Sponsored by:

Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
What I want to know is: why is it anytime anyone says they'd like a manual, they are categorized as 'old school' or a 'purist'. Why is it that what I want can't just be because that's what I like?

Do all of you like the newest music on the radio? No? What are you...'old school'?

And why is it that everyone suddenly feels that 'Well, if Porsche is making it this way, it MUST be better?' Just because Porsche is forcing PDK down our throats, doesn't mean its what everyone wants, or what many of the 'current' GT3 audience wants... And what is the definition of 'better'? On paper, a GTR, or ZR1 is a 'better' car than a GT3. So is a F458 in many ways. So why not go out an buy those since they are 'better'?

I have no issue with Porsche building a wonderful and fast shifting PDK. Great! Wonderful. It's fast, it make an average driver go fast. Beautiful. But the original intention of the GT3 was to provide the true sports car driving enthusiast that TOTALLY connected feel to the drive...sure, I'll say it..the 'purity' of the drive. With PDK, you are letting the car electronically do the work. eh...

Again, there is certainly a place for the amazing technology that is this version of the PDK...but not in my GT3.. In my opinion (and to me, that's all that really matters) it defeats the whole purpose of having a GT3

sorry...and until someone is PAYING me to set lap records around a track, I would prefer the totally engaging experience and FUN factor of a manual.

Not to beat a dead horse but using your logic you are assuming that PDK doesn't require skill and isn't engaging. Furthermore using your logic maybe old school MT enthusiast are afraid to learn a new skill which is to extricate the most from the car using new technology.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Sorry for the rant guys...I had just spent an entire weekend with a guy that tried to convince me that I was wrong and that PDK was the way to go. He wouldn't accept that maybe, just maybe, I'm not interested in how fast it can shift or how easy it is to drive...maybe I LIKED a manual. Nope, I was wrong. Then I saw this thread.

Oh...and the reason for his excitement? He can't drive a manual - never learned. He's been "upset" that Porsche would make a car (GT3) that people like him can't own. I reminded him that he's a lousy driver too, so he SHOULDN'T own a GT3 anyway...

and you are correct...I won't be owning one We've put 43,000 miles on our '04 in the past 2 years and have loved every mile of it. Might move to a '10 one of these days, but that's it.
Meh Bob, give it up. VW wants you to drive an automatic - you will drive an automatic. Besides, cup holders are now standard. What more could you ask for?

BTW, nice avatar.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Not to beat a dead horse but using your logic you are assuming that PDK doesn't require skill and isn't engaging. Furthermore using your logic maybe old school MT enthusiast are afraid to learn a new skill which is to extricate the most from the car using new technology.
Boy thats a stretch. I never said driving a pdk require no skill, and I never said anything about being afraid to learn a new skill. I've driven a 991 with PDK and came away with the feeling that I had just cheated myself out of a good drive. No 'feel' to the driving experience, no engagement...just along for the ride... Feeling for me was closer to driving an AMG Mercedes than it was to a Porsche.

So here's a question I posed on the 6-GT3 forum: would all of you be so interested in it if it was called something OTHER than GT3? What if they called this the GTS...would you be as interested?

Why did you buy a GT3 to begin with? It's not the fastest car out there.... heck, not even the fastest Porsche....it's certainly not the best 'deal'... so why?

Originally Posted by Nizer
Meh Bob, give it up. VW wants you to drive an automatic - you will drive an automatic. Besides, cup holders are now standard. What more could you ask for?

BTW, nice avatar.
Thanks
Probably true, but Porsche wanted us to have amoeba shaped headlights too and we see what happened with that...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Boy thats a stretch. I never said driving a pdk require no skill, and I never said anything about being afraid to learn a new skill. I've driven a 991 with PDK and came away with the feeling that I had just cheated myself out of a good drive. No 'feel' to the driving experience, no engagement...just along for the ride... Feeling for me was closer to driving an AMG Mercedes than it was to a Porsche.

So here's a question I posed on the 6-GT3 forum: would all of you be so interested in it if it was called something OTHER than GT3? What if they called this the GTS...would you be as interested?

Why did you buy a GT3 to begin with? It's not the fastest car out there.... heck, not even the fastest Porsche....it's certainly not the best 'deal'... so why?

Thanks
Probably true, but Porsche wanted us to have amoeba shaped headlights too and we see what happened with that...
The last GT3 was a fantastic deal. You were buying a detuned street-legal race car for a fantastic price which explains their amazing resale values. A 996 GT3 is worth more than a 996 Turbo in similar condition. The new GT3 is also a fantastic deal -- in my opinion it's 80-90% of a 458 Italia at 50% of the price.

The real problem is that while the new car is also a fantastic deal -- it's in no way shape or form the successor to the last GT3. The new GT3 is a completely different car made for completely different customers - I think that's blatantly obvious in reading through the comments. The last GT3 was in its own class -- there really was no competition on the market for what it was.

The new GT3 really is the new GTS-R and if that's the car you're in the market to buy -- it's a fantastic deal.

I think if Porsche ever gets around to using this new motor in their entire line of 911 racing cars from the CUPs to the RSR's and options a 6-speed manual -- it will gain a lot more acceptance amongst fans of the previous gen.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The last GT3 was a fantastic deal. You were buying a detuned street-legal race car for a fantastic price which explains their amazing resale values. A 996 GT3 is worth more than a 996 Turbo in similar condition. The new GT3 is also a fantastic deal -- in my opinion it's 80-90% of a 458 Italia at 50% of the price.

The real problem is that while the new car is also a fantastic deal -- it's in no way shape or form the successor to the last GT3. The new GT3 is a completely different car made for completely different customers - I think that's blatantly obvious in reading through the comments. The last GT3 was in its own class -- there really was no competition on the market for what it was.

The new GT3 really is the new GTS-R and if that's the car you're in the market to buy -- it's a fantastic deal.

I think if Porsche ever gets around to using this new motor in their entire line of 911 racing cars from the CUPs to the RSR's and options a 6-speed manual -- it will gain a lot more acceptance amongst fans of the previous gen.
Well, I have to disagree on ONE thing,,, you can't assumed that the new GT3 is the new GTS-R unless they've been compared and the GTS-R doesn't exist IMHO!

But the GT3 is definitely a great deal. Based on what I've payd for my brand new 04 GT3 in 2004 and what I've been quoted for a 2014 + all the new technology, performance........ it's almost like I feel I was riped back then.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
Well, I have to disagree on ONE thing,,, you can't assumed that the new GT3 is the new GTS-R unless they've been compared and the GTS-R doesn't exist IMHO!
I'm not assuming anything. Porsche made it clear by making the 2014 GT3 street car not follow the formula of the 2014 GT3 Cup as the previous cars had.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Inarguable indeed but that is a totally different argument. Time will tell if the 2015 Cup cars come with RWS, 9A1 DI based motor...... Based on what I've heard, the 2014 cup is still with the mezger engine for the last year.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
Inarguable indeed but that is a totally different argument. Time will tell if the 2015 Cup cars come with RWS, 9A1 DI based motor...... Based on what I've heard, the 2014 cup is still with the mezger engine for the last year.
The resemblance between Cup cars past, present or future and GT3s past, present or future are a tribute to Porsche's marketing effectiveness.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Crystal ball past
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I am not sure you understand your post. When you say that PDK electronically does the driving that clearly implies the driver has little or no input with respect to the performance of the car. PDK shifts when instructed by the driver. It does not steer the car nor does it provide the braking, speed and apex. The driver does that. With manual it is the same process EXCEPT instead of engaging a paddle you depress the clutch. Oh and in some instances there may be a heel and toe contortion with your right foot but it does not happen often. Everything is the same EXCEPT the PDK allows you to go faster in performance driving.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

I am not sure you understand your post. When you say that PDK electronically does the driving that clearly implies the driver has little or no input with respect to the performance of the car. PDK shifts when instructed by the driver. It does not steer the car nor does it provide the braking, speed and apex. The driver does that. With manual it is the same process EXCEPT instead of engaging a paddle you depress the clutch. Oh and in some instances there may be a heel and toe contortion with your right foot but it does not happen often. Everything is the same EXCEPT the PDK allows you to go faster in performance driving.
I don't get the bolded part. I always heel/toe, even on the road. In my PCA region, we don't even allow drivers to move to the intermediate/solo group until they can heel/toe reasonably well.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you put the PDK in D, and let it do all the shifting? That's not being very involved, and I suspect some will drive it that way.
CH was doing that during his road test.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you put the PDK in D, and let it do all the shifting? That's not being very involved, and I suspect some will drive it that way.
I recently had the chance to do a lap of Sonoma raceway with Porsche driving school instructor (as part of the Porsche roadshow thing). He had the PDK in auto mode and he said auto mode in the new PDK was so good it was as fast or faster than the manual mode. So unless, you are looking for "driving involvement", manual mode seems pretty pointless.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I had read that elsewhere. An automatic is an automatic no matter what you call it, or how it works. I'm just not interested in it.

A C7 ZO6 is second on my list, but i'm going to wait out Porsche to see what they're going to do. They seem pretty set on the PDK.

They seem to forget that not everybody is going to club race, or drag race a GT3, and a few tenths here and there doesn't matter. Some of us like to drive manuals, because that's what we love to drive.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
You're correct. But if someone wants to drive in D, it's their choice not that of the gearbox.

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I recently had the chance to do a lap of Sonoma raceway with Porsche driving school instructor (as part of the Porsche roadshow thing). He had the PDK in auto mode and he said auto mode in the new PDK was so good it was as fast or faster than the manual mode. So unless, you are looking for "driving involvement", manual mode seems pretty pointless.
Based on my experience even with first generation PDK, he's right. That said, on the street, I use manual mode almost 100% of the time simply because it is fun and involving, so it's hardly pointless. PDK-S in manual mode with paddle neutral, no kick down, no upshift at redline, etc. will demand that the driver make all of the shifting decisions and he/she will have more precise control over gear selection than can be had with a MT. Heel/toe, sadly, is gone but IMHO everything else about gear selection will offer more flexibility and quicker response.

Quick Reply: Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.