Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are you going to cover the wheel in your GT3 build in?
Alcantara
60.14%
Leather
39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got this from my salesperson a minute ago, and I am now conflicted:

Here is the updated build. The steering wheel does not look like it will come in red. There are no “Z” options to set it that way either. I do know, however, that it can be stitched after the fact. There is an interior shop locally that has done many custom steering wheels for us.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX

Here is the updated build. The steering wheel does not look like it will come in red. There are no “Z” options to set it that way either. I do know, however, that it can be stitched after the fact. There is aninterior shop locally that has done many custom steering wheels for us.
I am confused. I thought that the wheel is in deviating stitching whether you choose alcantara or leather, sliver grey or red. You shouldn't have to make a selection or name it as an extra option, the same way you aren't choosing to get the dash in deviating stitching. It just comes that way.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thank you. I never ordered deviaed stitching before nor did I order a GT3 before and hence my worries. I will order it in leather.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you. I never ordered deviaed stitching before nor did I order a GT3 before and hence my worries. I will order it in leather.
Sam, you need to get your salesperson to make an inquiry about this. They must have someone they can call and get a definitive answer. What I wrote is my understanding, but the 3D configurator could be wrong. There have certainly been other errors. Just look at the list of standard features where there are still some errors.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Sam, you need to get your salesperson to make an inquiry about this. They must have someone they can call and get a definitive answer. What I wrote is my understanding, but the 3D configurator could be wrong. There have certainly been other errors. Just look at the list of standard features where there are still some errors.
OK, thank you. I will ask him to email/call them. There must be someone who knows. I will post an update when/if I get one. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, thank you. I will ask him to email/call them. There must be someone who knows. I will post an update when/if I get one. Thanks again.
There is an option for the carrera models which gives you the oppertunity to get the steering wheel in deviated stitching. The optioncode is CLU. I don't know if they will do that for the GT3, but Porsche can do this for other models, so why not for the GT3? The steering wheel itself is the same as the Sport Design on Carreras. Only the paddles are different, but that has nothing to do with the stitching IMO.
Ask you salesperson to contact Porsche North America and let them do some proper research.
Allthough I can't imagine that when you opt for red stitching and pay that amount of money for it, that they leave the steerng wheel in silver stitching. That's just no logic to me.

I wish you luck with it and hope that it can be done.

Edit:
I've just dowloaded the brochure from the German website and there's a picture of the red stitching INCL. the steering wheel.
Here's a screencap from my iPad (sorry for the bad quality):

Name:  image-2267359966.png
Views: 2290
Size:  927.2 KB

Here you can download the German brochure: http://www.porsche.com/germany/model...y/?gtabindex=3

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 07-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Suzy991
There is an option for the carrera models which gives you the oppertunity to get the steering wheel in deviated stitching. The optioncode is CLU. I don't know if they will do that for the GT3, but Porsche can do this for other models, so why not for the GT3? The steering wheel itself is the same as the Sport Design on Carreras. Only the paddles are different, but that has nothing to do with the stitching IMO.
Ask you salesperson to contact Porsche North America and let them do some proper research.
Allthough I can't imagine that when you opt for red stitching and pay that amount of money for it, that they leave the steerng wheel in silver stitching. That's just no logic to me.

I wish you luck with it and hope that it can be done.

Edit:
I've just dowloaded the brochure from the German website and there's a picture of the red stitching INCL. the steering wheel.
Here's a screencap from my iPad:

Attachment 741439

Suzy991
Thank you. Do you know if this is the Alacantara wheel or the leather wheel? My monitor's resolution make it appear like Alacantara, which comes with red stitching. Still waiting to hear from my guy regarding red stitching with leather wheel. Thank you for posting this picture.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Thank you. Do you know if this is the Alacantara wheel or the leather wheel? My monitor's resolution make it appear like Alacantara, which comes with red stitching. Still waiting to hear from my guy regarding red stitching with leather wheel. Thank you for posting this picture.
In the picture is the alcantara wheel, but I cannot imagine that the leather wheel wouldn't be available with red stitching. I can not think of any reason why that shouldn't be possible, because leather wheels in carreras are available with deviated stitching.

Good luck!

Suzy991
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't know how relevant this is, but if you remember the Chris Harris video, that engineering car had the leather covered wheel with red stitching......
Old 07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Don't know how relevant this is, but if you remember the Chris Harris video, that engineering car had a leather covered wheel with red stitching......
True! Haha! I was watching it a moment ago and wanted to write exactly the same

Suzy991
Old 07-05-2013, 06:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I think this is very relevant information that I didn't recall or notice. Thank you both and will keep hounding my salesman for a firm answer.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the updated build. The steering wheel does not look like it will come in red. There are no “Z” options to set it that way either. I do know, however, that it can be stitched after the fact. There is an interior shop locally that has done many custom steering wheels for us.
He told you wrong. If you order the red the steering wheel has red stitching even in leather. Go to the Chris Harris video of his preproduction model and link at his wheel. Leather with red.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
He told you wrong. If you order the red the steering wheel has red stitching even in leather. Go to the Chris Harris video of his preproduction model and link at his wheel. Leather with red.
I think you are right. I noticed the CH video that shows the red stitching on the wheel also shows grey stitching elsewhere. What do you make of that? It appears the consensus is leather is way more durable so I'm gonna go with the leather wheel and hope for the best. I wear gloves on the track and am worried the rubber grips will scuff the alcantara.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you are right. I noticed the CH video that shows the red stitching on the wheel also shows grey stitching elsewhere. What do you make of that? It appears the consensus is leather is way more durable so I'm gonna go with the leather wheel and hope for the best. I wear gloves on the track and am worried the rubber grips will scuff the alcantara.
The seats in the car don't match either. It's an engineering prototype used for testing so some bits are mixed and matched. The point is that the leather wheel is apparently available with red stitching, so if you want the red option the wheel should match.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The seats in the car don't match either. It's an engineering prototype used for testing so some bits are mixed and matched. The point is that the leather wheel is apparently available with red stitching, so if you want the red option the wheel should match.
Thanks, Mike.

Quick Reply: Your 2014 GT3 - Alcantara or Leather Steering Wheel