Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are you going to cover the wheel in your GT3 build in?
Alcantara
60.14%
Leather
39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I think you are right. I noticed the CH video that shows the red stitching on the wheel also shows grey stitching elsewhere. What do you make of that? It appears the consensus is leather is way more durable so I'm gonna go with the leather wheel and hope for the best. I wear gloves on the track and am worried the rubber grips will scuff the alcantara.
Sam-----I have worried about just that same thing! I want the leather wrap on the steering column but it appears to me that may only come in gray stitch which would completely ruin continuity of red stitch package. Any insight guys into other leather pieces being matching red? Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Sam-----I have worried about just that same thing! I want the leather wrap on the steering column but it appears to me that may only come in gray stitch which would completely ruin continuity of red stitch package. Any insight guys into other leather pieces being matching red? Thanks
Other than one salesman's statement that the leather wheel won't have red stitching, what other information have you seen? The configurator clearly states that the Alcantara wheel will have red stitching if you choose full leather with red stitching. I expect that the leather wheel will also get red stitching. The 3D configurator shows the leather wheel with red stitching. Maybe it is wrong and that salesman is correct, but I doubt that.

Here are some screen shots from the 3D configurator:

Alcantara wheel with platinum stitching

Alcantara wheel with red stitching

Leather wheel with platinum stitching

Leather wheel with red stitching

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Other than one salesman's statement that the leather wheel won't have red stitching, what other information have you seen? The configurator clearly states that the Alcantara wheel will have red stitching if you choose full leather with red stitching. I expect that the leather wheel will also get red stitching. The 3D configurator shows the leather wheel with red stitching. Maybe it is wrong and that salesman is correct, but I doubt that.

Here are some screen shots from the 3D configurator:

Alcantara wheel with platinum stitching

Alcantara wheel with red stitching

Leather wheel with platinum stitching

Leather wheel with red stitching

Not all choices I made on the configurator showed up on 2D mode viewing (smoker's package, red seat belts, red stitching on leather wheel, etc). Once I viewed the configuration in 3D mode, all of my options showed up, including the leather steering wheel with red stitching. The Additional Interior Leather, Dashboard in Leather option ($1,700) also showed in red stitching that looks gorgeous.
At this point in time, and based on all prior comments, I now believe that red stitching will happen on the wheel. Thanks for all the input, everybody. Glad to have found this forum!!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Is there any precedence for Porsche building cars with deviated stitching colors that don't match? Seems like a silly thing to offer/worry about.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leather wrap around the steering column (option XNS) comes standerd without deviated stitching. If you want deviated stitching, you can get that via Porsche Exclusive or so called Z-options. Optioncode for that one is: 90027 "deviated stitching for option XNS" you can choose the color from the available colorpalet, incl. red. I don't know the U.S. prices of these options but I guess it will be around $80-$100

Suzy991
Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Not deviated but does apparently have dash style stitching- double line stitching like doors and dash. I'm afraid it won't be red. I don't want deviated just regular but may be gray only or does choosing red guarantee red all over leather no matter the add ons?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Not deviated but does apparently have dash style stitching- double line stitching like doors and dash. I'm afraid it won't be red. I don't want deviated just regular but may be gray only or does choosing red guarantee red all over leather no matter the add ons?
If you chose the red stitching option, it will be red stitching everywhere. Like I said, I cannot imagine that they mix them on various parts. The leather steering column option may be with non-deviated stitching though, because that is standard. I don't know that for sure. You'll have to ask.
But to be honest... In a black interior it doesn't make sense to get that option if it is not with deviated stitching. Just my opinion. (Steering column is already black plastic, same as the back of the steering wheel, so why get black leather if it isn't with deviated stitching to make the difference, so you see where you paid for)

Suzy991
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Melissa from Porsche Exclusive confirmed that both wheels come with deviated stitching and specifically answered that if you select the red deviated stitching option for ( approx $1490 US ) either wheel you choose automatically comes with the fancy red stitching.

Ryan

Last edited by reidry; 07-08-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling of course
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Melissa from Porsche Exclusive confirmed that both wheels come with deviated stitching and specifically answered that if you select the red deviated stitching option for ( approx $1490 US ) either wheel you choose automatically comes with the fancy red stitching.

Ryan

Thanks for getting that info. Miss Florida 2005 has all the answers!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ryan -- Thanks for the info. Melissa seems amazing, has all the info and so responsive.

0Q991
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Ryan -- Thanks for the info. Melissa seems amazing, has all the info and so responsive.

0Q991
I wish we had a Melissa in Switzerland

Suzy991
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The more I think about it, the GT3 really is an amazing "value." Were you to build a C2S with all "sporty" options (including aero kit, power kit, etc), it still wouldn't have the most important technical aspects of the GT3 and would cost the same!

0Q991
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I think they are both grossly overpriced when you add options that come std on a Kia.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
Is there any precedence for Porsche building cars with deviated stitching colors that don't match? Seems like a silly thing to offer/worry about.
Most are, I would run from deviated stitching.
Rarely have I seen a deviated stitching option where everything matched.
My no option 4.0 comes with mismatched shifter boot and steering wheel stitching for example.

A shifter boot is the lever thing you see in the middle of the center console on old cars that allows you to shift manually using a 3rd clutch, it used to give great joy to driving a GT3. You had to heel n toe and stuff under threshold trail braking rotating the car into a corner. It did not fry the inside rear pads tough..
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think they are both grossly overpriced when you add options that come std on a Kia.
In some markets the GT3 is way overpirced. In the U.S. however it's a bargain, like every Porsche. Comparing it with a KIA is a bit silly. Of course a Kia has a lot of features standard, where you have to pay extra on premium brands. But that's the way it is. Every BMW, Audi, Merc, Jag, Aston, etc. is not as well equipped as a Kia. But please compare apples to apples.
We all know that Porsches are very under-equipped. But it doesn't keep us from buying one.... In our market we even have to pay for the floormats or top tinted window.

Suzy991

Quick Reply: Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel