Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are you going to cover the wheel in your GT3 build in?
Alcantara
60.14%
Leather
39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Melissa from Porsche Exclusive confirmed that both wheels come with deviated stitching and specifically answered that if you select the red deviated stitching option for ( approx $1490 US ) either wheel you choose automatically comes with the fancy red stitching.

Ryan
Awesome, thank you so much for checking.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
In some markets the GT3 is way overpirced. In the U.S. however it's a bargain, like every Porsche. Comparing it with a KIA is a bit silly. Of course a Kia has a lot of features standard, where you have to pay extra on premium brands. But that's the way it is. Every BMW, Audi, Merc, Jag, Aston, etc. is not as well equipped as a Kia. But please compare apples to apples.
We all know that Porsches are very under-equipped. But it doesn't keep us from buying one.... In our market we even have to pay for the floormats or top tinted window.

Suzy991
Sure we get a good deal in the USA due to less tax but that's relative.
I see no good reason why Porsche gets to charge for extra's that are standard on BMW MB Audi Jag and all premium brands often at half the cost.
That Kia and Hyundai can supply top quality sound systems etc. std at an even lower price shows that its all profit margin. At even prices the premium brands all include great radio's, NAV Leather etc.

At GT3 prices some options should be no cost, you only don't take them if you want to save race track weight.

On the 997RS you could argue that the money went into a hand build low volume engine, Carbon Fiber stuff etc. but I don't see that big of a difference in the 991GT3. Mass produced so why can an M6 for example come loaded to the gills with luxury stuff for less money?

I'm a no option, less is more buyer, but I see people specing a GT3 to 150K and even higher, yet rarely if ever take it to the track and I wonder if they would not be happier and get better value with the likes of BMW M MB AMG, Audi R8 or even entry level Bentleys and Astons.

Some I think are low production numbers or rare enough stand alone models enough to keep better value than a GT3 that looks like every other 991 with a spoiler. In other words I thing the residual value of those "base" cars might be better because the actual transaction price is much closer to the base MSRP.

A $110K M6 base is probably sold as a $110 car and used buyers will see it as a $110K car new.

A $130K 991 will be seen as a $130K car and depreciate from there, the extra 30K in options is gone?

What the GT3 always has going for it is that for track junkies you buy a $130K 997RS and it takes nothing or very little to make it track worthy.

A Corvette needed $30K more and those $30K where gone immediately on the depreciation slide.

jm2c
Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I see no good reason why Porsche gets to charge for extra's that are standard on BMW MB Audi Jag and all premium brands often at half the cost.
That Kia and Hyundai can supply top quality sound systems etc. std at an even lower price shows that its all profit margin. At even prices the premium brands all include great radio's, NAV Leather etc.

At GT3 prices some options should be no cost, you only don't take them if you want to save race track weight.

On the 997RS you could argue that the money went into a hand build low volume engine, Carbon Fiber stuff etc. but I don't see that big of a difference in the 991GT3. Mass produced so why can an M6 for example come loaded to the gills with luxury stuff for less money?

I'm a no option, less is more buyer, but I see people specing a GT3 to 150K and even higher, yet rarely if ever take it to the track and I wonder if they would not be happier and get better value with the likes of BMW M MB AMG, Audi R8 or even entry level Bentleys and Astons.

Some I think are low production numbers or rare enough stand alone models enough to keep better value than a GT3 that looks like every other 991 with a spoiler. In other words I thing the residual value of those "base" cars might be better because the actual transaction price is much closer to the base MSRP.

A $110K M6 base is probably sold as a $110 car and used buyers will see it as a $110K car new.

A $130K 991 will be seen as a $130K car and depreciate from there, the extra 30K in options is gone?

What the GT3 always has going for it is that for track junkies you buy a $130K 997RS and it takes nothing or very little to make it track worthy.

A Corvette needed $30K more and those $30K where gone immediately on the depreciation slide.

jm2c
You have a point there. And I agree.
It's a well known fact that Porsche sometimes goes completely mad with option-prices. If you look at it from a rational point of view, it's almost insane to buy a Porsche.

I'm ordering a C4S right now with an additional 50% of the base price on options alone. Why? I can't really tell you to be honest. It's probably because I want the car like that.
And it is not just me doing that... Porsche seems to get away with It for a long time now.
They clearly are doing something right and we all help to let them do their thing.

Suzy991
Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most are, I would run from deviated stitching.
Rarely have I seen a deviated stitching option where everything matched.
My no option 4.0 comes with mismatched shifter boot and steering wheel stitching for example.

A shifter boot is the lever thing you see in the middle of the center console on old cars that allows you to shift manually using a 3rd clutch, it used to give great joy to driving a GT3. You had to heel n toe and stuff under threshold trail braking rotating the car into a corner. It did not fry the inside rear pads tough..
Wow, that's rather shocking coming from a high quantity production house like Porsche. Good to know though.

Nice work slotting a little manual dig in there as well
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What is best way from a depreciation standpoint to spec a gt3 then? I've looked at a car just with a lift kit and nothing else.. Or, adding $20k in options to make the interior all leathery and pretty. Do the $20k in options depreciate faster than the base car?

Example: which applies?

-$135k std gt3 loses 10% in 1st yr to $122k?

-$150k gt3 loses 10% in 1st yr to $135k?

-$150k gt3 loses >10% in 1st yr to $125k approx?

Do the options hold the car's value?.. Make it easier to resell?.. Become relatively insignificant?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What is best way from a depreciation standpoint to spec a gt3 then? I've looked at a car just with a lift kit and nothing else.. Or, adding $20k in options to make the interior all leathery and pretty. Do the $20k in options depreciate faster than the base car?

Do the options hold the car's value?.. Make it easier to resell?.. Become relatively insignificant?
best way is to just buy an odyssey, I seak from experience. Porsche deprecates faster than my minivan and I had a large number of p cars.

options? hard to say. Trakcar and I will pay more foe a no option car than one with option. me for example will no longer consider ANY 997gt car with front lift. they just don't work for me and I get aggravated when it breaks. I dot need high blood pressure.

others love cars loaded with option. nothing wrong with that. u just need to find right buyers

PTS keeps value best. but for the life of my, I don't understand why one would pay extra for color that's special to the original buyer? if I did PTS it would be green brown cow dung. I like to see how it depreciates.

jm2c
Pete, u need to get on trck. u are babbling like me now
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a very interesting question!

What makes a car more desireble as a second hand car? In case of the GT3 I can imagine that this is different than for example a Carrera.
I guess that someone who wants a second-hand GT3, is more likely searching for a track-car. (Just guessing...) so that would mean that "luxury"-options are not as important than in a base Carrera. This means that the optioned car would depreciate more than a base car. But is that true?

What would one think is important to have in a second hand GT3? IMO the lift is one option that decreases the depreciation. On the the other end, a leather wrapped steering column with deviated stitching (just for example) wil not have any effect on depreciation, so those are costs you'll never get back IMO.
In a base carrera those things can sometimes be more important. It all depends on what the common second hand buyer is searching for and thinks is important t have.

Interesting subject...

Suzy991
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they are both grossly overpriced when you add options that come std on a Kia.
It's an old argument which can be applied to almost any specialized or luxury item. On the basis of value and utility it's hard to justify spending more than about $25K on any car.

So join the smart folks, buy a Kia, and feel superior to gullible, spendthrift Porsche owners!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

btw calexio, if you put miles on the car, the dep'n is more than 10% first year.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Pete, u need to get on trck. u are babbling like me now
I know, but no track day in sight.
losing the will to live being poseur on rennlist.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's an old argument which can be applied to almost any specialized or luxury item. On the basis of value and utility it's hard to justify spending more than about $25K on any car.

So join the smart folks, buy a Kia, and feel superior to gullible, spendthrift Porsche owners!
True. Until you go to the track a lot. than they are bargains.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

btw calexio, if you put miles on the car, the dep'n is more than 10% first year.
Yea, I was just trying to provide a baseline for conparison. However, it amazes me though how many 2007 gt3 cars with 15k miles still sell for $90k on eBay.. That not much more than 15% in SIX years..
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM
frayed
Race Car

This thread went off the reservation.

Anyway, I voted Alcantara after originally planning on leather. I think alcantara makes the car that much more special, and I'll have it recovered when it pills up after 30k miles or whatever.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Yea, I was just trying to provide a baseline for conparison. However, it amazes me though how many 2007 gt3 cars with 15k miles still sell for $90k on eBay.. That not much more than 15% in SIX years..
1 depn cuve flattens out. year one is like step function, u nose dive.
2. 15000 miles in 7 years, isn't ath 2500 a year? that's NOT driving. before i had track habit with trailers, i can do 15000 a year. then we talk about dep'n
3. if you plan to do j ust <5000 easy miles a year, then 5-6 years, you dont see much depn at all. however, you didn't really ENJOY driving. you would have ENJOYED looking at it (i dont mean to be insulting, but looking at the car is a form of enjoyment, and i have some cars in which i dont drive but just having visual sex with. so it's ok).

Originally Posted by frayed
This thread went off the reservation.

Anyway, I voted Alcantara after originally planning on leather. I think alcantara makes the car that much more special, and I'll have it recovered when it pills up after 30k miles or whatever.
my palms dont sweat. i dont have death grip either. i detail the car to death.
but i guarantee you that in less than 10k miles your str wheel will mat out and become hairless (the wheel, not you LOL). been there done that. some find it ugly, others find it as patina... to each his own. i try to not look at it too much.

frayed, i am getting back to the reservation.
there's no free lunch
cool look with tactile feel: alcantara but wears out quick
mundane ordinary: leather but last a looooooooong time.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

mooty would you skip the alcantara and opt for smooth leather?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

my palms dont sweat. i dont have death grip either. i detail the car to death.
but i guarantee you that in less than 10k miles your str wheel will mat out and become hairless (the wheel, not you LOL). been there done that. some find it ugly, others find it as patina... to each his own. i try to not look at it too much.

frayed, i am getting back to the reservation.
there's no free lunch
cool look with tactile feel: alcantara but wears out quick
mundane ordinary: leather but last a looooooooong time.
I've ordered leather but keep wondering if I should have gone with alcantera. mooty, your post helps me put this to rest......thanks.

Quick Reply: Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel