Sponsored by:

Edmunds Guards Red Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I always second guess my color choice. When I put down a deposit on th GT3 18 months ago I told my wife I was going to break with my tradition of silver Porsches and order GR, but I wussed out and placed my order last week in GT Silver. I've been searching out color pics all week wondering if I did the right thing.

These Edmund pics have sealed it. Wow. I just got off the phone with my salesman; switched to GR.....
Mike terrific decision! Silver is not a color for the GT3. Red, white and yellow are.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Mike, I think you got it right. Like you, I struggled with the color choice and actually walked into the dealership not knowing which one I would pick, white or red. After looking at the great pics of both colors in this forum, I still don't know which one looks better to me. I finally went with red because I have a (great looking) 991S now and thought a change would be in order.

If you have any second thoughts about going with red over GT Silver, look at your bank account and be consoled by the additional $3140 that will be there.
Originally Posted by Nick
Mike terrific decision! Silver is not a color for the GT3. Red, white and yellow are.
Thanks guys. As for the extra $3140 I found a way to spend it already.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike in CA -- and what will you allocate those funds towards? More leather?

I'm on the slippery slope of adding more and more leather bits.

Right now, trying to decide if I should go for the $1,710 Addition Leather Dash...something I thought I would be able to resist!

But if not, then is that portion of the dash hard plastic? Or a soft touch vinyl?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Mike in CA -- and what will you allocate those funds towards? More leather?

I'm on the slippery slope of adding more and more leather bits.

Right now, trying to decide if I should go for the $1,710 Addition Leather Dash...something I thought I would be able to resist!

But if not, then is that portion of the dash hard plastic? Or a soft touch vinyl?
I originally ordered the base seats, on the assumption I'd be replacing them with sport buckets when they became available. That still may happen but on the chance it doesn't, or the buckets are too outrageously priced, I ordered the 18 way seats to get the thigh/rake/lumbar/bolster adjustments. Also, now with GR, I thought the chrome trim on the stock lights might stand out too much, so I got the PDLS which has gray trim plus of course the PDLS features themselves. A bit of mental horse trading which at $142,265 kept my build within $265 of what it was before.

The extra leather is a slippery slope indeed. On my "full leather" 997.2 that area between the leather dash and windshield is, as you suggest, a combination of soft touch painted plastic and high quality vinyl that looks a lot like leather. I've never felt it looked cheap or mismatched in any way. There's also the issue that that $1710 extra leather is going to be subject to the highest sun exposure in the car. That said, it's a strictly personal argument between your desires and your pocketbook.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Mike in CA -- I agree with you. At this point, I think I'll stay strong and hold off on the $1,710. The way I mentally horse trade it is that my build doesn't include the front end clear bra that I intend to install, which will run about $2k. And if its a choice between the extra dash leather at $1,710 plus tax OR the front end clear bra...I gotta I with the clear bra.

I think seeing the recent pics of the press car with the leather front dash is playing with my mind...
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I originally ordered the base seats, on the assumption I'd be replacing them with sport buckets when they became available. That still may happen but on the chance it doesn't, or the buckets are too outrageously priced, I ordered the 18 way seats to get the thigh/rake/lumbar/bolster adjustments. Also, now with GR, I thought the chrome trim on the stock lights might stand out too much, so I got the PDLS which has gray trim plus of course the PDLS features themselves. A bit of mental horse trading which at $142,265 kept my build within $265 of what it was before.

The extra leather is a slippery slope indeed. On my "full leather" 997.2 that area between the leather dash and windshield is, as you suggest, a combination of soft touch painted plastic and high quality vinyl that looks a lot like leather. I've never felt it looked cheap or mismatched in any way. There's also the issue that that $1710 extra leather is going to be subject to the highest sun exposure in the car. That said, it's a strictly personal argument between your desires and your pocketbook.
I opted for the full leather dash because I like the look of the red stitching surrounding the leather. Makes the interior of car look very elegant and luxurious all for a measly $1710. No doubt a personal preference but a car costing close to $150,000 should look like one.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
I opted for the full leather dash because I like the look of the red stitching surrounding the leather. Makes the interior of car look very elegant and luxurious all for a measly $1710. No doubt a personal preference but a car costing close to $150,000 should look like one.
I can't argue with that. I passed on the stitching because I wanted a cleaner and more purposeful (for want of better wording) interior look, but as you say it's personal preference. If these decisions were totally logical and math based we'd likely all end up with cars that looked the same.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM
0Q991
Drifting

^^^Agreed!

Nick -- I was torn between the red stitching or stock platinum gray. In the end, decided on platinum gray.

Had I gone with the red stitching, the dash would almost be a "must!"
Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first color was going to be guards red. Upen putting in my final build, I went to porsche and asked them to park a white and red 991 Carrera S next to each other.

I don't know if it was my eyes but for some reason I found the guards red in direct sunlight to be little too orangey.

To make sure it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me I asked my buddy to park is recentLy detailed 2007 cayman S next to the red 991. And there it was, even the salesman agreed that the current guards red has A lot more "yellow" added to it that made the whole red just look a bit too orangey compared to the cayman red.

I'm not sure if the Gt3 red will be different but that's my 2 cents on the subject and why I finally decided on white.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

GR does have some orange in it. Whether it's too much or not is a matter of personal taste. OTOH, unlike the Sand White of my Cayenne which has a creamier look, the GT3 white is what I call "refrigerator" white. I still like it, and was seriously considering it, but it gives the car a completely different look than it has in red or some other colors. It just depends on the look that you want.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I always second guess my color choice. When I put down a deposit on th GT3 18 months ago I told my wife I was going to break with my tradition of silver Porsches and order GR, but I wussed out and placed my order last week in GT Silver. I've been searching out color pics all week wondering if I did the right thing.

These Edmund pics have sealed it. Wow. I just got off the phone with my salesman; switched to GR.....
Now we are going to have identical cars :-). I'll drive like a madman and everyone will thinks it's Mike because what are the chances of seeing another red 991 with a wing?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:18 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Now we are going to have identical cars :-). I'll drive like a madman and everyone will thinks it's Mike because what are the chances of seeing another red 991 with a wing?
Hilarious!

Red will look stunning on the new 3 and even the Edmunds pics do not do it justice based on GR on the new Boxster.

I am opting not to get dev stitching b/c I want the buckets to match the interior when they become available.

In photos I tend to lean toward white, but in the metal I know guards is the right color for the 3.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Don't you get red stitching on dash on the part you can see while sitting in car, even with basic full leather?

Also, how comfortable are stock seats.. I like the look of the big aluminum leather for manual adjustment.. And they're probably lighter than 18 way power seats no?...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Don't you get red stitching on dash on the part you can see while sitting in car, even with basic full leather?

Also, how comfortable are stock seats.. I like the look of the big aluminum leather for manual adjustment.. And they're probably lighter than 18 way power seats no?...
Yes with Full Leather you get the off-white stitching. Red is an option of course.

Pretty comfortable, imo. Had them in my .2 and liked them. Although they lack any rake which can be a problem for some. A.S.S. can have more thigh and torso support dialed in. Will likely go Adaptive 18 way with the 991. Give me an hour and I change my mind 5 more times. Arguably the Adaptives add about 28-35 lbs. maybe more. Mike has some hard numbers.

Another thing I liked about the standard seats in addition to the simplicity and lower weight, was you could slide the seat all the way back within a second with the manual adjuster. Laugh, but I like doing that to keep wear to a minimum on the left thigh bolster. You could always save the setting with A.S.S. but that's not a big deal to me. It'd take what felt like an hour for the power seat to go all the way back.

Last edited by 911dev; 07-14-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I think I'll get personalized plates that say IAMMAX, and then we can screw with each others driving records here in the Bay Area.....

Quick Reply: Edmunds Guards Red Pics