Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mezger Dominates Le Mans GTE Pro Class

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Porsche will race the new motor as soon as the parts pantry gets sufficiently bare...
I assure you the new engine is ready and willing!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Not exactly. They have a year after racing it to produce a street going model with the same motor for homologation. They are well within their window to race the new motor if they wanted to. You would think they would want some live action from it. Cup cars or something at least already.
A fair point. However, since the 991 GT3 motor is brand new, it makes sense to give it a little development time; the live action will happen soon enough. I don't know how many units are required to be produced for homologation, but since 2013 cars had to be spec'd in 2012, and production on the 991 GT3 won't really get rolling until the almost 2014, that one year window you mention might have been difficult to hit.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's from the end of the racing season. So late 2014 is when they would have had to produce the car. And it's only 100 units so that wouldn't have been a problem either.

I would think they would want to run them in some racing series first, letting the big release also be the major test seems short sighted to me. Knowing Porsche, the race engine and GT3 engine were developed in conjunction with each other. They HAVE to have it racing somewhere. That or some extreme confidence in this new motor.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 991 RSR that ran LeMans was a super slick low drag body specific to La Sarthe, so its performance relative to the private teams running 997RSR was a fluke.

The 991 GT3Cup (Mezger) is not running any faster than the 997GT3Cup on the streets of Monaco, despite of another 10Hp. It might prove faster later this year in the SuperCup, but so far is not producing better results.

Daytona results on the 9A1 have been done on a class that runs a lot slower than GT. In slow motion, even a Miata (no dry-sump, disposable engine) can take the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Once a 9A1 engine car gets to run the same lap times as the FIA-ALMS-GT cars, it will reach the point where reliability can be established.

Fiat downsized the F430 engine from 4.3 to 4.0, to run in GT2, but that required high revs. The successful 458 GTE (GT2) revs low, under 7,000rpm but keeps the 4.5L, this produces a bigger area within the power curve in each gear.

The Vette, Viper, Fiat are revving low to produce the limited power mandated by FIA/ACO. VW cannot afford to release a low rev engine to produce the target HP out of a 3.8, so they need to develop an engine with a larger displacement, or otherwise run the risk of short life engines (30 hours engines that can go south on a 24 hours race).

The FIA/ALMS Aero Beetle needs a 4.6 stroker flat-six with DFI, fat torque and enough RPM to make target power (450-470Hp for GT).

Olaf Manthey was there for a reason, his vast experience racing Aero Beetles paid off, but the 991RSR needs a different powerplant, one with good torque.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Porsche has just given me a couple of shots of Kool-aid with this Le Mans win!
Good job Porsche!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The 991 RSR that ran LeMans was a super slick low drag body specific to La Sarthe, so its performance relative to the private teams running 997RSR was a fluke.
The drivers specifically mentioned the improved handling because of the new suspension and wider front track - "it feels like a prototype now as opposed to a GT before" was one such comment from Lieb I think - and they also discussed how much more durable the design was with the rads being re-positioned. The aero played into it as well and you may delude yourself into thinking the other teams don't tune their aero to Le Sarthe but they do. In any case, the wider front track and wheel base will benefit the car at all tracks and also the road car.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bergmeister said that. We will see when it gets back to the states how fast it is for sure. And well now that the cat is out of the bag, as the commentators said, what they will do. I think they will go back to sandbagging in preparation for their first full season. But it will be harder now.

It's a shame all of this sandbagging going on.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Bergmeister said that. We will see when it gets back to the states how fast it is for sure. And well now that the cat is out of the bag, as the commentators said, what they will do. I think they will go back to sandbagging in preparation for their first full season. But it will be harder now.

It's a shame all of this sandbagging going on.
You're right, it was Bergmeister. And I agree with you, the current system rewards sandbagging by making allowances using weight, restrictors, etc. I know they are trying to keep the racing competitive and reduce cost but I would prefer that they set the rules universally and then let each manufacturer do the best that they can to build a fast car within them. If someone misses the mark with an uncompetitive design, like has happened with McLaren in F1 this year, too bad. Try again next season. It would be more honest, IMO.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Oh and lets fix this title. The mezger didnt dominate anything. The 991 rsr did very well. There was a mezger in the gte am car driven by patrick long and their fastest lap was over 2 seconds slower. Pat long in the car validates the equality of the drivers.

And even still, the new bmw (aston martin) and their bucket full of rules waivers were still significantly quicker. They just had an aweful day. But the 991's proved their merit among cars that actually play by the rules.

It does show that the Mezger can still be competitive in the right platform. And hp levels are going to exceed what the mezger can effectively do. However as mentioned. The mezger is going away because its not competitive for the street car any more. Too expensive and maxed out.
+1
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The Vette, Viper, Fiat are revving low to produce the limited power mandated by FIA/ACO. VW cannot afford to release a low rev engine to produce the target HP out of a 3.8, so they need to develop an engine with a larger displacement, or otherwise run the risk of short life engines (30 hours engines that can go south on a 24 hours race).

The FIA/ALMS Aero Beetle needs a 4.6 stroker flat-six with DFI, fat torque and enough RPM to make target power (450-470Hp for GT).
Any thoughts on the life of the 9000 rpm GT3 DFI motor for the street / track enthusiast market?

Ryan
Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not positive but i think the dempsey piero car was a 2011 rsr. i had old rear bumper and areo. im sure that the car a bit slower than the 2012 rsr with the updates and also much slower the the 991 rsr..
but i could be totally wrong here
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ AM cars must be the previous seasons cars I think ie can't be the brand new model
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
im not positive but i think the dempsey piero car was a 2011 rsr. i had old rear bumper and areo. im sure that the car a bit slower than the 2012 rsr with the updates and also much slower the the 991 rsr..
but i could be totally wrong here
I think so too..but IMSAs RSR was a 2012 one and it won the AM class...

Quick Reply: Mezger Dominates Le Mans GTE Pro Class