Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Configurator Questions

Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Do you have experience with the base system? I have always had the upgraded sound system and it was fine. But I think in the GT3, it may be hard to listen to the radio anyway given the noise so I was thinking of passing on it.
No, and to correct what I wrote above, the base system isn't quite as lame as I indicated. It's actually 4 speakers and a 2x25 watt amplifier with a single CD player and the ability to play MP3.

Dan, I agree about listening to music; even in my Carrera with sport exhaust it's pretty futile and the GT3 will be "worse". If I listen to anything it's usually sports talk radio or some such and save the quality listening and Pandora for the Cayenne.

Maybe you are in a different country, but in the U.S. PCM/NAV is "free" except that it's mandatory to add the $700 Sound Package Plus option which has 7 speakers and 185 watts. So for $700 you get the sound upgrade, PCM (which has some nice features) and NAV. If you don't get the sound upgrade you can't get any of this. Even if you don't want better sound, think of it as spending $700 for PCM/NAV. If it's still not worth it to you, then you're probably right to skip it. Just my $.02.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Have to be crazy not to take the nav/pcm and SPP. Good deal for $700 even if no Berm or Bose.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I didn't order the optional $690 Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor which includes a "rain sensor with four-stage sensitivity adjustment".

So today I'm perusing the standard features looking to see if the car has Homelink (it does) and I come across a listing for standard "rain sensing windshield wiper system with aerodynamic wiper blades, 2 wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and heated washer nozzles".

Anybody else notice this? So are rain sensing wipers standard or not? Could be an error in the copy although it shows up in a couple of places. Not a big deal one way or another but now I'm curious....
Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I know it's been said before.. But my golf gti in bigh school had rain sensing wipers FFS!!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I didn't order the optional $690 Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor which includes a "rain sensor with four-stage sensitivity adjustment".

So today I'm perusing the standard features looking to see if the car has Homelink (it does) and I come across a listing for standard "rain sensing windshield wiper system with aerodynamic wiper blades, 2 wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and heated washer nozzles".

Anybody else notice this? So are rain sensing wipers standard or not? Could be an error in the copy although it shows up in a couple of places. Not a big deal one way or another but now I'm curious....
Would like to know. Dimming mirrors are very nice IMO if the Porsche tech works as well as other German manufacturers
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

If you order the full leather option when you select the seats does that also include leather on the doors? I know the extended leather cover areas on the doors not really visible.

I believe the wipers are standard. At least they were on my 997.2 TT Cab.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike where are you seeing that the rain sensors etc are standard? Ill look through my factory literature again but pretty sure I saw no mention of them as standard....be good to get to the bottom of this...
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
Would like to know. Dimming mirrors are very nice IMO if the Porsche tech works as well as other German manufacturers
FWIW, I have dimming mirrors on my Cayenne and they work very well, but didn't think I needed them on the GT3 and there's nothing that indicates they are standard. The rain sensing wipers are another story as depending where you look they are shown as both optional and standard.

Originally Posted by Nick
If you order the full leather option when you select the seats does that also include leather on the doors? I know the extended leather cover areas on the doors not really visible.

I believe the wipers are standard. At least they were on my 997.2 TT Cab.
If you order full leather when you select seats you will get leather at the top of the doors and rear of dash, and alcantera on the door panels, arm rests, and lower dash instead of vinyl. I think the door pulls will also be in leather. AFAIK there is no way to place a conventional order for leather on the door panels (enough $$ and you can probably special order anything)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike where are you seeing that the rain sensors etc are standard? Ill look through my factory literature again but pretty sure I saw no mention of them as standard....be good to get to the bottom of this...
Macca, now this is the US configurator mind you, so it may be different for other countries, but if you click on "standard features" on the build page you get a list of features. Under Electrical Systems it shows:

Rain sensing windshield wiper system with aerodynamic wiper blades, 2 wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and heated washer nozzles.

If you then print out a list of standard and optional features after building your car, the rain sensing wipers are shown again as standard.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike in CA - It can be dicey...on that printout of all standard and optional features after you build your car...it also says "PORSCHE and 911 Turbo S logo on rear lid with chrome-colored finish..."

0Q991
Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Mike in CA - It can be dicey...on that printout of all standard and optional features after you build your car...it also says "PORSCHE and 911 Turbo S logo on rear lid with chrome-colored finish..."

0Q991
Yeah, I know there are errors and some of the option descriptions are carry-overs from different models. But you'd think they would get the list of standard features correct. Anyway, you're right it can be confusing and I'm confused....
Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike I have reviewed everything I have from the factory and there is no mention anywhere of these being standard. I would order them and if they are standard as it turns out then you should be logically refunded the cost. Thats what Im doing. Have finalized my order now with the dealer (removed a few things - white dials and the extra door leather bits as per this discussion) and now awaiting precise manufacturing date and schedule like the one you have been given...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
...it also says "PORSCHE and 911 Turbo S logo on rear lid with chrome-colored finish..."
I sent an email to porsche.com last week and they've now corrected the standard features description of the body. It now says "PORSCHE and GT3 logo on rear lid in Black".

Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FWIW, I have dimming mirrors on my Cayenne and they work very well, but didn't think I needed them on the GT3 and there's nothing that indicates they are standard. The rain sensing wipers are another story as depending where you look they are shown as both optional and standard.

If you order full leather when you select seats you will get leather at the top of the doors and rear of dash, and alcantera on the door panels, arm rests, and lower dash instead of vinyl. I think the door pulls will also be in leather. AFAIK there is no way to place a conventional order for leather on the door panels (enough $$ and you can probably special order anything)
I also was wondering about the leather included on the tops of the doors when ordering the leather seats....but what do you mean about the "rear of the dash"...do you mean the area by the windshield?

because on the 3D configurator that looks leather (as opposed to vinyl) too, when the leather seats are selected??
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I also was wondering about the leather included on the tops of the doors when ordering the leather seats....but what do you mean about the "rear of the dash"...do you mean the area by the windshield?

because on the 3D configurator that looks leather (as opposed to vinyl) too, when the leather seats are selected??
Sorry to be confusing. Somewhere Porsche describes the "front" of the dash as the part up by the windshield (as in the pic below) so I'm calling the rest of the dash the "rear" which is the curved part over the instruments and along the edge facing the driver/passenger. That rear part, as the configurator shows, is in leather with stitching when you order the extra cost leather on the seats.

And just to be clear, the tops of the doors (the curved "cap" with stitching above the aluminum trim strips) is also in leather when you choose the full leather seating options.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Configurator Questions