Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra / Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've never done a clear wrap and have no experience with it but I'd consider doing the front fascia/bumper and hood. I don't like the idea, though, of being able to see a difference in the finish between sections that were done and not done. How much of an issue would that be with a red car? Any thoughts on cost for having the above sections done?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've never done a clear wrap and have no experience with it but I'd consider doing the front fascia/bumper and hood. I don't like the idea, though, of being able to see a difference in the finish between sections that were done and not done. How much of an issue would that be with a red car? Any thoughts on cost for having the above sections done?
Mike- usually a full frt clip too include full fenders is <$2000. A great installer is key. With today's best products use will barely notice.
Some great detailers will do XPel frt clip for <$1500, just depends.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike in CA -- doing the full front (bumper, good, fenders, mirrors) will provide best protection from road debris / rock chips. Some folks do the whole car--but heat near engine will create an issue over time and miles. Certain films are harder and thinner and don't have orange peel. Others have orange peel and a "gummy" texture and are thicker, but have a "self healing" property much like some cell phone screen protectors. The only thing never to do is a partial front end--with a seam.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

And I fully agree with 911dev -- the installer is the main driver for a good looking outcome.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer is trying to sell me on a paint sealant protection package called CilaJet, but will throw it in for free. I know these things are generally like snake oil, but I'm wondering if it will do any harm to the finish of the paint over the long term. Anyone have any experience? I'm also planning to do Xpel clear bra on full front. Expecting a Jan '14 delivery of my GT3.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

You are in NCal, take it to Premier in Fremont - they do an awesome job. Mooty referred me there and I am happy with the job. Get the whole front done, that way there will be no visible lines. Costs around 2800 on a 7.2. I am guessing 991 will be the same. I also got rocker panel, rear fender, doors and roof just to be on the safe side for another 2000. They quoted me 8k for the whole car - not worth it IMO.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
My dealer is trying to sell me on a paint sealant protection package called CilaJet, but will throw it in for free. I know these things are generally like snake oil, but I'm wondering if it will do any harm to the finish of the paint over the long term. Anyone have any experience? I'm also planning to do Xpel clear bra on full front. Expecting a Jan '14 delivery of my GT3.
General rule of thumb, don't do any of the dealer offered paint, sealant, wrap or tint services. They may use a decent installer (if you're lucky), but they will never use the highest quality materials due to cost.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunnyr
You are in NCal, take it to Premier in Fremont - they do an awesome job. Mooty referred me there and I am happy with the job. Get the whole front done, that way there will be no visible lines. Costs around 2800 on a 7.2. I am guessing 991 will be the same. I also got rocker panel, rear fender, doors and roof just to be on the safe side for another 2000. They quoted me 8k for the whole car - not worth it IMO.
I've been looking at their web site. Did you do one of their custom installs or use a pre-cut kit? Also, about how long does it take them to do a front clip? I'm premature with this, I know, but I'm curious.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

I've been looking at their web site. Did you do one of their custom installs or use a pre-cut kit? Also, about how long does it take them to do a front clip? I'm premature with this, I know, but I'm curious.
Pretty confidant they cut to size. My installer in NY (Detailing Dynamics) did it this way.
A full front clip is likely a two day job, min.
If Premier was near me, I'd def use them.
Always heard, seen great things.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks Chris.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

It was a custom install I believe. It took them 1 day from (10AM-5PM) to do the whole front and the rocker panels and rear fender. And you take it back after 30 days when they inspect and fix any defects (I also got the roof and doors done then).
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
yes, the paint sealant is likely snakeoil. I'd insist they skip. Doubt it does any harm but what's the point. Which dealer?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunnyr
It was a custom install I believe. It took them 1 day from (10AM-5PM) to do the whole front and the rocker panels and rear fender. And you take it back after 30 days when they inspect and fix any defects (I also got the roof and doors done then).
Cool, thanks. Coming from out of town multiple days would be a PITA.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM
owng
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3M bought Venture shield, it is supposed to stay clear and not yellow however, I wouldn't bet on it on white cars. Dirt will stain it eventually even if film doesn't turn yellow.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

911dev: Porsche of Arlington, VA

Quick Reply: Clear Bra / Wrap