions are built to last, out of the box. The breakage that people "read" about are from those that build significant high hp motors without upgrading their transmissions. And in many cases, Nissan warrantied coverage even though owners altered their stock ECU maps with tunes.
If I wanted to get more power out of the 996/997 turbo then one must assume potential failures in drivetrain, clutch, gearing, and internals. No different with Porsches.
As for the C7, keeping the C7 at Corvette "price point" gives no room for a DCT. If it was an option in the Z06/ZR1 then watch out (and I'm a player for one). And from early indications, the base C7 does just fine around a lap out of the box.

Consistency is stock vehicles; whether Porsche, Nissan, or Chevy. If you build, do it right, do it all stress points, and expect **** to break as part of the fun.

My GT3 will stay stock except for tires and wheels for track use; wished TG had some time to share their opinions on the track.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

Mike, I agree. I think the review echoes what I've been thinking all along: while some things are lost, other things are gained and judging the vehicle as a whole, it will be spectacular.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
It's funny he didn't think the C7 was a rival, because Chevy sure aimed at the 911 as the major competition.
I loved my C5. One of the last C5's that John Lingenfelter did his magic on before the disaster. 450 bhp/450 lbs torque. Fikse rims, Z06 brakes and suspension pieces, etc. Did all the work I could myself because I LOVED that Corvette.

But, once i got in and under a 911... it was a thunderbolt epiphany.

There is NO comparison between my beloved Corvette and a 911.

I want there to be, I really, really do, but on a non-emotive, purely rational analysis... there is NO comparison.

911 is orders of magnitude ahead.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it interesting how polarizing the new GT3 is. If you look at all the threads (in the 991 GT3 board and not the 997 GT board, mind you!), I wonder (but won't waste time to actually count...) how many posts are from confirmed / potential buyers and how many are from people who have criticized the car from the beginning because a stick isn't an option? I'm willing to venture a guess that it would be either even or more in favor (by sheer volume) of those who have been bashing the car. Moreover, the bashing isn't simply about Porsche's decision to not offer a stick--some are veiled judgments and some are outright attacks against those of us who are fine with the fact that the car is PDK only.

Is it as "pure" an experience? No, it's not. But is it still one that some choose to have? Yes, it is. Since the experience isn't for some folks out there, vote with your pocketbook, as it has been said, and enjoy the thrilling machines that the previous GT are or perhaps an upcoming "Cayman R" with a stick may be.

Perhaps RL should split the 991 GT3 forum into one in favor of and one opposed to. That way, those of us (myself included) who are excited about the new tech and (and yes, "different") driving experience of the new GT3 have a home and those who rightfully would like to voice their opinions and dissent with regards to VW / Porsche and their business model decisions also have a home.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
I find it interesting how polarizing the new GT3 is. If you look at all the threads (in the 991 GT3 board and not the 997 GT board, mind you!), I wonder (but won't waste time to actually count...) how many posts are from confirmed / potential buyers and how many are from people who have criticized the car from the beginning because a stick isn't an option? I'm willing to venture a guess that it would be either even or more in favor (by sheer volume) of those who have been bashing the car. Moreover, the bashing isn't simply about Porsche's decision to not offer a stick--some are veiled judgments and some are outright attacks against those of us who are fine with the fact that the car is PDK only.

Is it as "pure" an experience? No, it's not. But is it still one that some choose to have? Yes, it is. Since the experience isn't for some folks out there, vote with your pocketbook, as it has been said, and enjoy the thrilling machines that the previous GT are or perhaps an upcoming "Cayman R" with a stick may be.

Perhaps RL should split the 991 GT3 forum into one in favor of and one opposed to. That way, those of us (myself included) who are excited about the new tech and (and yes, "different") driving experience of the new GT3 have a home and those who rightfully would like to voice their opinions and dissent with regards to VW / Porsche and their business model decisions also have a home.
You make some great points, OQ991. Personally, though, I wouldn't want to see the forum split. It can be exasperating sometimes, but the interaction is healthy and spirited and in a way I'd hate to see the 991 GT3 singled out; no other model has separate forums and there have certainly been others in the past that were introduced to great controversy.

Over time the polarization will fade, the car will prove itself to be worthy, and even the critics will have to grudgingly give it credit. Just my $.02.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I still haven't decided whether to buy the car, so I want to hear info and opinions from all sides. Let's not get so bent out of shape, it's just a car!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@Mike in CA -- I totally agree with you. Honestly, the splitting of the forums was said mainly in jest. I'm new to PCars and to RL, so I was a bit surprised to see the controversy which (again, VERY understandably) surrounds what Porsche has decided to do with the 991 GT3 spill over onto and between those who are fans and potential owners of the new car versus those who are not.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

This is an open forum my friend.
No need to get defensive if you can take the heat.
The finest things get criticized,the GT3 is no exception.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

@Mike in CA -- I totally agree with you. Honestly, the splitting of the forums was said mainly in jest. I'm new to PCars and to RL, so I was a bit surprised to see the controversy which (again, VERY understandably) surrounds what Porsche has decided to do with the 991 GT3 spill over onto and between those who are fans and potential owners of the new car versus those who are not.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
0Q991
Drifting

@neanicu -- Maybe you're right--didn't mean to be defensive. I think that being a newbie, I just had no idea how sacred certain hallmarks of the GT cars (Mezger, stick, hydraulic steering, weight) were to longtime drivers / owners of previous PCars.

Quick Reply: TopGear First Drive