Sponsored by:

Clear Bra / Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clear Bra / Wrap

Anyone planning on installing a clear bra / wrap on their new GT3?

Full front section (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors) or the entire car?

Thoughts, advice, personal experience welcome.

Thanks,
0Q991
Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Anyone planning on installing a clear bra / wrap on their new GT3?

Full front section (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors) or the entire car?

Thoughts, advice, personal experience welcome.

Thanks,
0Q991
Yes.
An absolute must imo.
Probably X-Pel
Full front clip, fascia, hood, full fenders, partial roof (about 6-8 inches) lights. Also mirrors, rockers, behind all wheels.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

No plans here. Doesn't work for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a must or at least it is for me.....
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XPEL Ultimate

Bumper, headlights, side mirrors, rocker panels, and I suppose on a Porsche the area in front of the rear wheels, though I personally hate having any seams at all.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With all those panels, is it better just to do the whole thing at that point?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Dude-
Pro

For me it's a must for NY. Pebbles will destroy the front in no time especially if you drive fast.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

definitely happening. The whole front and mirrors for sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Have it on my RAPTOR but NEVER on my GT3. Every spring before I take her (the 996 one) out she goes at my car cosmetic guy and we fine touch and polish those little dints using a sample of the color coded I got from my dealer using a tiny brush and super fine sand paper to finish and then polishing to match. Will be the same for my 2014 or 2015 to come.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Arth
Racer

I've never done it before to niether my R8 or caymans but I will in the gt3 as its going to see a ton of track time

Will be using 3M

Front Bumper
Side fenders
Front headlights
Front hood
Side mirrors (maybe)

Cheers
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Planning on it. Heard a lot of good things about Xpel but apparently 3M bought another company (?name) that has a superior product to their original offering a 5 year guarantee against fading (important to me since my car will be white). My C4S has a ton of chips from rock trajectories generated by cars with slicks. Does anyone know if either product is superior to the other one?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
definitely happening. The whole front and mirrors for sure.
+1

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Planning on it. Heard a lot of good things about Xpel but apparently 3M bought another company (?name) that has a superior product to their original offering a 5 year guarantee against fading (important to me since my car will be white). My C4S has a ton of chips from rock trajectories generated by cars with slicks. Does anyone know if either product is superior to the other one?
Sam, how old is that non-fading info. I don't want to be contrarian, but I have heard similar claims for white paint in the past, but in the end...it ends up happening again.

I'm not a white car guy, but think it looks fantastic with the red stitching. BUT...I am scared to death of the yellowing. I'm planning on going GR instead. As Leonardo said, "Gentlemen, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention."
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
+1

Sam, how old is that non-fading info. I don't want to be contrarian, but I have heard similar claims for white paint in the past, but in the end...it ends up happening again.

I'm not a white car guy, but think it looks fantastic with the red stitching. BUT...I am scared to death of the yellowing. I'm planning on going GR instead. As Leonardo said, "Gentlemen, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention."
I spoke with my service advisor about this a couple of weeks ago, and he told me about the "new" non yellowing product 3M has. I didn't know to ask how new is it. The only reference I have for Xpel is their website (10 year warranty) and a friend's opinion but his 997 TTS is black so I don't know. My concern with warranty coverage for yellowing is that my tolerance for color change may be much lower than theirs and I may be SOL unless I wait when it is reaaaally yellow.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear Films all yellow... Will noticeably see it on white car. It does take some time. It is the heat on all these. film. Surface will degrade w heat and sun exposure.

Now some of these newer films may last a bit longer but especially on white car, you will notice slight color change on the rear bumper/wheel well area. Not the front hood or front bumper. The heat from the engine on the lower part of the bumper really kills the film. That's why they are meant to be peeled off and apply new ones.

Best car color is gray/silver tone car as you can't see any discoloration.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I spoke with my service advisor about this a couple of weeks ago, and he told me about the "new" non yellowing product 3M has. I didn't know to ask how new is it. The only reference I have for Xpel is their website (10 year warranty) and a friend's opinion but his 997 TTS is black so I don't know. My concern with warranty coverage for yellowing is that my tolerance for color change may be much lower than theirs and I may be SOL unless I wait when it is reaaaally yellow.
older 3m can sometimes be difficult to remove.
not sure about the new stuff.
most of these warranties cover only parts iircc.
labor is the largest cost.
heard good things about xpel.
had 3m on two cars. like it. little bit orange peel. xpel is clearer.
i will still wrap entire frt clip, behind ea wheel, rockers. just plan to replace every few years. can get 4-5 years use on a white car if it doesn't sit in the sun a lot.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra / Wrap