Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of us that love manuals know the PDK is faster. It doesn't matter.

I elk hunt with a muzzleloader. Hardly the best weapon to use, but I enjoy it. I fly fish with a bamboo rod.

I'm just old school to the core.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Those of us that love manuals know the PDK is faster. It doesn't matter.

I elk hunt with a muzzleloader. Hardly the best weapon to use, but I enjoy it. I fly fish with a bamboo rod.

I'm just old school to the core.
I love manuals too, Trackfan. But even after 45 years of driving, I was able to graduate from "old school". If there are enough people like you that are willing to pay the price, maybe some outfit will take the plunge and invest in a MT "upgrade".
Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I've been using your avatar as wallpaper for the last few days. It seems strange seeing it as your avatar.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I've been using your avatar as wallpaper for the last few days. It seems strange seeing it as your avatar.
Yeah, it's my wallpaper too. I love that angle of the car and the fact that it's the color I'm getting gets me pumped every time I see it....
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Definitely a good looker. I'm torn between red, racing yellow, and white. They all look good.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

get a 4.0
Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
get a 4.0
Agreed! Might be more expensive than a 991 GT3 and 30k transmission transplant but will hold its value very well and provide alot of fun...
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
And therein lies the rub, IMHO. At least when an aftermarket manufacturer like Ruf offers a re-engineering of a Porsche product it's with the implicit understanding that it will outperform the original. In this case, in addition to whatever engineering, construction, and reprogramming challenges may be involved, there will be the issue of whether it's possible to raise or even reach the PDK-S performance bar with a MT.

It's one thing to take a risk on building and marketing a tweak for big money that gives the customer bragging rights to a faster car. It's another to take the same risk for something that makes the car slower. I'm not saying it can't or won't be done, just that it's another obstacle to such a project.
As I've said, I believe it's not possible to equal the PDK performance bar with a MT. However driver involvement is something people value and pay for every day. Every time someone buys an Exige or GT3 instead of a Turbo or GTR they are forsaking performance and/ or comfort for involvement. No question it's a very viable trade for some people; '73 911 RS vs GT3 RS 4.0, etc.

At some point I do believe an automated transmission is the way to go for a track car. It's virtually impossible to argue that a modern F1 car experience would be improved with a manual transmission. For a street car, however, especially one used on public US roads at something below "go directly to jail" speeds, the manual undoubtedly increases involvement, and most reviews of the 991 GT3 so far lament the loss of this involvement. Whether gaining that involvement on the street is worth the price (in outright speed and in dollars) will depend on the individual, but I have no doubt some would be willing to pay it if Porsche doesn't offer that alternative. I do agree with the idea of getting an older car too, especially if it's to be used on the street. GT3 RS 4.0 or '73 RS might be a tough call if you were willing to drive both of them.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
driver involvement is something people value and pay for every day. Every time someone buys an Exige or GT3 instead of a Turbo or GTR they are forsaking performance and/ or comfort for involvement.
^ This...up to and including the 997 GT3s, of course.

In a nutshell, this is why some of us are having such a hard time letting this issue go, as the GT3 has traditionally been Porsche's "involvement uber alles" choice, and those days are probably gone forever. There have always been much faster cars out there, even from Porsche. And I'm too tall to fit in an Exige/Elise.

I've not driven them, but would imagine the most purely involving Porsches now - not the fastest on a track, or even on the street - are the Boxster S/Cayman S with the tried 'n true 6-speed stick and PSE.

And for those with the means, various Ruf models, or one of the mega-motor long-hood Singer 911s would be epic. Make my Singer around 380 HP and 2,200 lbs...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Alois Ruf is moving most of his models to PDK too.

I think if you simply cant live without manual then wait for the new Cayaman R. With a few choice modifications (chip, intake exhaust and some bucket seats) you will have a 380bhp car with a very well balanced chasiss weighing 1350kg which would give 997 GT3 a run for its money around a 3 mile track...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
And for those with the means, various Ruf models, or one of the mega-motor long-hood Singer 911s would be epic. Make my Singer around 380 HP and 2,200 lbs...
That's the route I went for involvement. 2100 lbs and 435 hp in a 69 gets pretty involving. Gratuitous beauty shot:

Though honestly it's a bit too much for the street.

Originally Posted by Macca
I think if you simply cant live without manual then wait for the new Cayaman R. With a few choice modifications (chip, intake exhaust and some bucket seats) you will have a 380bhp car with a very well balanced chasiss weighing 1350kg which would give 997 GT3 a run for its money around a 3 mile track...
A new 6 speed Cayman with the new 991 GT3 motor remains awfully tempting.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I love your car Pete
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Your car is beautiful. But there's some serious $$$$ in that car for anyone else wanting to follow your lead and drop a water cooled engine into a long hood tub. You would be one of the few that's done this. Infact I would think it would make fitting a 7 speed manual into the new GT3 look rather easy....
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
That's the route I went for involvement. 2100 lbs and 435 hp in a 69 gets pretty involving. Gratuitous beauty shot:

Though honestly it's a bit too much for the street.

A new 6 speed Cayman with the new 991 GT3 motor remains awfully tempting.
That's a beauty!
Forget about the new GT3 when you have that!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible, but lets get real. First off you spend 150K on a brand new car. Then you are going to spend another 150K (in all reality god knows how much) paying someone who might remotely think he can do the conversion on a brand new complicated vehicle. This is not even worth contemplating, nor even discussing really and my apologies for being blunt.
Like someone here suggested if you cant live with the PDK just buy yourself a 997.2 GT3 RS and you know what it surely will be enough car for you to have your race fix.

Quick Reply: Manual?