Sponsored by:

991 GT3 video review by AutoCar

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Sutcliffe knows his stuff. He and Harris are the best car journos in the UK.

And he handles himself like a boss, even when F1 hotshoes run out of talent while they're driving you around a track...

Formula 1 Driver Rolls Jaguar Roadcar - YouTube
He almost had that....not. Like the way he kept turning the wheel hoping something good would happen.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
The review lacks some true substance, that's all.
thats all? thats why i read/watch reviews. granted he had just 2 hrs w/ the car, it fell short on substance. CH's was better and way more entertaining.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,784 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
His enthusiasm is crystal clear and no one is questioning the greatness of the new GT3. I'd likely put a deposit down in my dealer if there aren't already 6 ppl in front of me. The review lacks some true substance, that's all.
I got the impression that he was so blown away by the car that he was struggling to find words and find a way to analyze/critique the car substantively. Seems that there was nothing about the car he didn't like - steering, tranny, handling, engagement, sound, comfort, etc. And really CH only had a 'philosophical' issue with manual not being offered.

At heart, I'm a purist, but am keeping an open mind towards this car, trying to evaluate it for what it is and my intended use, rather than preconceived expectations based on the GT3 badge (Carrera RS sounds fine to me).

All of this said, they still need to get on the ball with the sport buckets, CL wheels aren't ideal for track use, 20" wheels will limit options for track tires (and increase the price), and time will tell if the car is tough enough overall to handle track use.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

On top of his enthusiasm, that had that be faked. Face it, that car shifted too fast, was too composed and went too fast. Its engine revved as high as being phased out race engines have done for some time. What does Porsche know about engineering and innovation anyway?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good grief.

Every review on this forum gets blasted as being tainted or untrustworthy. Now this guy is just a babbling idiot. Get over yourselves.

Every single person here knows all the technical details of the new 3. I want to hear driving impressions b/c, at the end of the day, whatever the performance specs, I'll only keep a car that is fun to drive in the garage. I don't GAS if he makes up words.

I'd say he was 'deeply impressed'. There, does that fix it for you?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
He almost had that....not. Like the way he kept turning the wheel hoping something good would happen.
Pizzonia was not long for the F1 world at that point. I think he's driving a DP in Grand Am these days if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sutcliffe had just 2 hours with the car and some are complaining the review wasn't more in depth. It was probably the single most enthusiastic endorsement I've ever heard about any car from an auto journalist and others are trying to discount it. At some points, the reviewer was literally rendered speechless. If you don't think that was at least somewhat impressive, bias is trumping reason here.

Oh well, get used to it. There are going to be more reviews similar to this one....
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Whether it sucks or not, the thing looks bad a$$.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Nice review and I've enjoyed watching the old car's review in comparison.
I'm not a big fan of this reviewer,he comes off a bit over the top,but that shouldn't take away from the new car's impression.
I think the new car looks a little bit more up to date in comparison with the old one,which is normal and definitely sounds better!
It definitely looks like the car's focus group has changed,or let's say expanded. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen,as far as I'm concerned,I'll take the old car's gearbox any day over those fast shifts in the torque converterless automatic.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
Whether it sucks or not, the thing looks bad a$$.
Almost makes me want to order white.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I have always thought that Sutcliffe is an idiot. An idiot way over his head. He never has anything intelligent to say, is not very thoughtful, and has no idea what he is doing.
Steve is one of the best shoes in motoring journalism, period. This is a guy who was within a half second a lap of a pro on his second time ever in an F1 car:
You're welcome to your opinion, but saying he's "in over his head" and "has no idea what he's doing" smacks of ignorance, IMHO. "Autocar's finest driver" is how they introduce him on their mast head, and I'd suggest they are understating it.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I can tell you how all of his future reviews will go.

"This car is fantastic, great, best ever, etc..."

They can't all be fantastic, the best ever, great, etc... now can they? He may be a good driver, but he is not very good at sharing his thoughts with his viewers.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Deleted
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Sutcliff must be a paid-off Porsche shill. It can't possibly be what he says it is, "The best car Porsche has ever made", "bargain of the century", "maybe the best sports car I've ever driven".

Will someone please remind him what an imposter this car is, and to stop having such a good time, because we know that to do that you need a clutch pedal and a Mezger.
Thank you for clarifying the review for me. I am totally in awe of your ability to
conclusively define the essence of a car simply from its photographs. Your abilities are indeed astonishing and I am awestruck by them. I have obviously been delusional for decades believing seeing and driving the actual car was essential prior to verifying a foregone conclusion.

You are a wonderful example of that famous quotation, "It is better to remain silent and have your friends think you a fool, than speak and remove all doubt"
Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo

Thank you for clarifying the review for me. I am totally in awe of your ability to
conclusively define the essence of a car simply from its photographs. Your abilities are indeed astonishing and I am awestruck by them. I have obviously been delusional for decades believing seeing and driving the actual car was essential prior to verifying a foregone conclusion.

You are a wonderful example of that famous quotation, "It is better to remain silent and have your friends think you a fool, than speak and remove all doubt"
I believe consolidated was just being ironic to posters of that type...
You might want to read his post again...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 video review by AutoCar