Sponsored by:

November allocation and build spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

again... PLASTI-DIP your wheels.

they look flat black, perfect finish.. and protect your original finish underneath.

oh... and it costs you $20 to do it

oh x2... when you don't like it anymore.. you just peel it off and your original wheel finish is perfectly preserved, free of chips and brake dust.. just like new.

My goal in life has become to not have a single person on this forum pay porsche $2,000 to have their rims painted black... please let me know how I'm doing.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Leon Lewis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
That is quite the build!

Is there a particular reason you skipped the Interior Leather, Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shell in Leather, XWK?

I may change to add the leather backs or painted seat back in exterior color.

I keep thinking mine is over the top. I'm considering dropping the seat backrest shell in leather, the instrument surround in leather, the fuse box cover in leather, and the illuminated stainless sills.

If you are going to keep it--who cares if its over the top. I dont buy for others, and if I sell it that's ok as well.

Here is my build for reference. Plan to have the wheels powdercoated locally in satin black.

Exterior Color, White, 0Q, $0
Interior Color, Leather Interior in Black/Alcantara® - Stitching in Guards Red, 68, $3,320

Exterior
Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor, P13, $690
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 082, $0
Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS), XEX, $1,345

Performance
Front Axle Lift System, 474, $3,490
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), 250, $0

Wheels
20-inch GT3 wheel, 431, $0

Interior
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way), P07, $2,635
Smoking Package, 583, $0
Floor Mats, 810, $0
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell, 581, $0
Seat Heating, 342, $690
Light Design Package, 630, $510
Interior Leather, Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shell in Leather, XWK, $1,870
SportDesign Steering Wheel, 840, $0
Fuse Box Cover in Leather, CUJ, $380
Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara®, CLP, $690
Leather Interior Package with Decorative Red Stitching, 749, $1,490
Instrument Surround in Leather, XNG, $370
Steering Column Casing in Leather, XNS, $465
Additional Interior Package, Dashboard in Leather, CZW, $1,710

Interior Aluminum
Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated, XXB, $900

Audio and Communications
Mobile Phone Preparation, 619, $0
HD Radio Receiver, 688, $370
Sound Package Plus, 490, $700
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module, P23, $0

Total Price* $152,975

Ryan
I like the build only thing I would add is PCCB's. Fantastic brakes. I have them on three other cars and they are terrific. I do track my car at least 5x per year or more if time allows. If I have to replace them so be it. The braking is epic compared to iron rotors. I think the car inspires more confidence with the PCCB's.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Leon Lewis
6th Gear

Originally Posted by frayed
Whoa! Well I guess if you have the flow and can spring for all those extras w/o much of a thought, then go for it (mostly). I'll only comment on the things that I'd find objectionable if your car showed up in the used market in a year:

- not a fan of red dials. overboard IMO.
- clear tail lights look like german rice to me.
- PCCB I'd skip if you plan a lot of track time; from your spec I'm guessing not so you'll be OK
- I think the all black wheels aren't flattering to the wheel design; stock finish is preferable
- carbon fiber: looks cool but it's just for decoration and not structural/functional. I'd skip.

But again all this is in the eye of the beholder.
Frayed: I may reconsider the clear brake lights since the car is red. I think it may look better with red. I like the black wheels in contrast to the red exterior, but I also saw the GT3 at the parade in Traverse City and the standard color looks fantastic. I do track my cars and I have 3 with carbon ceramic brakes including a superlegarra, and the braking performance is just so much better than iron --it inspires confidence. I do track events at least 5x per year, or more, time permitting. I have done Grattan, Watterford Hills and Gingerman. I prefer Grattan- long straights and negative camber turns and elevation changes. I never worry about the resale--if I am not happy with the car I would sell it whatever the spec. I think this car creates the opportunity to have it all a car around town and a beast on the track, hence the spec.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Leon Lewis
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Let me see you'll only lose 50k the day you leave the lot.
I never buy the car for the next guy-- and cars are not an investment--everyone loses money when they leave the lot. Based on the current market for 997 GT3's the new model should hold value fairly well. And you need to consider that the 991's are significantly more expensive than 997 models. If I spec'd it light, I wouldnt like it and would probably sell it---if i keep it, I lose nothing.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A top shelf build, look forward to seeing the pics. Jealous of the early deliveries.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
again... PLASTI-DIP your wheels.

they look flat black, perfect finish.. and protect your original finish underneath.

oh... and it costs you $20 to do it

oh x2... when you don't like it anymore.. you just peel it off and your original wheel finish is perfectly preserved, free of chips and brake dust.. just like new.

My goal in life has become to not have a single person on this forum pay porsche $2,000 to have their rims painted black... please let me know how I'm doing.
Yeah, but dude...plasti-dip doesn't look as good as powder coating or paint. It's amazing stuff for $5.99 a can! But I wouldn't run it on a new GT3.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Leon, understood. A heavy spec with a big price tag is relative. To me, $2k for an option is not a biggie, but $20k becomes something to contemplate. So money no object, definitely PCCBs. I'd opt for a heavy leather spec and skip carbon fiber and red dials.

But I feel ya on the PCCBs. I had them on two cars, and they are indeed epic. Your post made me start rethinking adding them to my build.

Enjoy and post pics!!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Arth
Racer

Great build!

Damn this post made me rethink some of my options

Though I think it's a bit too late for me to change anything
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by RobSpyder

Yeah, but dude...plasti-dip doesn't look as good as powder coating or paint. It's amazing stuff for $5.99 a can! But I wouldn't run it on a new GT3.
If done right, it looks perfect. The problem with powder, is that you take beautiful original wheels and permanently change them. I think of plasti-dip as just a protection like wrap or clear-bra, you remove it when its completed its protective duties, but with added benefit of being a cool black color. You can also plasti-dip clear FYI.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

I think the taillight a look good in std red, but the black headlights are epic-looking!.. Definitely makes car more aggressive.. Have seen them on a Panamera and on a 991s.. Can't wait to see on a gt3.

Another little thing I wanted to try, is to coat the headlight lenses with yellow tint.. A-la "le mans" car. I've seen a 997 gt3 with this look and I thought it was fantastic
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd originally ordered my GT3 in Amaranth Red - having never seen a car in that color. From the color samples, I thought that it would be brighter than my current Ruby Red. My dealer had a Boxster (customer order) in Amaranth, so I got to see it side by side. From some angles, I loved the Amaranth. But, it has a lot of travel - from some angles it looks very different.

Here's the angle that I thought looked awesome:

Name:  amaranth_boxster_05.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  186.0 KB

Here's the angle that I didn't like as much (I thought it took on an orange hue):

Name:  amaranth_boxster_02.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  181.9 KB

The color reminds me of Toyota's Barcelona Red...

Scott
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

No
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Lewis
I like the build only thing I would add is PCCB's. Fantastic brakes. I have them on three other cars and they are terrific. I do track my car at least 5x per year or more if time allows. If I have to replace them so be it. The braking is epic compared to iron rotors. I think the car inspires more confidence with the PCCB's.
If you are going to seriously track it, PCCBs will be a liability on the pocket book. They are shockingly expensive to replace each season (~20K), rotors last about 2x longer than iron, and you go through more pads. I couldn't tell the difference between PCCB and iron with racing pads in a 20min session in texas heat at TWS with R6s. My PCCB rotors are in a box in the attic.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth
Great build!

Damn this post made me rethink some of my options

Though I think it's a bit too late for me to change anything
Not late at all, no "build buckets" have been released by Porsche, which means your order is nothing but a piece of paper sitting on the dealers desk. It'll be several more weeks at least before the order is actually inputted and designated as a build. Even then, you'll have a few weeks to change at that point.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Arth
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluehinder

Not late at all, no "build buckets" have been released by Porsche, which means your order is nothing but a piece of paper sitting on the dealers desk. It'll be several more weeks at least before the order is actually inputted and designated as a build. Even then, you'll have a few weeks to change at that point.
Actually, according to my dealer my car is under production. Delivery end of August.

I live in Dubai btw

Quick Reply: November allocation and build spec