Sponsored by:

Car and Driver First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
a couple of people have vigorously defended this car and Porsche's decisions from day 1 - - I think those are the people that get labeled as kool-aid guys.

They have no way of knowing the car is good - -just the same as the people complaining have no way of knowing the car isn't good
I think the discussion shouldn't be about who's who,we all share the same passion here.
Also,I wouldn't even think of mentioning anything as to why a certain someone decided what to do with their money,that is their business and their business only.
My mere mention of the Kool-Aid was a general statement about blindly defending Porsche's decisions and tagging the critics as closed minded and being part of the " Manual Taliban ".
I certainly and seriously hope that when owners reviews start coming in,they won't be affected by the same Kool-Aid reasoning we're seeing now.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally, the shifting speed of the PDK-S in Sport Mode: 100ms.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
a couple of people have vigorously defended this car and Porsche's decisions from day 1 - - I think those are the people that get labeled as kool-aid guys.

They have no way of knowing the car is good - -just the same as the people complaining have no way of knowing the car isn't good
People who defended the car consistently said that while the car looked great on paper, it was impossible to decide whether the car would be good or bad until it had been tested and driven. You remember the old "shut up and drive" discussion....

People who knocked the car did so even though they had no experience with it and no feedback from any independent reviewers.

Now that reviews and independent assessments are coming in, which position is being proven right?

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think the discussion shouldn't be about who's who,we all share the same passion here.
Also,I wouldn't even think of mentioning anything as to why a certain someone decided what to do with their money,that is their business and their business only.
My mere mention of the Kool-Aid was a general statement about blindly defending Porsche's decisions and tagging the critics as closed minded and being part of the " Manual Taliban ".
I certainly and seriously hope that when owners reviews start coming in,they won't be affected by the same Kool-Aid reasoning we're seeing now.
Appreciate your POV, Nick, but at this point I don't think anyone is "blindly" doing anything. There's plenty of hard information out there now, and more to come.

As to owner's reviews, I seriously doubt that most critics will believe their feedback any more than they do CH's, Suttcliff's, Evo's, Car & Driver's, or that of any other review we've seen. Owners will simply be accused, as Macca so succinctly put it, of swallowing the "happy pill" and trying to justify their purchase. Referring to your own comment, who gets to decide whether owners are being "affected by the same Kool-Aid reasoning we're seeing now"? That's a setup for criticism for anyone who buys the car and then has positive things to say about it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Wasn't referring to him. He was probably saying that as a generalized statement for "most" drivers.
He was driving the car in auto mode, I asked him how come? And his answer was because it is faster.

On a side note, also in the video of Timo Kluck doing the 7.37 around the Nordschleife, he has the car in auto.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Referring to your own comment, who gets to decide whether owners are being "affected by the same Kool-Aid reasoning we're seeing now"? That's a setup for criticism for anyone who buys the car and then has positive things to say about it.
Mike,I'm not in the position of criticizing anyone about their decision.
You have my word I will remain open minded about this car and I won't take owners positive reviews as ways to justify their purchase. I am looking forward to those reviews and I'll know at that point to differentiate a precise review from the rest.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Over on the Uk/Europe boards they are joking the US boards for being the "MT Taliban" on the issue. maybe its an age/experience thing. Who knows.
In the UK, most cheap cars are manual, you pay more for DCT (which is not an auto/slushbox). Old people like manuals because that's what they grew old with. They are most common on cheap small cars, the sort that old ladies drive to the supermarket. For the average Joe, there is nothing cool/macho/sporty about a manual, its just a cheaper, slower option.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
DCT (which is not an auto/slushbox).
It's not a slushbox. It is an automatic.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike,I'm not in the position of criticizing anyone about their decision.
You have my word I will remain open minded about this car and I won't take owners positive reviews as ways to justify their purchase. I am looking forward to those reviews and I'll know at that point to differentiate a precise review from the rest.
Fair enough, Nick. I'll try to be as honest as possible and not let you down.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It's not a slushbox. It is an automatic.
Of course, it will shift for you if you like. But it will disengage the clutch, shift gear and re-engage solely on your inputs if you prefer. It will bounce off the redline waiting for your input all night if you want. Have you ever tried a 458 or 12C?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

So we drive manuals because we're old and cheap
I've lived to hear this one...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we drive manuals because we're old and cheap
I've lived to hear this one...
I think he was talking about the UK market; notably different than the US market in terms of MT's deployment.

---------------

Anyway, I know a lot of the naysayers here who have already discounted the initial reviews as hyperbole and biased, will also dismiss the early adopter reviews.

While I won't have my car until March-ish despite being no. 2 on my dealer's list, and after 6 manual 911s including both GT3 versions, if the car ends up boring to drive b/c of the loss of the manual, I'll sell it w/i three months of street driving and at least one weekend on Circuit of the Americas, and tell everyone here the reason (well, after I sell it, LOL).

I've cycled through other high end metal quickly in the past; no biggie really.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed

I think he was talking about the UK market; notably different than the US market in terms of MT's deployment.

---------------

Anyway, I know a lot of the naysayers here who have already discounted the initial reviews as hyperbole and biased, will also dismiss the early adopter reviews.

While I won't have my car until March-ish despite being no. 2 on my dealer's list, and after 6 manual 911s including both GT3 versions, if the car ends up boring to drive b/c of the loss of the manual, I'll sell it w/i three months of street driving and at least one weekend on Circuit of the Americas, and tell everyone here the reason (well, after I sell it, LOL).

I've cycled through other high end metal quickly in the past; no biggie really.
In neither market that's true.

I really hope you won't have to sell it after 3 months and instead enjoying it a lot!
I'll be looking forward to your review!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nick.

I give it 80/20 it will be epic, maybe a little higher. That top gear review was great IMO and really helps tip the scales in favor of it delivering completely as promised.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks Nick.

I give it 80/20 it will be epic, maybe a little higher. That top gear review was great IMO and really helps tip the scales in favor of it delivering completely as promised.
I never doubted that this car would be "much better" than the 997.2 it superseded... so I think it delivered on that ... but did it deliver what I as a potential customer wanted ... nope ... the new car just delivers a different experience that I am less attracted to (in the absence of actually driving it)

I would imagine that it will win Evo eCoty ... as have many of its forebears ...

If I get the chance, I would love to drive one and see for myself what the experience is like 1st hand ...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
They are most common on cheap small cars, the sort that old ladies drive to the supermarket. For the average Joe, there is nothing cool/macho/sporty about a manual, its just a cheaper, slower option.
Ha.

Count me in with the old ladies. Sounds as if they know a thing or two the cool/macho/sporty boys don't.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver First Drive