Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its human nature. We are all scared of change.

My money is on CH ordering the new 991 GT3/RS himself. His mate Mario has one on order and that other famous race guy (forgot his name)...

Peter. I don't believe I've been majorly off track in the last 6 months. In fact the more we hear the more I think you will find (if you look at my previous posts) Im not talking out of a hole in my *** LOL! I still don't understand why you ant to sell your 4.0RS!

Mezgers original engineering contributions are relatively faint by the tie you get to the water cooled cars. Mostly oiling and lubrication and of course the chain driven camshafts.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I don't care about Mezger, don't care about Porsche.
I want durable fun involving track car that I can commute with.

Race it and I will be a believer
Bingo... We are not drinking mezger koolaid, our only interest in the Mezger is that Porsche race the same engine they put in our cars... thus reliability is proven...

I'm happy to take a GT car with a 9A1, a 9A2 or even a 9A10 as long as I know it can take a beating in the hands of a pro for 24 hrs which indicates anything I can throw at it will be like a walk in the park... More than happy to embrace advances in technology as long as the manufacturer has the confidence to do with it what they claim... race... not just talk about doing it as they have done to date...

Proven reliability is obviously going to be of importance to those flogging their cars, especially when a family car costs less than a replacement motor on one of these things. Those street driving a track car are hardly going to test its reliability...

Last edited by 911rox; 07-12-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

^ That.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Bingo... We are not drinking mezger koolaid, our only interest in the Mezger is that Porsche race the same engine they put in our cars... thus reliability is proven...

I'm happy to take a GT car with a 9A1, a 9A2 or even a 9A10 as long as I know it can take a beating in the hands of a pro for 24 hrs which indicates anything I can throw at it will be like a walk in the park... More than happy to embrace advances in technology as long as the manufacturer has the confidence to do with it what they claim... race... not just talk about doing it as they have done to date...

Proven reliability is obviously going to be of importance to those flogging their cars, especially when a family car costs less than a replacement motor on one of these things. Those street driving a track car are hardly going to test its reliability...
911Rox. On this basis I think it could be quite a long time before those whom believe along similar lines are able to confidently buy another Porsche GT product. If true reliability is to be proven it will take around a decade given Porsche current designs on Motorsport programmes.

For the rest of us we'll try it in the next 6-12 months and lean on the 2 year warranty in the meantime I guess....
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its human nature. We are all scared of change.
Some concerns with the car aren't simply due to fear of change: good reasons to think PDK may not be as fun as manual, bucket seats should have been available in the US at the outset, CL wheels not as practical for the track as 5-lugs, 20" wheels means smaller selection of track tires. I'm open to giving the new engine a chance, the steering seems to be good enough, and I can see how RWS makes sense, though I wonder if it will make setting alignment more difficult.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
911Rox. On this basis I think it could be quite a long time before those whom believe along similar lines are able to confidently buy another Porsche GT product. If true reliability is to be proven it will take around a decade given Porsche current designs on Motorsport programmes.

For the rest of us we'll try it in the next 6-12 months and lean on the 2 year warranty in the meantime I guess....
Some serious track use will have me convinced... NBR 24hr or similar for example... They did it in 2010 with the 3.8RS. If this engine is up to the task as claimed by AP and Porsche, I see no reason why they can't put and end to concerns and race the car... Certainly don't need 10 years to prove the reliability of the car.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Some serious track use will have me convinced... NBR 24hr or similar for example... They did it in 2010 with the 3.8RS. If this engine is up to the task as claimed by AP and Porsche, I see no reason why they can't put and end to concerns and race the car... Certainly don't need 10 years to prove the reliability of the car.
This
Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

NBR 24hr or similar for example... They did it in 2010 with the 3.8RS. If this engine is up to the task as claimed by AP and Porsche, I see no reason why they can't put and end to concerns and race the car... Certainly don't need 10 years to prove the reliability of the car.
+2. That will forever silence pundits and doubters once and for all. Come on, AP & team, I'd like to see you make a bold statement in action rather than your litany of adjectives like "emotion" and "sporty".
Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+3. ^^
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+4 and must use standard engine and tranny.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
"
A memorable day spent driving the new 911 GT3 reveals a faster, even more responsive yet more accessible and user-friendly car. Its abilities are quite remarkable and very much the root of its appeal. You can now comfortably drive it to work in automatic mode, something we're sure many prospective owners will do."

So, basically, a Nissan GT-R, only slower.
The 991 GTR is here!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by triode

The 991 GTR is here!
Such a silly comment. Have you driven a GTR? A RWD 911 with a dual clutch transmission is not a freakin GTR. Retarded
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
Such a silly comment. Have you driven a GTR? A RWD 911 with a dual clutch transmission is not a freakin GTR. Retarded
Now now Rob, mind your temper and no personal attacks. It's just a car...
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by triode

Now now Rob, mind your temper and no personal attacks. It's just a car...
Not angry, just amused. I hereby rescind the word "retarded"

Trust me, I'd also prefer the manual. The GTR is such a mindless drive though. I sure as heck hope the GT3 has zero resemblance.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
+4 and must use standard engine and tranny.
+5..

Quick Reply: Autoweek GT3 review. Purists get ready.